• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Newcomer Needing Advice

SimonV

My wife and I are experienced walkers, but in our late 60's and finding long steep descents hard on the knees. We would appreciate advice about which is the flattest route to SdC and the best time of the year temperature wise.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Simon
I'm not sure if you've realised that you posted your query in the 'Primitivo ' route.
This would be considered a little difficult if this is your first Camino.

My wife and I are experienced walkers, but in our late 60's and finding long steep descents hard on the knees. We would appreciate advice about which is the flattest route to SdC and the best time of the year temperature wise.
I'm sure you and your wife would cope with the Primitivo, but since you asked about flatter: there are easier routes or even parts of other routes.
It's fairly normal to start with the Camino Frances and if you want to miss a 'testing start' over the Pyrenees ( really not that bad). / how about commencing at Pamplona.

There will be ups and downs on most routes.
If you want to start with shorter camino you could walk the last 100k or thereabouts of any of the routes into Santiago, such as from the south VDLP or Portuguese or from the north on the Camino Frances.

Have a look at these sites too : Mundicamino.com or Gronze.com when you've had a good search through the wealth of info already posted here.

The best time is also 'relative' and can't be a 'given'.
Generally though many people are lucky with nice weather from mid to late April thru to June in the spring and in the autumn from late august to early October. Reading the forum though you will find pilgrims enjoy their own Camino, Rain or shine, hot or cold any time. It's all part of the mystery as is your whole experience including the people you'll meet ., they will be unique to your Camino and special.
Regarding age, many of us are hitting those higher numbers and late sixties is not a problem unless you make it so plus you are experienced walkers !

Whatever you choose , I guarantee you it will be the best walk of your life !
Buen Camino
Annie

Correct, not the Camino to ask about if you are looking for flat terrain. On the Frances there is a section reffered to as the "meseata", or the table /plateau, between Burgos and Leon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll second OzAnnie's suggestion to start the Camino Francés at Pamplona. You do avoid the long slog over the Pyrenees; however, there are more hills and "mountains" ahead -- fortunately, though, none as long and steady as from St Jean up to the pass before Roncesvalles. Most people find going down to be harder on the knees than going up. Trekking poles, used properly, can take a good deal of stress off the knees, especially going downhill.

No matter which route you choose, don't get too scared by the elevation charts in the guidebooks. The vertical scale is greatly exaggerated relative to the horizontal scale of the charts.

Do you use trekking poles, if you don't you might want to consider them, they really help going up hill, down hill, and on the flats. My recommendation is to start in Pamplona and avoid the Pyrenees. If you think any other part of the French route is in question, take a bus or cab and bypass. Avoid summer!
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Hi, Simon, The Via de la Plata from Sevilla (at least till Pueblo de Sanabria or thereabouts) and the Camino de Levante from Valencia, are probably the two flattest caminos I've walked. For both of them, starting in early May is perfect IMO.

Both of these routes have separate sections on the forum.

p.s. I moved your post to the Camino Frances section of the forum, because I think that's where more people will see it. If you want it to go somewhere else, just PM me. But if you are looking for flat terrain, you don't want the Camino Primitivo. And welcome to the forum!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
... Most people find going down to be harder on the knees than going up. Trekking poles, used properly, can take a good deal of stress off the knees, especially going downhill.

... don't get too scared by the elevation charts in the guidebooks. The vertical scale is greatly exaggerated relative to the horizontal scale of the charts.

Simon V (and wife): there is a lot of wisdom in what Jim C writes.

Going to Santiago I have only walked a little bit, and then five years ago. On the first day (from Sarria) I found the descent into Portomarin something of a challenge: it was a clay patch that had been deeply scoured by heavy rain and steep. Looking at guidebooks there are a lot of comments about the descent from Alto del Perdon (a few hours after leaving Pamplona). And from similar sources, and from Google's "street view", the ascent up to, and more particularly down from, Cruz de Ferro (between Astorga and Ponferrada) seem very challenging.

I appreciate you may be thinking of a route other than the Camino Frances.

As I understand it, the rules are that you walk the last 100 km if you seek a Compostela or similar: not that you followed a particular route. So, you may wish to consider busing if not within the last 100 km. Or finding an easier path around such obstacles if close to Santiago. Others, I am sure, will correct any errors I have made on this point.

Most read last week in this forum

Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back