• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lucca to Rome - a retrospective

MichaelC

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023: Via Francigena, Lucca to Rome
I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9.

It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order, even after 8 months, so this is just going to be a data dump.

Day-to-day
I would start at a coffee shop or with breakfast at the hotel around 7 or 7:30 am. I'd also pick up a sandwich, as I rarely made it to a town for lunch. I usually met others on the trail, mostly Italian or French. I only met a few Americans.

I would arrive in town around 2 pm. Most ostelli wouldn't open until 3 or 4 pm, so I'd find a cafe and nurse a negroni. I never saw other pilgrims at the cafes in the afternoon. I would wonder where they all went? At the ostello I would take a nap - which I never did in France or Spain. I needed one on the VF.

I also needed to find laundromats to wash and dry my clothes every couple days - there wasn't always a place to hand-wash and dry them at the ostelli.

Italian dinner time is around 8 pm. I love pasta, and ate well. I also love Italian wine, and drank well. I did not lose weight on this pilgrimage. The few places that had pilgrim meals also served them around 8 pm. For me this is a very civilized time to eat dinner.

There were others who kept to a traditional camino-schedule: early to rise, early to bed. They bought all their food at supermarkets. That was not an option for me ... there was no way I was going to miss out on Italian cooking.

Accommodations
I made reservations ahead for the first five days, and then planned to call one day in advance (like we do in France). That turned out to be very frustrating, and I ended up making reservations for blocks of four to five days at a time. Pilgrim accommodations are hit or miss. I ended up staying in ten pilgrim-oriented places over twenty-four days. There were another five that I tried to get a hold of but never got a response. The rest of the time I spent in hotels or in private rooms, which varied from 60 to 100 euro.

In the end the costs were similar to the Le Puy route, the main difference being that in France I spent about the same amount each day, whereas in Italy the costs varied widely from day to day.

This seemed to be the experience of most people I met, though I met one group of guys who had better luck finding pilgrim accommodations. One younger Italian guy would go to the church each night and ask a priest for advice on where to stay. I don't think my Italian would've been strong enough for that.

The lodgings themselves, though, were always high quality for the price - with the exception of Viterbo. The hotels would always have a nice breakfast spread. And it feels like a treat to get to your room, be able to spread out, and to take a hot shower in private.

Difficulty
For me this was a physically challenging route. There are hills every single day, and I didn't train for this camino like I did for others. Also, with all the rain last year the trails were very, very muddy. We all carried a couple extra kilos of mud on our feet! For the first week we had light rain all day. For the next two weeks we had sunny days - and that Tuscan sun is strong! - followed by large thunderstorms in the afternoon.

I carried three liters of water, and there were two days where the fountains were broken and I needed it.

The road walking took it's toll on my feet by the end. I met a couple people who had to stop their walk early because of joint issues. I was limping the final days, which was something I've never experienced before. Part of the issue was that, with all the rain that Spring, the sides of the road were overgrown with giant thistles and other plants with sharp thorns. There was literally no place to rest or take a break. The trails through the park were almost impassible. Another issue is that all my merino socks developed holes, perhaps from walking in moist conditions, and I walked two days with only silk liners and the last couple days wearing normal white gym socks (which only stayed white for about fifteen minutes).

Pilgrim culture
Most other walkers, at least in May and June, were walking for less than a week and were part of organized groups like SlowWays. On the weekends I met a lot of people only doing one or two days. I was often the only one in pilgrim accommodations.

I was surprised how much I missed the type of camaraderie like we have in France and Spain. In town people would disappear into their hotels, and it was rare for me to see other pilgrims in the evenings.

We started to have a group form early on, but I was the only one who took the alternate route to Colle Val d'Elsa after San Gimignano. I didn't see another group form until 12 days later, in Vetralla.

Interestingly, most of the Italians I met had walked the Caminho Português before, but not he Camino Francés.

Tourist vibe
I wondered what it would be like walking though such a popular, touristic area. Florence itself was absolutely overrun with post-Covid crowds, but, the tourists have not returned in any numbers to the smaller towns. The famous Tuscan towns had a lot of day visitors, but were quiet and lovely in the evenings and mornings.

