• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice please. Should we go for Camino Ingles or Santiago to Finisterre in 5 days in JULY!

Time of past OR future Camino
30 March 2017
Hi everyone, I'm a returning Peregrino, having walked the Camino Frances last April in 28 days with my 2 sons and my nephew. My youngest son had recovered from brain surgery in 2016 and we walked the CF to raise £15K for Brain Tumour Research in Leeds General Infirmary where he was treated. We made it to Santiago but not Finisterre in 2017 as we ran out of time.
This JULY, yes I know it is July, (but I am a school teacher in England so we plan to return for a short walk whilst on summer holiday in northern Spain) we are going to be joined by family members to walk in memory of my middle sister who dies in tragic circumstances in November 2017.
My questions in brief are
1) is there a better route with better accommodation opportunities of the 2? How crowded can it be in July?
2) will we find enough accommodation from Santiago to Finisterre for a group of about 8 of us?
3) is there a more updatesd guide book for the Santiago to Finisterre route than the 2009 version available through the Confraternity?
Any other advice would be welcome. I suppose tellingly, I need to ask are we seriously nuts to try and walk in the heat of July or will it be ok and cooler being on the coast? And do you think the group containing 2/3 amateur walkers could manage either route in about 5 days?
Which route do you think would be most uplifting as a memorial to my sister?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Martin, celebration and commemoration. Two gifts we give each other.

I guess one question you might consider is whether you, and your party, would wish for that climactic entry into Santiago. Fisterra is a pleasant little town but, apart for the pagans amongst us, the end of the world is not a pilgrimage destination.

I think I would recommend the Ingles. Very doable in 5 days (even for amateurs ;)) and with some shade and pleasant green walking. A party of eight is going to need pre-booked accommodation particularly if you all want to sleep within hailing distance but you have plenty of time to set that up. @SabineP 's excellent post here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...list-of-2018-hostales-pensiones-ingles.54586/ may give you some pointers.

happy planning

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back