• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

33 days to walk

Stellaluna

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances -2016
Portuguese -2019
Le Puy - July 2022
Hi all,
I'm about to buy my plane ticket and am having last minute jitters about my timing . I will start walking on July 5 and need to be in Santiago for August 7. that gives me 33 days to walk. My sense is that that is quite a reasonable length of time to take. I am fairly confident about my fitness level but just don't want to feel rushed. I also have to be back in Ottawa by the 10th so I can't really take any longer.
Any input?
Thanks,
Jennifer

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
By no means am I saying it's the only way to walk it, but the Brierley guidebook is designed to do it in 33 days. I have another guidebook by a guy named Sergi Ramis where the CF is done in 30 days. So, yeah it's plenty doable in that time frame if you are in reasonable physical condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
I'm about to buy my plane ticket and am having last minute jitters about my timing . I will start walking on July 5 and need to be in Santiago for August 7. that gives me 33 days to walk. My sense is that that is quite a reasonable length of time to take. I am fairly confident about my fitness level but just don't want to feel rushed. I also have to be back in Ottawa by the 10th so I can't really take any longer.
Any input?
Thanks,
Jennifer

you should be fine, averaging anywhere between 20-25 km a day. that gives you so nice afternoons to siesta or explore.

buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all,
Any input?
Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer, all being well you should have no problem. For what it's worth, I walked it both times in 32 days, could have done it in 31 but chose to stay in Monte Gozo. No days off though but then definitely no rushing either :)
Buen camino!

You didn't say where you planned to start from. I'll assume you are thinking SJPdP. Do-able? Certainly.

However, do you want to put yourself under the gun from your first step? Personally, I'd build a bit more time into my schedule so I have some leeway. With 33 days I'd start in Pamplona. But for me it was more important to walk from wherever I started than to start in a particular place, so I padded my schedule instead of starting in Bordeaux (I really wanted to start on Ile d'Oleron).

I spent 35 days walking and took one full rest day to get to SdC, but a guy I walked with the first couple days made it to Muxia in the same amount of time. We met up again in SdC and both felt we walked at a comfortable pace and had deep experiences. So just consider your personal limits.

Hi all,
Any input?
Thanks,
Jennifer
Hi Jennifer, I only use a gide book to see where the albergue's are and what the distance is between the towns and villages. You will be fine with the 33 days you have.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My advice would be to wait until you have more time. There is a lot to see and do and the longer it takes you, the more you will enjoy it. Remember this may be the only Camino you will ever do.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everone. I actually just bought my plane ticket!

My advice would be to wait until you have more time. There is a lot to see and do and the longer it takes you, the more you will enjoy it. Remember this may be the only Camino you will ever do.

I really see this as being the first of many!

But you may never do it if you don't go now! ;)

Definitely! I want to seize the day so to speak while I am mobile and strong regardless of the fact that my schedule is slightly limiting.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in 33 days last year. There were some long days and some shorter days but no rest days, though I found I didn't want to stop. I did take a 20 km bus ride from Astorga to Rabinal to give myself a bit more room in the schedule as I found 30km+ days where not comfortable, although certainly doable. I'm glad you are just going ahead and doing it. Give yourself permission to experience whatever happens and not to "have to" do anything and then you'll be great. There will be pain, tiredness, laughter, frustration, questioning, relationships, good days and not as good days. All of it! Go for it!

I walked from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in 33 days last year. There were some long days and some shorter days but no rest days, though I found I didn't want to stop. I did take a 20 km bus ride from Astorga to Rabinal to give myself a bit more room in the schedule as I found 30km+ days where not comfortable, although certainly doable. I'm glad you are just going ahead and doing it. Give yourself permission to experience whatever happens and not to "have to" do anything and then you'll be great. There will be pain, tiredness, laughter, frustration, questioning, relationships, good days and not as good days. All of it! Go for it!
Thanks for this!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for this!
Walked the camino frances in 2012 using the Brierley guide book,took 31 days to Santiago pushed ahead some days and slowed down on others ,starting on June 26 this year and built in a few more days to hopefully reach finisterre ,enjoy every day and soak the experience up like a sponge Buen Camino.

Hi all,
Any input?
Thanks,
Jennifer
We made it in 31 days from Pamplona with a 30 pound, 14 month old baby and a woman over 60. We do walk every day at home, but still, I think that should be a good sign that 33 should be enough for most people from SJPDP

I also did it in 33 days. Although there were a couple of long days, most of them were pretty doable and I never felt rushed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back