The language
Knowing some Italian helped a lot. In some of the ostelli you need to call when you arrive, and someone will come with a key and let you in.

The scenery
The segment from Lucca to Siena passes through the most iconic towns and Tuscan scenery, but for me the next section from Siena to Lake Bolsena was even more breathtaking. It did rain the first week, so the scenery wasn’t as vivid as it might have been under blue skies.

The final 100 km
The final stretch doesn't have a great reputation. I met a number of Italians who had walked all the way to Rome before, and the general consensus was that either Bolsena, Montesfiascone, or Sutri was the last "good" place to end. I was determined to walk to Rome - but once was enough. In the final days there were longer stretcher of walking on roads with no shoulder, some of the paths through natural areas were closed, and the ones that were open were overgrown with thorny plants.

I also made some mistakes in planning here. I had extra days, so thought I'd slow down and do shorter stages. I ended up having to find places off-route that added extra kms to my walk, and that were isolated. I'd stick to the main stages here.

With that: the final 9 km from Monte Mario to Saint Peters feels absolutely epic - it's the best "arrival moment" of any camino I've walked.

Final Advice
Do some planning with this one.

The stage from San Quirico d'Orcia to Radicofani is legendarily difficult. Break it up with a stay in Castiglione d'Orcia. Altopascio to San Miniato can also be broken up with a stay in Ponte e Cappiano.

I could have skipped the detour to Colle Val d'Elsa. The scenic route was closed due to flooding, and it was a long tiring walk in and out of the town on not-scenic roads.

The sun was stronger than I expected - and I live in the tropics! I wish I had brought my hiking umbrella for shade.

Baggage transfer services won't drop off bags at pilgrim accommodations, so either carry your pack or plan to stay at hotels. Only a few of us carried our packs, at least when I walked.

I took rest days in Siena and Viterbo. In retrospect, I would have chosen Bolsena over Viterbo.

For short stretches, choose San Miniato to Siena, or Siena to Bolsena. However, I suspect a short walk on the VF would feel more like a great walk than a "camino."

The verdict
Lucca to Rome is a great walk. It didn't always feel like a pilgrimage, given that 90% of the people I met were walking short stretches. I'd still recommend it, but maybe for a second or third camino.

While I'm very glad I walked the Chemin du Puy and the Camino Francés solo, this time it would've been nice to have a regular walking partner.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Michael. Walking the Via Francegina or the Via di Francesco (the latter is high on my wish list) have eluded me so far, despite best intentions. I appreciate the information and your perspective 🙏 🇮🇹 ❤️

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for sharing your experience and advice. I plan to cycle from Lucca to Rome in September. I am not in great physical shape so plan to ride an ebike as I have heard the hills can be challenging.

Great summary/recap. Did you end up carrying your pack due to the twin issues of being unable to book due to language or non-response and trying to use the ostelli?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for your comments. I hope to do this on 2026
Bob

Thanks for the remarks and advice. I'll be on that route, but without the Colle Val d'Elsa detour, starting in Lucca on May 1. Plan to arrive in Roma on 5/19. Will consider your advice on which cities you would prefer for rest days... they all look good, but time is short so choices must be made. Mahalo!
[Note: I walked from Canterbury to Martigny (SW) in 2022, Martigny to Lucca in 2023 and met only 12 pilgrims on the trip across France, and met about twice that many on the walk over Grand San Bernardo pass and down across the Po to the Appenines. VF is so much different from the Frances (2013 from SJPDP) and the Portuguese (2018 from Lisboa) where there were abundant places to stay and other pilgrims to meet along the routes. Not bad, just different, and I came to enjoy the solitude and time to just walk and listen and see France and Italy through a different lens.]

Great summary/recap. Did you end up carrying your pack due to the twin issues of being unable to book due to language or non-response and trying to use the ostelli?
I carried it by choice, but I researched transport services for a friend with back issues who considered joining me. I don’t think there’s a service you can call day by day; you need to reserve it all ahead of time.

I speak enough Italian to get by; I only had trouble once, when I couldn’t understand the person on the phone who was giving me instructions for the door code to a place.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for sharing your experience and advice with us.

