• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

accommodation in september

louise9

hello, i am setting off soon to start the camino del norte from santander, in the csj guide book it says that the season closes at end of august and so lots of the hotels and refugios will be closed. Does anyone know anything about this. It also said that there are not many pilgrims along this route. I was hoping to meet people along the way as i am going on my own, what do you all think?

x louise

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Louise,
I have not been on the Norte in September but by the end of April everything you need is open, so I cannot see that things will close down at the end of August! Somewhere like Llanes is a high season tourist honeypot! Far more attractive off season and most restaurants etc are open. Even in April I was never alone in accomodation and with this being a Holy Year there should still be company around.
The Norte and Primitivo seem to be attracting more pilgrims every year as the Frances becomes overcrowded. You will enjoy the Norte - Go for it!

Blessings
Terry

Hi louise, i agree with what terry says, i did it in july of this year and stayed in quite a lot of pensions and hotels along the coast, i was keeping an eye when they were open out of season, because i was thinking of coming back with some mates and doing a spot of fishing, and all seemed to be fine up to the end of october.Another member(Caminitoito) has posted a link to a list of albergues, and you can click on indvidual ones and they give you the dates they are open(the ones i checked will be fine for you) his post was dated 25/oct/09 (on this norte topics page).

I dont think september will be all that quiet, that was my other option for a month(August would be packed with the spanish on their month long holidays) and i feel from what was being said to me by other people that if they hadnt done it in july then september would have been their choice.
Good luck and Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Louise, I walked the Camino del Norte in September last year and had no problems. I was in Santander on the 5th September, and went via the Camino Primitivo to Santiago arriving there on the 28th September and always found places open, however I can't say about places after Vilaviciosa on the del Norte, though on there Pivimiveo there were no difficulaties. Enjoy - it is a lovely way. Cheers, Janet

Hi Louise

I walked the del Norte in September last year, arriving in Compostela on October 1st. All of the albergues were open so you will have no trouble in that regard. I also had fabulous weather with only 2 days of rain so I hope you will be as lucky. As for other pilgrims, there are not nearly as many as on the Frances. If you repeat my experience you will find very few fellow pilgrims to speak with during the day, but there will be always someone else in the albergues at night that you can converse with, although I met very few who were fluent in English.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

thanks to everyone, i off tomorrow and feel reassured re accommodation, and sounds like i'll be navigating on my own again, i hope to get maps in santander. i am hoping to learn spanish along the way so probably best that not so many english speakers around.

thanks again louise

ps here is my justgiving site, that i am updating about my journey when near a computer, have a read if you interested,

http://www.justgiving.com/louise-sinclair0

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just to say "God speed!" Louise. I walked from Exeter to Plymouth to catch the ferry. The old pilgrims left from home and I wanted to do the same. It does not look as though there will be a sea running as you walk the coast near Llanes. If it is rough, keep an eye open for the 'bufones' - blow holes in the cliffs. Can be spectacular with a north wind coming in.

Buen Camino and blessings
Terry

hey terry

i set off from home too, on the 1st of august, did you see? but then i had to come home for a bit, but the plan was to carry on all the way, yes it made sense to me to, a pilgrimage just seems to start from my house to me. not sure what you mean about the sea? anyway i'll see what happens

thanks louise

This is only a small 'bufone' . Some of them apparently put the Old Faithful geyser in wyoming to shame when they are at full height! Keep your eyes open after Buelna, following the E9 clifftop path. (Page 74 in the CSJ guide) far easier than walking on the road.

Enjoy
Terry

Attachments

• 006 bufone.jpg
    006 bufone.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 1,111
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Louise

If you meet a similar mix of pilgrims to the disparate lot I encountered, not only can you learn Spanish on the way, you will have the chance to practice your Polish, Italian, French and German as well.

Buen Camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, My husband, age 70, and a group of mainly 50 years up men, just finished a partial Camino del Norte. This was their schedule: ( Caridad) to Santiago in 9 straight days : 15, 21, 25, 18, 15...
Originally I planned to start CdN from Irun directly, thus I booked a flight to San Sebastian Airport (EAS). However, I've read several guides and learned that the Basque Coast towns are worth...
Hi, I am embarking on my first camino tomorrow and have been searching for some albergues to stay in. I will be doing the Camino del Norte and will be starting in Gijon. I am looking in Muros de...
Having started our cycling Camino odyssey in Bilbao we are now recovering in Oviedo before returning to Gijon and the CDN. It has been a beautiful and challenging experience. We are trying to...
Hi, I've had a good look at the posts about the accommodation options in this section and I'm travelling alone and on a budget and was hoping to stay in hostels for finance but also to meet...
A year and a half ago I walked the Frances and few months before that I walked from Porto - i loved every bit of both! In the middle of July I’m walking for 14 days with my friend - who has...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.