• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route out of Ourense?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I went right by way of Tamallancos. According to Gronze it has less road walking and in May while not bone dry it wasn’t too muddy. Gerald Kelly says it can be muddy and flooded after rain. Having not gone left I can’t compare but as a rule less road walking is my preference.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I walked out of Ourense last week. After crossing the Ponte Romana and walked about 1K I decided to turn right at the option....it was steep in spots but a lovely route...

I took the route through Tamallancos, but cannot now recall whether there were particular reasons for that. It was steep getting out of the valley, and there were spectacular views from the higher slopes, but I would expect the alternative route to provide that too. Gronze suggests this route has less asphalt, but is, as you already know, a bit longer.

Last edited:
I've walked both way several times. There's not a lot to choose between them but if you go right you're out of the city faster and, as someone else said, less road walking, bloody steep though!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We took the steeper route. It was magical as there was fog so people who were going down, as we went up, were quite ghostly-looking when they first appeared. The quality of the sound was different, almost ethereal. And what joy when we got to the "top" where a way-marker told us we were 99kms from Santiago!

As far as I know, the only real selling point of the left one is "less mud". Or at least that was my take-away when I was making my own decision.

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
Be careful when you organise a transfer from the Arca de Caparra (Via’s emblem) to one of the three hotels in Jarilla. The guide books we are using state that you will be picked up at ARCA DE...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back