Very interesting post. Many thanks. I will be starting the VF from Canterbury at the end of April. I know I cannot - because of Schengen visa 90 day only rules - go all the way to Rome. Will finish it next year. But your post has good info for me then. I speak absolutely zero Italian (apart from Bongiorna, ciao and grazie). Same with French. So am expecting a few language problems. I will be only doing short stages each day (have a major knee problem and am getting on in years). Again, many thanks for such good info.

I walked the Via Francigena from Lucca in the fall of 2022 and I loved it all! I speak no Italian, carried my own pack, and had good weather overall. There was a lot of climbing of rolling ups and downs often and they were tiring, but the vast openness of much of the Tuscany landscape was amazing in spite of that. The majority of the towns and smallish cities along the way are well known tourist destinations. They are lovely and provided interesting lodging choices and towers to climb with incredible views.

My son and I saw few other pilgrims walking, but had some good encounters, and had our own "personal guide" when walking with an interesting Italian man who spoke fairly good English for a couple of days. We did take a bus to shorten one very long stage. Also, the owner of the pension we stayed at in the high hilltop village of Radifocani picked us up at the bottom of the hill at the end of a long, rather warm day. We did not get a Compostela at the Vatican because we took a train to Rome, cutting off the final two or three days of walking along very busy roads into the city.

I did write a daily report on the "Live on the Camino" thread for the Via Francigena with pictures if anyone is interested in taking a look.
This Camino was definitely a favorite of mine.
Edit- The food was outstanding and the white wine excellent...Est! Est! Est!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
VF is so much different from the Frances (2013 from SJPDP) and the Portuguese (2018 from Lisboa) where there were abundant places to stay and other pilgrims to meet along the routes. Not bad, just different, and I came to enjoy the solitude and time to just walk and listen and see France and Italy through a different lens.]
I usually appreciate solitude, and enjoy walking alone. I didn't actually feel lonely until the last four or five days. In part it was knowing that there were other pilgrims on the trail (we all met in Vetralla), and kicking myself for going off-stage rather than trying harder to get a hold of the donativos.

Luckily I met up with other pilgrims in Rome at the wonderful Spedale della Provvidenza di San Giacomo e San Benedetto Labre, which provided a space for a beautiful closure to this camino.

There was a lot of climbing of rolling ups and downs often and they were tiring, but the vast openness of much of the Tuscany landscape was amazing in spite of that. The majority of the towns and smallish cities along the way are well known tourist destinations. They are lovely and provided interesting lodging choices and towers to climb with incredible views.
I think you've walked the Primitivo - how did the hills on the VF compare to those? It's one I'm considering for my next walk, and I'm trying to judge if I'm in shape enough (or rather, if I can get in shape enough).

Last edited:
i think you've walked the Primitivo - how did the hills on the VF compare to those? It's one I'm considering for my next walk, and I'm trying to judge if I'm in shape enough (or rather, if I can get in shape enough).
Michael, I walked it six years prior (younger), but every Camino is a combination of both difficult and easier sections. I think they are comparable and you should not let yourself be talked out of embracing the Primitivo if you have the interest to do it. It is one foot in front of the other...one step at a time. I'm sure you will love it for its own beauty; I personally love variety. You will most likely find enough pilgrims on the Primitivo depending on when you'd choose to go.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Michael - I haven't walked the VF but I've walked the Primitivo twice (2014 and 2019) Before the first time, I recall being a bit concerned as I'd heard some say how difficult it was - I'd previously walked the Frances twice and the Le Puy Way. Honestly I didn't find the Primitivo that difficult. I see you've walked the Le Puy Way. You will recall that the first 7 to 10 days of the Le Puy Way are quite challenging in parts - the Primitivo is no more difficult, in my opinion. Also, these days, there are plenty of options with accommodation so it's not necessary to walk long stages. It remains one of my favourite paths. All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9.

It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order, even after 8 months, so this is just going to be a data dump.

Day-to-day
I would start at a coffee shop or with breakfast at the hotel around 7 or 7:30 am. I'd also pick up a sandwich, as I rarely made it to a town for lunch. I usually met others on the trail, mostly Italian or French. I only met a few Americans.

I would arrive in town around 2 pm. Most ostelli wouldn't open until 3 or 4 pm, so I'd find a cafe and nurse a negroni. I never saw other pilgrims at the cafes in the afternoon. I would wonder where they all went? At the ostello I would take a nap - which I never did in France or Spain. I needed one on the VF.

I also needed to find laundromats to wash and dry my clothes every couple days - there wasn't always a place to hand-wash and dry them at the ostelli.

Italian dinner time is around 8 pm. I love pasta, and ate well. I also love Italian wine, and drank well. I did not lose weight on this pilgrimage. The few places that had pilgrim meals also served them around 8 pm. For me this is a very civilized time to eat dinner.

There were others who kept to a traditional camino-schedule: early to rise, early to bed. They bought all their food at supermarkets. That was not an option for me ... there was no way I was going to miss out on Italian cooking.

Accommodations
I made reservations ahead for the first five days, and then planned to call one day in advance (like we do in France). That turned out to be very frustrating, and I ended up making reservations for blocks of four to five days at a time. Pilgrim accommodations are hit or miss. I ended up staying in ten pilgrim-oriented places over twenty-four days. There were another five that I tried to get a hold of but never got a response. The rest of the time I spent in hotels or in private rooms, which varied from 60 to 100 euro.

In the end the costs were similar to the Le Puy route, the main difference being that in France I spent about the same amount each day, whereas in Italy the costs varied widely from day to day.

This seemed to be the experience of most people I met, though I met one group of guys who had better luck finding pilgrim accommodations. One younger Italian guy would go to the church each night and ask a priest for advice on where to stay. I don't think my Italian would've been strong enough for that.

The lodgings themselves, though, were always high quality for the price - with the exception of Viterbo. The hotels would always have a nice breakfast spread. And it feels like a treat to get to your room, be able to spread out, and to take a hot shower in private.

Difficulty
For me this was a physically challenging route. There are hills every single day, and I didn't train for this camino like I did for others. Also, with all the rain last year the trails were very, very muddy. We all carried a couple extra kilos of mud on our feet! For the first week we had light rain all day. For the next two weeks we had sunny days - and that Tuscan sun is strong! - followed by large thunderstorms in the afternoon.

I carried three liters of water, and there were two days where the fountains were broken and I needed it.

The road walking took it's toll on my feet by the end. I met a couple people who had to stop their walk early because of joint issues. I was limping the final days, which was something I've never experienced before. Part of the issue was that, with all the rain that Spring, the sides of the road were overgrown with giant thistles and other plants with sharp thorns. There was literally no place to rest or take a break. The trails through the park were almost impassible. Another issue is that all my merino socks developed holes, perhaps from walking in moist conditions, and I walked two days with only silk liners and the last couple days wearing normal white gym socks (which only stayed white for about fifteen minutes).

Pilgrim culture
Most other walkers, at least in May and June, were walking for less than a week and were part of organized groups like SlowWays. On the weekends I met a lot of people only doing one or two days. I was often the only one in pilgrim accommodations.

I was surprised how much I missed the type of camaraderie like we have in France and Spain. In town people would disappear into their hotels, and it was rare for me to see other pilgrims in the evenings.

We started to have a group form early on, but I was the only one who took the alternate route to Colle Val d'Elsa after San Gimignano. I didn't see another group form until 12 days later, in Vetralla.

Interestingly, most of the Italians I met had walked the Caminho Português before, but not he Camino Francés.

Tourist vibe
I wondered what it would be like walking though such a popular, touristic area. Florence itself was absolutely overrun with post-Covid crowds, but, the tourists have not returned in any numbers to the smaller towns. The famous Tuscan towns had a lot of day visitors, but were quiet and lovely in the evenings and mornings.

The language
Knowing some Italian helped a lot. In some of the ostelli you need to call when you arrive, and someone will come with a key and let you in.

The scenery
The segment from Lucca to Siena passes through the most iconic towns and Tuscan scenery, but for me the next section from Siena to Lake Bolsena was even more breathtaking. It did rain the first week, so the scenery wasn’t as vivid as it might have been under blue skies.

The final 100 km
The final stretch doesn't have a great reputation. I met a number of Italians who had walked all the way to Rome before, and the general consensus was that either Bolsena, Montesfiascone, or Sutri was the last "good" place to end. I was determined to walk to Rome - but once was enough. In the final days there were longer stretcher of walking on roads with no shoulder, some of the paths through natural areas were closed, and the ones that were open were overgrown with thorny plants.

I also made some mistakes in planning here. I had extra days, so thought I'd slow down and do shorter stages. I ended up having to find places off-route that added extra kms to my walk, and that were isolated. I'd stick to the main stages here.

With that: the final 9 km from Monte Mario to Saint Peters feels absolutely epic - it's the best "arrival moment" of any camino I've walked.

Final Advice
Do some planning with this one.

The stage from San Quirico d'Orcia to Radicofani is legendarily difficult. Break it up with a stay in Castiglione d'Orcia. Altopascio to San Miniato can also be broken up with a stay in Ponte e Cappiano.

I could have skipped the detour to Colle Val d'Elsa. The scenic route was closed due to flooding, and it was a long tiring walk in and out of the town on not-scenic roads.

The sun was stronger than I expected - and I live in the tropics! I wish I had brought my hiking umbrella for shade.

Baggage transfer services won't drop off bags at pilgrim accommodations, so either carry your pack or plan to stay at hotels. Only a few of us carried our packs, at least when I walked.

I took rest days in Siena and Viterbo. In retrospect, I would have chosen Bolsena over Viterbo.

For short stretches, choose San Miniato to Siena, or Siena to Bolsena. However, I suspect a short walk on the VF would feel more like a great walk than a "camino."

The verdict
Lucca to Rome is a great walk. It didn't always feel like a pilgrimage, given that 90% of the people I met were walking short stretches. I'd still recommend it, but maybe for a second or third camino.

While I'm very glad I walked the Chemin du Puy and the Camino Francés solo, this time it would've been nice to have a regular walking partner.
I’m very glad you took the time to tell us what it’s like Michael. I have the guide books for it and I’ve done some research but your notes are really helpful. I’ve done the Le Puy, the Frances twice and the Portuguese from Lisbon and I was contemplating the VF from Vercelli to Rome. But now I’m leaning a lot more towards the Le Puy route, which I loved, for many reasons, some of which you’ve spoken about in your post.
Thanks heaps, you have filled in a few blanks that I had in my mind, for which I couldn’t find answers. Now I think I have a much better picture.
All the best for your next Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for the informations. We will continue our via francigena from Calais mid may. We did Canterbury to Dover last year. Allways carrying our backpacks ourselves😀 I am brushing up my french with the help of duolingo.

Thanks for all this info...my wife and i are walking both the Primitivo AND the Lucca to Rome this summer, starting early July. We appreciate these tips/info.

A pretty good description of that route, which I walked last October. I had some different perspectives of course, partly because I have some Italian and could ring and reserve pilgrim accommodation. Also, in October the walkers appeared to be exclusively pilgrims, such that it occurred to me that during the summer months the increase in numbers might make it difficult to find dedicated accommodation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A pretty good description of that route, which I walked last October. I had some different perspectives of course, partly because I have some Italian and could ring and reserve pilgrim accommodation. Also, in October the walkers appeared to be exclusively pilgrims, such that it occurred to me that during the summer months the increase in numbers might make it difficult to find dedicated accommodation.
The only actual place people had trouble finding accommodation was Viterbo. I found a room, though it was too expensive. Others I was walking with couldn't find anything. For pilgrim accommodations, some don't open until June, and others didn't respond to emails / phone calls / whatsapp. That was the part that got frustrating, and the reason I ended up booking ahead four to five days.

Though also - it rained a lot last year, and people in the towns said there were far fewer pilgrims than normal. Their theory was that Italian pilgrims chose to wait, or do something else, as they had more flexibility to change their plans - unlike those of us who planned years in advance and who flew in from far away. May 2023 might not have been a normal May on the VF.

I actually didn't mind the rain, and sometimes enjoyed it. I splurged on good rain gear, and it paid off! I only got caught out once in a big storm that was a bit scary.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.