• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

A Gudiña to get a new albergue

• Thread starter Deleted member 73526
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 73526

The Xunta has announced an investment of around €300,000 to convert the Casa de la Viúva in A Gudiña to an albergue. As far as I can tell, the building is currently used as a tourism office.

I imagine that these plans were formulated some time ago. But given the current situation, I'm struggling to see how this is the best use of money. A Gudiña has an existing municipal albergue and several private accommodations. I think €300K could be put into some programs to help a range of camino businesses to get through these lean times...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As long as I can remember the albergue in A Gudina was notorious for bedbugs in several reports here and on other Camino sites. Twice I passed through the town the albergue was closed for fumigation and also all the hospitaleros before A Gudina warned me not to stay there if possible. It was Xunta albergue so I can't see how the changing of location could improve it???

Notoriety is harder to clear than bugs. In Nov. 2017 I was told that the infamous infestation was a thing of the past. Sept. 2019 was also fine.
With its concrete walls, steel furniture, and plastic-covered mattresses, it strikes me as a comparatively inhospitable space for bedbugs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed there in 2015, one of my friends was bitten by a bedbug. The hospitalero took immediate action. Exactly a year later the Albergue was temporarily closed probably for fumigation. This being said I have to agree with Raggy. The Albergue is clean and indeed seems an inhospitable place for bedbugs

I had no choice but to stay there in early October 2017 as all the private accommodation was full,mainly with construction workers . Was very pleasantly surprised. No sign of bedbugs either.

The old albergue was relatively new in an upscale residential square ( just after the railway bridge?).

I suspect they are unlocking this higher residential value to create local jobs on both sites.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The old albergue was relatively new in an upscale residential square ( just after the railway bridge?).
I suspect they are unlocking this higher residential value to create local jobs on both sites.
I don't remember that there was an upscale and a downscale end to A Gudiña. If anything, I'd have guessed that the residences near the albergue were rather ordinary, but it's a fair bet that real estate values and construction projects and support for politicians had something to do with this decision.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum