• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation

Leemac40

Time of past OR future Camino
Baztan - September 2nd
Hi, I'm planning on walking the Baztan route at the beginning of September from Biarritz then on to Burgos, I have 12-13 days! On researching this it looks like accomodation options are very limited and expensive until Pamplona. Is this accurate and does anyone know whether camping is an option? Sorry if this has been spoken about already, couldn't find any thread!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello @Leemac40
Welcome.
It is a good many years since I did the Baztan route, but I didn't find expense then to be the problem, except for the first night in Espelette, where the municipal hostel seems to have been closed for a long time, not always for the same reason. There is a tourist office in Espelette (it is quite the tourist town) and you could check with them for other options.
Have you checked Gronze here? Having a quick look, there seems to be a reasonable amount of accommodation, including albergues, although again Espelette is limited. It is a more useful option for information than the online booking sites.
There seems to be a steady trickle of people doing the route at the moment, so you may get some specific up to date recommendations. But it is a trickle!
I have never used a tent, so cannot really help you there. But the Baztan route can be very wet.....!
Tim

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello @Leemac40
Welcome.
It is a good many years since I did the Baztan route, but I didn't find expense then to be the problem, except for the first night in Espelette, where the municipal hostel seems to have been closed for a long time, not always for the same reason. There is a tourist office in Espelette (it is quite the tourist town) and you could check with them for other options.
Have you checked Gronze here? Having a quick look, there seems to be a reasonable amount of accommodation, including albergues, although again Espelette is limited. It is a more useful option for information than the online booking sites.
There seems to be a steady trickle of people doing the route at the moment, so you may get some specific up to date recommendations. But it is a trickle!
I have never used a tent, so cannot really help you there. But the Baztan route can be very wet.....!
Tim
Thanks, I've been looking on Gronze and Buen Camino, I want to do 25-30km per day to make it to Burgos, loving the planning stage! There are places but few that suit my stages. I usually book ahead but would ideally like to conquer my anxieties about not finding somewhere to stay.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi @Leemac40 (and @jungleboy 😎).

I’ve just seen this thread and replied to your PM. We are on the Aragones today just taking a short break for lunch. Have sent some info and can offer more later when we arrive at our albergue. Looks like some of what I’d suggest has already been covered. 😎

Ps. You probably know this but for benefit of others who may read - the Baztan doesn’t go through Biarritz but starts in nearby Bayonne - a short train or bus ride away.

J
Hello @Leemac40
Welcome.
Tim
Just did it late-Apr. Caught the 0700 TGV fm Montparnasse to Bayonne then that arvo walked the 15 km to Ustarritz, stayed in a family house/gite there. Then the albergues in: Urdax, Berotta and Olague joining the Frances at Trinidad de Arre. A great 5 day walk, tough going in places and solitary. Met only 2 others in the 5 days. You have to pack-in your own food for Berotta and Olague (though the bakery there opens at 1900 and has enough basics). Check Gronze.com and the Gerard Kelly book. Use the BuenKamino app for staying on the correct path - very poor markings in Fr and a bit better in ESP. Easy to go off-piste though. A great scenic walk. Cooee

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
J

Just did it late-Apr. Caught the 0700 TGV fm Montparnasse to Bayonne then that arvo walked the 15 km to Ustarritz, stayed in a family house/gite there. Then the albergues in: Urdax, Berotta and Olague joining the Frances at Trinidad de Arre. A great 5 day walk, tough going in places and solitary. Met only 2 others in the 5 days. You have to pack-in your own food for Berotta and Olague (though the bakery there opens at 1900 and has enough basics). Check Gronze.com and the Gerard Kelly book. Use the BuenKamino app for staying on the correct path - very poor markings in Fr and a bit better in ESP. Easy to go off-piste though. A great scenic walk. Cooee
That's my stage plans other than the first day I would be walking all the way to Urdax as I was hoping to do it in four days, if this isn't possible/enjoyable I will change my plans as I would rather enjoy it and finish my Camino before Burgos than rush through for the sake of an end point!!!! All about the experience

That's my stage plans other than the first day I would be walking all the way to Urdax as I was hoping to do it in four days, if this isn't possible/enjoyable I will change my plans as I would rather enjoy it and finish my Camino before Burgos than rush through for the sake of an end point!!!! All about the experience
It is a long way from Bayonne to Urdax - you are probably much younger than me though so good luck. Heads-up, there is a v’stiff climb out of Urdax the next day. Cooee

Hi, I'm planning on walking the Baztan route at the beginning of September from Biarritz then on to Burgos, I have 12-13 days! On researching this it looks like accomodation options are very limited and expensive until Pamplona. Is this accurate and does anyone know whether camping is an option? Sorry if this has been spoken about already, couldn't find any thread!
Walked it about 5 years ago. Accommodation not A problem. There was a guidebook.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is a long way from Bayonne to Urdax - you are probably much younger than me though so good luck. Heads-up, there is a v’stiff climb out of Urdax the next day. Cooee
Nothing beats a beast of a climb to shake the cobwebs off 👌

Walked it in the end of March. The biggest challenge for me was finding a place to sleep where food was also available in the same town. It seemed that a couple of days gronze.com indicated a bar/cafe was available but for whatever reason was not open. September is more "in season" so this might not be an issue for you. Beautiful walk. Only met 2 other pilgrims the entire time.

Walked it about 5 years ago. Accommodation not A problem. There was a guidebook.
Thanks, puts my mind at ease
Walked it in the end of March. The biggest challenge for me was finding a place to sleep where food was also available in the same town. It seemed that a couple of days gronze.com indicated a bar/cafe was available but for whatever reason was not open. September is more "in season" so this might not be an issue for you. Beautiful walk. Only met 2 other pilgrims the entire time.
Will make sure I'm equipped with baguette and crisps at all times 👍

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can you keep me posted.
I’m hoping to do the same mid September
Any information you have on this walk would greatly be appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can you keep me posted.
I’m hoping to do the same mid September
Any information you have on this walk would greatly be appreciated.
No worries, due to go just before you, feeling quite positive about it now after replies on here and further information 👍

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back