• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did it make a difference

William Garza

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime?

Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain

Are you in the ever present because of it, or are you still back..there....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes
No
I am still learning to be in the moment. The Camino didn't directly help me learn although it did help me practice and indirectly triggered a series of learning opportunities.

Such a beautiful, thoughtful thread William - thank you for posting it.

I can say a wholehearted “yes” to your first two questions and for the third, see who I am, under my avatar.

Like so very many on this Forum, I think about the Camino in a larger sense every day and it has brought so much joy to my life.

Best wishes from Oz -
Jenny

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

No. No change after my first Camino and no after my second either – and I never expected it otherwise.
The only difference for me is the fine memories and the determination to go on a third in a not so distant future.

I guess it depends on your life situation, your state of mind and soul, if a Camino will potentially have a huge impact on you. Some people do not need change or enlightenment in their life, others are not open or ready for it, for others again it is a great chance to learn about themselves and to find answers (or questions).

I can say a wholehearted “yes” to your first two questions and for the third, see who I am, under my avatar.

...I think about the Camino in a larger sense every day and it has brought so much joy to my life.
My answers are exactly the same as Jenny's. I had no expectations that would be the case, but that’s how it has turned out. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Walking 800 km is not a small thing nor is it a regular thing so yes, of course it changes you. Some more than others. “It’s poisonal” as we say in these parts, how much it changes you and why. It must mean a lot to many of us though, because we keep going back again and again! Call it spiritual, call it a big break from daily life, call it a holy trek .,.. fact is, it’s different and it’s challenging and it’s fun.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I guess no! It was a lovely month or so, to be able to walk each day, weather was good, and a nice memory, but certainly nothing beyond that. I had no expectations to be honest and any kind of transformation was not expected or even required.

Certain things have stayed with me in my life, seeing extreme poverty, people doing really kind things for me, but I never expected walk to change me mentally.

Yes, yes, yes.
Somehow.
Living more in the present than ever! You know that every moment is precious and when it's gone, it's gone forever. I feel not bound, but drawn to a simpler, more active lifestyle.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
First of all, I am an agnostic and a true cynic. That said, the Camino did make a fundamental change in both my life and the way that I look at things. I've lost about 40 pounds by walking Caminos. I've also taken a much better attitude towards adversity (basically to take it as it comes and work through it). Also, I've learned that if you take people out of hostile situations (like competitive work) they turn into nice people that you can share a great and simple meal with, talk about things that really matter and put your ego to one side.

So, yes, despite my nature - the Caminos have changed me (and all for the good).

Yes… in 2015 walked the Camino Frances. After we walked it we realized we needed very little to be happy. We sold our house and downsized moving into an apartment.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I find bits of every post on this thread that I can relate to, so many speak for me.

I think I'll add, "It's poisonal" to my vocab.
It's a good one, and I too, add new words on the forum to my vocabulary. Yesterday I heard "helegrino" and today from Alex, "sheepegrino".😅

Absolutely yes. That’s not just my feeling but after my first Camino in 2012 my sister remarked on the difference in me, something profound enough that she embarked on her own Camino. Every time I return to walk I discover (and rediscover) the lessons the Camino has given me. Simplicity is the god of happiness, friends come in all shapes and sizes, the world is filled with good people, every moment is special if we only let ourselves see it that way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Yes it made a difference.
It brought us as a family closer together. (4 of us walked together)
I pushed myself further than I had ever been before.
It made me stronger and enriched my life.
It gave me an admiration for the Spanish people and their culture.
I felt one with pilgrims from all over the world.
I learnt to travel light.
Walking for 2 months with 6kg on my back gave me a tremendous sense of freedom.
It was all about the journey.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes to all three questions. In my personal experience, I think it helped to be open to change. But my recommendation is to go with no expectations for such change and you will not be disappointed.

Regarding the soul, that's a pretty deep question and hesitate to share overly much for fear of violating Rule #2. If your question is about deepening faith, then yes it did. No, I didn't have any mystical experiences, visions, apparitions, etc. But I did make productive use of the time for contemplation, prayer, Mass, and to experience a loving, moving (literally!), shared community in a way I can't imagine experiencing anywhere else. I have had the privilege to see others have profound and moving experiences.

