• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for Walking French Camino in July

Cherylmayneill

Time of past OR future Camino
July-Aug 2023
Kia Ora everyone. My sister and I are walking the French Camino in July from New Zealand. I am so looking forward to it. Has been in the planning for 2 years. Probably been in the back of my mind since I saw Martin Sheen's 'The Way' in 2011. Anyway the time has come. I have just had my 60th birthday. My concern is we are now in winter and July in Spain will be so hot. Do people recommend using the hydration backpacks or just use drink bottles? Will I get over the mountain on the first day??

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Personally: drinks bottles. If there are two of you, put your bottles in the outside pockets of the others rucksack. Easier to access.

Are you starting in St Jean? Are you stopping at Orrison or Borda?

It’s not a mountain; and ‘yes’ you very probably will.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I personally think water bladders are a hassle. They seems to be difficult to take in and out of your backpack especially when refilling in the middle of the day. I also knew someone on the Camino who did not wash his or let it dry and mold grew and he got very sick.

Kia Ora everyone. My sister and I are walking the French Camino in July from New Zealand. I am so looking forward to it. Has been in the planning for 2 years. Probably been in the back of my mind since I saw Martin Sheen's 'The Way' in 2011. Anyway the time has come. I have just had my 60th birthday. My concern is we are now in winter and July in Spain will be so hot. Do people recommend using the hydration backpacks or just use drink bottles? Will I get over the mountain on the first day??
With plenty of training beforehand, you will both make the first day. I (72 years) am planning a overnight stay in Orrison which is 9kms in, to break up the Pyrenees section slowly working my way in. Positivity is a plus!

I have never used water bladders. I always just use bottled supermarket water (VERY cheap across Spain) and store them in the side pockets of my pack. The sidepockets of my favored brand of backpack are very slightly more frontal than most, which makes it simplicity itself to gain access and return without missing a step.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Camino Frances with my teenage son in July and August 2016. He liked a hydration bladder in his backpack with a tube. I liked a water bottle (1.5 L) in one of the side pockets of my backpack, generally with a baguette sticking out of the other side pocket. There were a couple of days when we were told to expect a long walk between fountains (e.g. after Carrion de los Condes). On those days I ight take a second water bottle that I bought in a store (or a 1.5 L bottle of sweet tea meant to be drunk cold).

If this is your first Camino, and there are still spaces available, I would advise reserving a spot in Orrison or Borda and taking two days to Roncesvalles.

I have never used water bladders. I always just use bottled supermarket water (VERY cheap across Spain) and store them in the side pockets of my pack. The sidepockets of my favored brand of backpack are very slightly more frontal than most, which makes it simplicity itself to gain access and return without missing a step.
Can I ask which brand of backpack you use? I can reach mine with my Osprey but it is a challenge!

I've walked the Frances in July/August 2019 and yes it can get hot. I didn't use a bladder on the Frances, just water bottles like many here have already suggested. Easy to fill, easy to replace. To beat the heat, Strategy #1; Start walking early. 5:30a then stop by noon or 1:00p. Strategy #2; find albergues with swimming pools.

You're going to have the time of your lives. So, excited for you two. Buen Camino!! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also from NZ.
I took bottles of water. First time a 1 litre, now I take 2 x 500 mls - fits better in my pack.
Fill up before you leave St Jean, fill again at Orrison, and again at the spring. There is also a caravan, where I bought a soft drink and a banana.
Im not a fan of bladders, other people like them - personal preference.
Yes you will notice the difference in temperature, I just started early to cope with the heat.
Walking to Roncesvalles is very doable in a day, most people walk it in a day. (The first 3 hours are the steepest). You cant book in before 3 anyway, so no point getting there too early. Just go at your own pace. On my first Camino I was 57 and my friend/aunt was 70. Age is not an issue on the Camino.

Last edited:
Hi Cheryl. Water bottles are my choice - two 500ml. But with a twist. I have a bladder hose, which screws on just like a normal cap. The hose is always just in front of you, which many bladder users point out - a real benefit to have it easy to access, encourages you to drink more! Easy to refill/clean, you know exactly how much you have, and still fits in the outside pockets if wanted. Although personally I found they keep cooler in the bag, assuming you have room .
My rucksack hasn't got any loop's on the shoulder straps - which many use to hang their water bottles , also good - so I had to get inventive.
As always at a fountain, you drink your fill, then top off the bottles. Mildly annoying pulling it out of the pack the first couple of times, but still easier than a bladder .
Buen Camino 🇳🇿

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Cheryl. Water bottles are my choice - two 500ml. But with a twist. I have a bladder hose, which screws on just like a normal cap. The hose is always just in front of you, which many bladder users point out - a real benefit to have it easy to access, encourages you to drink more! Easy to refill/clean, you know exactly how much you have, and still fits in the outside pockets if wanted. Although personally I found they keep cooler in the bag, assuming you have room .
My rucksack hasn't got any loop's on the shoulder straps - which many use to hang their water bottles , also good - so I had to get inventive.
As always at a fountain, you drink your fill, then top off the bottles. Mildly annoying pulling it out of the pack the first couple of times, but still easier than a bladder .
Buen Camino 🇳🇿
One camino video on I saw on YouTube, I'm pretty sure the guy had a bladder nose hooked up to a bottle of red wine!

Experience leads me to say: two smaller bottle of water from a reliable source (aqua potable: from any tap in a home or albergue, from a labelled outdoor source). No need to buy water. We took litre bottles, not any more. Only one long stretch on the CF where you need to maybe buy an extra litre.
Have a wonderful camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back