• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A long day to Champlitte

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
Knowing I had a 23 mile day ahead plus the predicted temperatures to be about 80 degrees, I set my alarm for 4:30 and was out the door by 5:20 with my headlamp lighting the way ahead of me.
Throughout the day it was hills, beautiful scenery and dense dark forests trails.
Agricultural fields seem to be in my rear view mirror and more pasturelands are on the horizon.
Made it to Champlitte mid afternoon with the sun beating down from above.
I found the first open business, bought an ice cream and sat in the shade of a church enjoying it like a 5 year old at Christmas.

Attachments

• 20230527_131443.jpg
    20230527_131443.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 921
  • 20230527_110921.jpg
    20230527_110921.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230527_110921.jpg
    20230527_110921.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230527_084000.jpg
    20230527_084000.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230527_191605.jpg
    20230527_191605.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You're doing better than me at this point Bob. I limped into Champlitte with shin splints & it was from here I skipped ahead to rest & recover at Besançon.

One of my favourite things to look out for was the altitude markers; they can be found in most towns & villages usually on a government building (like the Town Hall) or the church (as in Champlitte from memory). Have you noticed them?
alt mt Champlitte.jpg church Champlitte.jpg

Really enjoying your posts & pics!
👣🌏

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Jeanine- Look for Patsi Grant on the ferry. She is an older lady with spikey grey hair who hands out free shots of alcohol. She is hysterically funny.

Knowing I had a 23 mile day ahead plus the predicted temperatures to be about 80 degrees, I set my alarm for 4:30 and was out the door by 5:20 with my headlamp lighting the way ahead of me.
Throughout the day it was hills, beautiful scenery and dense dark forests trails.
Agricultural fields seem to be in my rear view mirror and more pasturelands are on the horizon.
Made it to Champlitte mid afternoon with the sun beating down from above.
I found the first open business, bought an ice cream and sat in the shade of a church enjoying it like a 5 year old at Christmas.
Don't forget tomorrow (Monday 29th) is a public holiday in France, so stock up. And you amaze me...the sun beating down "from above"....whoever would have thought it?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have not seen them, but I will now look for them near the local city halls
Alt. markers are usually down low, around a foot off the ground...not always easy to spot esp as they could be on a Govt building or a church...but I found my eyes were soon trained to seek them out.

The pizza 🍕 looks heavenly after a long days walk; have you braved one from a vending machine? I didn't....🤔
vending machine pizza...hmm.jpg
👣🌏

@Tassie - Yes I did, out of desperation. In this one village I stayed in, which consisted of 7 houses there were no restaurants or markets etc...
The homeowner was nice enough to drive me to one of the vending machines, walk me through the purchase process and I had a "pizza" in hand in 8 minutes.
The "pizza" was about one step up in taste from the cardboard box it was packaged in.
Oh well! Like we say in the U.S. "Desperate times, call for desperate measures".

...The "pizza" was about one step up in taste from the cardboard box it was packaged in.
Oh well! Like we say in the U.S. "Desperate times, call for desperate measures".
😄 We have that saying here in Aus too...thankfully it never came to that on my VF!
On the up side, I guess it filled the gap & you don't mention getting sick afterwards... win(ish), win(ish)! 😉
👣🌏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Tassie - Yes I did, out of desperation. In this one village I stayed in, which consisted of 7 houses there were no restaurants or markets etc...
The homeowner was nice enough to drive me to one of the vending machines, walk me through the purchase process and I had a "pizza" in hand in 8 minutes.
The "pizza" was about one step up in taste from the cardboard box it was packaged in.
What a kind homeowner to drive you to the vending machine. Your pizza reminds me of cold vending machine sandwiches🥪 I have eaten a few times in the US...they are absolutely awful😝, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
I'm enjoying your posts on the Via F.! You walked 23 miles yesterday?!😳...This year I found I am done after 23 kilometers!

Thanks for the update Bob! I arrived in London yesterday, went straight to the Canterbury Cathedral and on to Barham for the night yesterday. Today we walked to Dover Castle and are currently waiting for passenger loading on the bus to the ferry. So far so good!
I will be starting later this week. How was the bus service to Calais? I thought of walking onboard.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm not sure about that. Buses probably could. Cars and trucks certainly do.
I was on foot and it was really easy and comfortable.
A bus does pick you up as a foot passenger and drives you to the terminal. Maybe that's what she was referring to.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will be starting later this week. How was the bus service to Calais? I thought of walking onboard.
You are not permitted to walk from the check in point to the boarding point at the ferry. There is a shuttle bus that you take from the Dover foot passenger check in point to the loading ramps and another that picks you up at the exit ramps when you arrive by ferry at the Calais dock. You can easily walk to to Dover ferry check in point from Dover. Leaving the Calais ferry shuttle drop off point and walking to the city center is possible - but a bit of a pain because there are so many fenced areas you cannot pass through. You might want to take a taxi or bus from the shuttle bus drop off point at Calais. I walked into Calais but it took awhile. Watch the GPS maps carefully to get onto the main road if you do walk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9. It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.