• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

99 days to go...

BrendaC

Hi, my name's Brenda and I'm from Australia. I'm doing my very first Camino starting mid-October this year, all by myself. I must admit, I'm a tad nervous, and feel as though there are a million things I should know. At the same time, I'm happy to discover them along the way. My main problem is getting the weight of the pack down! I'm 56 and want to start at St Jean DP. Seems like stopping at Orisson 1st day would be the way to go. Someone, anyone, give me some tips!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Camino is a great time to learn to listen to your body. You will know how far you can/should walk. This initial leg is demanding so it is even easier to know how far you will be able to go. It is not a race; your prize is not in Santiago, but it is each day you share with other pilgrims on the Camino. If you haven't had a chance to read Walk in a Relaxed Manner, by Joyce Rupp, this would be a great time to do so. She was 60 when she started her Camino.

Before you know it, you will be placing your first step out of SJPP on your own Camino. God speed.

Mike

Hi Brenda,
I walked last year @ 57years young! Had probs with feet, heels mainly my pack was tooo heavy 10kgs !!!
I think the best thing you can do is get your pack down to 7-7.5kgs once I did that I walked the whole 800kms see if you can get the kms with weight before you leave home!! Lots of practise seems to be the way to go
Susanna :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Brenda,
Stopping at Orisson is a great idea. We did that and were very glad that we did. Also, we made friends that night that we still keep in contact with. We took our time but always managed to find accommodation. You are walking at a good time of year. Enjoy your Camino.
Sharon

Hi Brenda and welcome to the Forum :) . Orisson is a good place to stop, it's not too far and the welcome is good. A suggestion for getting the weight of your pack down is to lay everthing out on the floor and make 2 piles - one pile for the things you absolutely, definitely need and the second pile for the things you MIGHT :?: need. You then discard the second pile :!: Walking from mid October should be very pleasant, the autumn colours will be beautiful and there will be fewer pilgrims so the refugios will be less crowded and more peaceful, but of course the days, especially morning and evening will be quite cool. Since you will be walking into November it will be worth a bit of research/planning to see which refugios will be closed as you move along the Way - eg. the English refuge at Rabanal closes at the end of October - there are others open in the village.
I'm sure you will get lots more advice on this forum.
Best wishes and Buen Camino :)
Brendan

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.