• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Accomodation in October?

Vigdis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008/2009, Roncesvalles-Burgos Oct. 2012
I am just about to book plane-tickets Norway-France, as I all of a sudden get in doubt...
(or maybe just scared... as I am going alone and don't speak French )

I have walked the camino in Spain 2008/2009, using pensions or small hotels most nights.

This time I plan to walk Le Puy-Figeac, starting the 7th. of October, ending two weeks later.
As I am not familiar with the conditions in France, my second thoughts are about whether it may be a bit "too late" of the year to walk.

Will most of the hotels/chambre d’hΓ΅tes/gites still be open?
Will the touristoffices be open?
Can I expect snow?

I am considering putting it off to springtime instead.
Anybody who would know?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Most places are open until the end of October. BuyMiam Miam Dodo so that you have phone ahead for reservations. Tourist offices will help. So will concierges at gites, hotels, and chambres.

Thank you, falcon, I better do that; get somebody to reserve for me as I walk along.
And I will receive Miam Miam Dodo by post one of these days, gonna "study" it...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you don't speak French you will find the tourist offices very helpful in booking accomodation for you. Miam Miam Dodo gives you a good idea when places close (or open at the beginning of the season). Cheers, Janet

Hei Vigdis!
Gikk fra Le Puy 15.08 i 2009 og hadde sendt mail til overnattingssteder fΓΈr jeg dro. Det var greitt sΓ¦rlig siden det var feriemΓ₯ned i Frankrike og mange vandrere langs veien bl. a. mange store grupper. Du bΓΈr vΓ¦re noen dager i forveien med bestilling og be om demi-pension. Giten kan vΓ¦re det eneste stedet du fΓ₯r et mΓ₯ltid pΓ₯ noen av smΓ₯stedene. BΓ¦r med deg nok mat og vann. Det er betydelig fΓ¦rre steder Γ₯ kjΓΈpe mat enn pΓ₯ caminoen i Spania.
KjΓΈp deg et orange eller vodaphone prepaid sim card i en av de mange telefonsjappene rundt torget i Le Puy. Da er det billig Γ₯ ringe for Γ₯ bestille overnatting og med mobil er det lettere Γ₯ be andre ringe for deg. Snakker heller ikke fransk, men klarte meg greitt selv om det ikke ble de store konversasjonene underveis. Traff folk fra mange land underveis.
AngΓ₯ende tidspunkt kan jeg ikke si noe om oktober men i august/ september var det varmt og tΓΈrre stier. Kom til Santiago 20.oktober og pΓ₯ slutten var det noen kjΓΈlige dager. MΓ₯tte ta i bruk bΓ₯de feece og hansker. Bonne chemin!
det er den fineste biten av veien du skal gΓ₯.

Sorry folks for writing this message to Vigdis in Norwegian! A bit lazy tonight!
randi

Google translate says you wrote this:

It obviously did not like your "telefonsjappene"!!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Falcon. Next time I choose English since I write English better than the googletranslator reads Norwegian.

I have arranged with work to have my holidays two weeks earlier, so my new plans are now to go late September instead. Feels like a bit more safe to me

- Thanks, Janet, I will remember that. When walking in Spain I sometimes got the hotel I left to book the next night for me. But the touristoffices will be fine too, or even better. I have received Miam Miam Dodo, - very useful allthough I don't speak French, everybody can understand the symbols in it.

- Hello, Randi. Not sure whether to answer back in English or Norwegian, I choose the first, allthough my Norwegian is better Thanks a lot for good tips. I will bring my own mobile, but it will be cheaper for me to buy that prepaid sim card then, if I understand you right?

Know what? I also came in to Santiago the 20th of October last year...
I din not meet a single Norwegian on any of my previous walks, but I know they were there though
Now I want to do it all over again, but starting from France this time, and do it all in sections, like I also did before.

- Not all bad that translater, Falcon, not completely correct, though

Vigdis.
I used Spanish simcard in Spain and a French simcard in France. Both gave me free incoming calls, instead of the expensive incoming calls on my Norwegian simcard and cheaper local calls. They did not cost very much. I have had my Spanish card for years and have to fill it up every ninth month. The French orangecard I bought in Le Puy I had to put at least five euros every 14 days, but that was not a problem while I was walking.
Have a nice camino.
Randi

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ok, I see, Randi. You mean what we in Norwegian call "kontantkort", only this is a France one
It is really something to consider, cause it is expencive using a Norwegian simcard abroad, and to have to pay for incoming calls is REALLY annoying.

Most read last week in this forum