• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation query

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Albergue La Estación has a good reputation, although it's a couple of kms out of town, so it's best to buy whatever supplies you might want for the next day on your way through the town centre . If you want reassurance that it's open, you could contact Badajoz Jacobea through Facebook or email **:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BadajozJacobea/
Web: http://badajozjacobea.org/
Email: badajozjacobea@gmail.com

Failing that, there are beds at the sports centre, which is on the same road out of Campanario as the albergue (some distance before the albergue). I think the keys to the sports centre can be picked up from the Policia Local, across the road.

I stayed at an apartment ("Malay") which was listed in the guide in 2017. It wasn't very good. The owner charged me more than the advertised price ... and unsurprisingly it is no longer listed in the guide to accommodations.

** I recommend getting in touch with Badajoz Jacobea whatever you do .The association is quite active, as you will see from the waymarking and high quality albergues (except for the last stage on the way to Merida). They might invite you to meet them or to drop in at the school CEIP Ntra. Sra. de La Antigua de Mérida which is on the Camino as you enter Merida. The school is very proud of its place on the Camino, as you will see. They will welcome you if you drop by to fill your water bottle before visiting the Roman Circus next door:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My friend and I are starting the Mozarabe from cordoba on Tues.

Can anyone advise of accommodation around Campanario?

Hi,

You say around Campanario… Is there any way to rearrange your stages in order to end in the next village, Magacela, instead of Campanario? In Magacela there is a Casa Rural (or two): Casa del Cercón/Cercón de Candelo, which is top notch and at a reasonable price (15-20 euros? Don't remember…) with one of the friendliest hospitaleras/owners on the planet!

Just a thought!

/BP

Yep - Pilgrim price for the Casa Rural in Magacela is €15 incl. breakfast. If you don't want to stay in Campanario and i you're feeling very brave, you could take a short cut from Castuera to Magacela.

Alvaro Lazaga Busto has done a video of this shortcut - 1m50s into this video is where he breaks away from the route to Campanario

This shortcut has been suggested by the folks who promote an alternative Camino Mozarabe via Trujillo. While it is shorter, the way is not marked with yellow arrows and you miss the chance to see the protohistoric ruins at La Mata, just outside Campanario. (This is in keeping with the thinking of the Trujillo variant - a shorter route, with rather spartan facilities, for people of an independent mindset, which bypasses the historic cities of Merida and Caceres).

. While it is shorter, the way is not marked with yellow arrows and you miss the chance to see the protohistoric ruins at La Mata, just outside Campanario
I was very glad to have passed by La Mata. Surprisingly well preserved ruins from a culture I had never even known existed in Spain. Like the burial mounds in Antequera - something unexpected and a real eye-opener.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was very glad to have passed by La Mata. Surprisingly well preserved ruins from a culture I had never even known existed in Spain. Like the burial mounds in Antequera - something unexpected and a real eye-opener.
I agree completely. I was delighted to learn about the Tartessos civilization from the archeology student who was on duty at the site. Before I got there, I thought that I was walking over 2,000 years of history. And then I found that it was more like 10,000 years. Stunning.

Albergue La Estación has a good reputation, although it's a couple of kms out of town, so it's best to buy whatever supplies you might want for the next day on your way through the town centre . If you want reassurance that it's open, you could contact Badajoz Jacobea through Facebook or email **:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BadajozJacobea/
Web: http://badajozjacobea.org/
Email: badajozjacobea@gmail.com

Failing that, there are beds at the sports centre, which is on the same road out of Campanario as the albergue (some distance before the albergue). I think the keys to the sports centre can be picked up from the Policia Local, across the road.

I stayed at an apartment ("Malay") which was listed in the guide in 2017. It wasn't very good. The owner charged me more than the advertised price ... and unsurprisingly it is no longer listed in the guide to accommodations.

** I recommend getting in touch with Badajoz Jacobea whatever you do .The association is quite active, as you will see from the waymarking and high quality albergues (except for the last stage on the way to Merida). They might invite you to meet them or to drop in at the school CEIP Ntra. Sra. de La Antigua de Mérida which is on the Camino as you enter Merida. The school is very proud of its place on the Camino, as you will see. They will welcome you if you drop by to fill your water bottle before visiting the Roman Circus next door:
Thanks very much..we'll try Facebook as we've not had a reply from the email..thanks for the tip about picking up supplies too :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
La Mata is only open on weekdays.

Hello again..we will be at campanario tomorrow and will hopefully stay at the Estacion albergue. Is if possible to get back onto the Camino without having to retrace our steps?
Yes. If you cross over the railway line and turn right onto the obvious track and follow it for a couple of km the Camino joins the track from the right. You will pass through a couple of cattle gates on the track before the Camino crosses the railway line.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello again..we will be at campanario tomorrow and will hopefully stay at the Estacion albergue. Is if possible to get back onto the Camino without having to retrace our steps?
Hi. As I recall, we backtracked only about 100 m and easily got back onto the camino. I think we were told about the alternative to cross the tracks, but it seemed more complicated. Either way, there is not much backtracking at all.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back