• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

A different sort of pilgrimage

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Cycled from Clonmacnoise in Ireland, France, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre.
Since my camino last year I've spent some time working in the refugee camps in northern France.

While building refugee shelters in Dunkirk last month I had the great pleasure of working with two young German journeymen carpenters.

They were 'on the waltz', travelling for three years and a day to work for different employers and learn how things were done elsewhere. They wear traditional dress, a hat signifying their status as a free person, and a single gold earring.

There are lots of rules associated with being a journeyman, like not having more than five euro when you start and never coming closer than 50 km to home. It's definitely a different form of pilgrimage.

For a very interesting look at this 1000-year-old tradition see

A Fascinating Tradition: Traveling Journeymen - Understanding Germany

German journeymen at work. Image by Krabatmühle-Schwarzkollm e.V., licensed…

UNDERSTANDINGGERMANY.DE|BY JUDITH MEYER

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

thank you for this. will also read up on the link.
yes - it's quite a tradition. college is not not ever the only option. in those professional channels - one is first an apprentice , then journeyman, then can study with another master perhaps to become a master of the trade him/herself....after being tested / reviewed by other 'masters'.
when you read books by Hermann Hesse or others, encounters with journey men is often described - i love that they still wear the traditional outfits.
(after i completed my apprenticeship w/ diploma, i sort of ... became a "journey woman" ... but not for long.
it's a most interesting lifestyle - thanks again for sharing - happy for your that you had those encounters...

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've seen them around a few times - thank you for telling me what it's all about. I just thought they were going to some kind of folk-dancing festival...