Am I in the present because of it? I think so. I enjoy reflecting on my Camino experiences, but I'm also aware that it's easy to romanticize past experiences and using them as a form of escapism can be problematic when done to excess. Now if you'll pardon me, I need to go review the 2,000 pictures from my last Camino. ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes to all three questions. In my personal experience, I think it helped to be open to change. But my recommendation is to go with no expectations for such change and you will not be disappointed.

Regarding the soul, that's a pretty deep question and hesitate to share overly much for fear of violating Rule #2. If your question is about deepening faith, then yes it did. No, I didn't have any mystical experiences, visions, apparitions, etc. But I did make productive use of the time for contemplation, prayer, Mass, and to experience a loving, moving (literally!), shared community in a way I can't imagine experiencing anywhere else. I have had the privilege to see others have profound and moving experiences.

Am I in the present because of it? I think so. I enjoy reflecting on my Camino experiences, but I'm also aware that it's easy to romanticize past experiences and using them as a form of escapism can be problematic when done to excess. Now if you'll pardon me, I need to go review the 2,000 pictures from my last Camino. ;)
Sorry for the literary licence,it was more concerned with a persons thoughts going back to a place and time unexpectedly..or..fondly to the same..and 2k!!!!

It made a difference to me, and I enjoyed it enough the first time to want to go back and do it again. Each time I discover something new about myself, not big things maybe but the clarity that comes with the walking has helped me make some decisions to be implemented on my return home.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All experiences change people IMO .. hard not to be affected by all the people around you sharing similar goals.

I've chatted to pilgrims who were using their time to decide on momentous life choices, divorce or not , which career , mourning loss of loved ones.

I went searching for some peace of mind, found some too.

I'd half guess that those who say they weren't changed in even a tiny way by a Camino are the cause of the smell of burning undergarments. :p

All experiences change people IMO .. hard not to be affected by all the people around you sharing similar goals.
(...)
I'd half guess that those who say they weren't changed in even a tiny way by a Camino are the cause of the smell of burning undergarments. :p
Of course you are right that everything we do and experience affects us in a way, but so does even our daily life. Those of us who say it did not affect us really mean it did not affect us more than the ordinary :)

In my life I have done my share of long distance hiking so the walking was no physical and no psychological challenge at all. Actually it was easier and more comfortable and less risky than what I did elsewhere before. Also I have had and still have many deep conversations with people around me. So in this sense my two Caminos fit well into my life, but they did not "change" me. Of course both my occasional long distance hikes and my openness in conversations with friends and strangers have over the decades shaped and defined who I am, no question. But the Caminos were no deviation from this part in any sense. Hence my statement.
If you already are quite tanned, spending some extra time in the sun does not get you much darker ...

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

No. But it was a lovely walk, and I want to go back as often as I can.
It didn't change anything in my life, it was just a nice break from the daily rat race, and made me wish I could spend more time in nature and surrounded by a slower simpler lifestyle.

It sounds like these questions are for you.
Me? I traveled 25 years or so on my version
The difference is i came home a stranger. Stranger to my home,family and place where I grew up.
I dont fit in
People dont understand my world views,vision and how i look at life.

The traveled ones understand me
They have seen,felt and lived away from the safe and....boring..

The world took me, the Saudad was too much to bear
Fado..and other words in other languages.

Forever burned by a different light, i cant see what they see
Cant feel what they feel..

And I am ok with that and more
Mine is a sensual world..of feeling,hearing,smelling...breathing
All separate
All at once

Forever now searching for perfect moments.
Every sense screaming at times because I
I am alive...entirely living the moment with every sense....sparking and exciting
And that is too much for people
Some people.

And I have seen so many that an intense longing for that rush brings tears.
I have frost bit
Burned in the sun
Thirsted where gallons of water were needed
Sun so golden,warm,caressed by wind as if angels were touching my being

I could go on
Yes.it made all the difference.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back