• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camping along Le Puy en Velay October/ November?

frankie324

Time of past OR future Camino
October
Hello! I am planning to start walking from Le Puy en Velay in mid/ late October with my partner. We're getting very excited!
We normally camp when walking but we aren't able to walk until the autumn due to work.
Does anyone have any advice on taking camping gear on this route, particularly at this time of year?
I'm worried it is going to be cold and wet and we won't end up using our camping gear and have ended up carrying extra weight for no reason!

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The way from Le Puy is great for camping. Official campsites might be closed that late in the year, though.

I've got a list of campsites along the way from Le Puy, it's in another thread. I try to find the link. You could then check the websites of the campsites whether they're still open in october or not. But I wouldn't be too optimistic - camping season is short in France, and many campsites are only open from may or even june-september, only few april-october. I'm pretty sure most will be closed in november.

You might have more luck camping in the gite gardens. Many allow it for a fee (usually 8-10 Euros), and that includes use of bathroom and kitchen in the gite, and you'll also meet other pilgrims there :)

The miam miam dodo should include the information whether a gite allows tents or not.

If you plan to wild camp in a respectful way - I think it's not exactly legal in France, but different to Spain it is usually tolerated as long as you do follow the basic rules (set up camp late, leave again early, no fire, carry out your waste, basically "leave no trace and don't bother locals, wildlife or farm animals").

There are many places, often next to picnic stops, that work well for wild camping. I've even seen a spot in a small town that explicitly said something like "wild camping for pilgrims allowed here, from 7pm-7am for one night".

There are also a few official, very basic shelters that are a nice alternative to sleeping in the tent. I remember at least two (refuge de la béate and one after Ostabat, I think).

There are not many pilgrims on this forum who like to camp, but I'm sure many will be able to give information regarding the weather that time of the year.

I haven't walked the route that time of the year, so can't say anything about temperatures ect. then. But even in may it was pretty cold some nights, so you definitely need adequate gear, especially a warm enough sleeping bag.

Happy planning and bon chemin :)

Edit: Link to campsite list

Also, I remember I walked the Aragones from Somport in late october/beginning of November. It's the other side of the pyrenees, but shouldn't be too different on the other side and give an idea what to expect for the last part of your walk. Weather was sunny and warm for the first days (~20°C) then cold, windy, constant rain for the rest of the time (~2°C and snowy rain). So I guess it's difficult to predict and will probably be different mid-october and beginning of november.

Last edited:
On the Le Puy, many gites start closing down mid-Oct for the school holiday, dates of which vary with locality. The vast majority will close for the season on All Saints, 1 Nov. A good guide such as Miam Miam Dodo will give dates and contact info. If it's cold and rainy all day, you'll want to get out of the weather at night. There are rail connections in Aubrac and about every week past there, if it gets too bad.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello! I am planning to start walking from Le Puy en Velay in mid/ late October with my partner. We're getting very excited!
We normally camp when walking but we aren't able to walk until the autumn due to work.
Does anyone have any advice on taking camping gear on this route, particularly at this time of year?
I'm worried it is going to be cold and wet and we won't end up using our camping gear and have ended up carrying extra weight for no reason!

Thanks!
The Cold is a problem. I was there once in may and we had wet show. The nights were very cold.

The way from Le Puy is great for camping. Official campsites might be closed that late in the year, though.

I've got a list of campsites along the way from Le Puy, it's in another thread. I try to find the link. You could then check the websites of the campsites whether they're still open in october or not. But I wouldn't be too optimistic - camping season is short in France, and many campsites are only open from may or even june-september, only few april-october. I'm pretty sure most will be closed in november.

You might have more luck camping in the gite gardens. Many allow it for a fee (usually 8-10 Euros), and that includes use of bathroom and kitchen in the gite, and you'll also meet other pilgrims there :)

The miam miam dodo should include the information whether a gite allows tents or not.

If you plan to wild camp in a respectful way - I think it's not exactly legal in France, but different to Spain it is usually tolerated as long as you do follow the basic rules (set up camp late, leave again early, no fire, carry out your waste, basically "leave no trace and don't bother locals, wildlife or farm animals").

There are many places, often next to picnic stops, that work well for wild camping. I've even seen a spot in a small town that explicitly said something like "wild camping for pilgrims allowed here, from 7pm-7am for one night".

There are also a few official, very basic shelters that are a nice alternative to sleeping in the tent. I remember at least two (refuge de la béate and one after Ostabat, I think).

There are not many pilgrims on this forum who like to camp, but I'm sure many will be able to give information regarding the weather that time of the year.

I haven't walked the route that time of the year, so can't say anything about temperatures ect. then. But even in may it was pretty cold some nights, so you definitely need adequate gear, especially a warm enough sleeping bag.

Happy planning and bon chemin :)

Edit: Link to campsite list

Also, I remember I walked the Aragones from Somport in late october/beginning of November. It's the other side of the pyrenees, but shouldn't be too different on the other side and give an idea what to expect for the last part of your walk. Weather was sunny and warm for the first days (~20°C) then cold, windy, constant rain for the rest of the time (~2°C and snowy rain). So I guess it's difficult to predict and will probably be different mid-october and beginning of november.
Thank you so much, this information is very very helpful

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back