• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Segirei

Frans

walker
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Mozarabe de Almeria a Santiago
I saw at a local website at Segirei that people voted for a albergue, rebuilding an old scool into a sleeping place. Does anyone knows if you already can sleep in Segirei?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Does anyone knows if you already can sleep in Segirei?

I don’t know whether the albergue is open yet or not, but I do know that there is a private home where pilgrims sleep. You should contact this number on WhatsApp. 351 933 222 313

This is not the phone of the owner of the home, but it is the person who arranges for you to sleep there. I met some pilgrims in Bragança when I was there last fall as a tourist and went to visit the albergue, which is VERY nice! They. told me they had been told to contact that number several days in advance. I did my own WhatsApp with that number and it was confirmed to me that it’s the place to contact for sleeping in Segirei.

I don’t know whether the albergue is open yet or not, but I do know that there is a private home where pilgrims sleep. You should contact this number on WhatsApp. 351 933 222 313

This is not the phone of the owner of the home, but it is the person who arranges for you to sleep there. I met some pilgrims in Bragança when I was there last fall as a tourist and went to visit the albergue, which is VERY nice! They. told me they had been told to contact that number several days in advance. I did my own WhatsApp with that number and it was confirmed to me that it’s the place to contact for sleeping in Segirei.
That would solve my problem! Great, thanks!
Did you Whatsapp'ed her in English or Portugues?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well I sent her a message in what I thought was decent Portuguese, but she responded in English so that should give you some idea about my level of language ability.

:) Thanks a lot! When I return from my Camino, in June, I will publish here the status from this sleeping place.

I saw at a local website at Segirei that people voted for a albergue, rebuilding an old scool into a sleeping place. Does anyone knows if you already can sleep in Segirei?
Yes, last May (2023) Anabela opened her house in Segirei as pilgrim accommodation. Pricey but excellent. You can also still sleep in the old school but you would need to take food. The village is coming to life, and is very actively welcoming pilgrims. There was a campaign to open an albergue, with residents being asked to choose a project to be funded by the local council. Unfortunately the albergue was not chosen as the successful project. In the facebook group Albergue Ricobayo Camino Zamorano Portugués, which I maintain and keep up to date, search with the magnifying glass tool for Segirei. In the screenshot you can see contact details. There is no need to contact Joana or Dina from Bragança although as pilgrims (and personal friends of mine) they are always happy to help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-15_172516.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-15_172516.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 11
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, last May (2023) Anabela opened her house in Segirei as pilgrim accommodation. Pricey but excellent. You can also still sleep in the old school but you would need to take food. The village is coming to life, and is very actively welcoming pilgrims. There was a campaign to open an albergue, with residents being asked to choose a project to be funded by the local council. Unfortunately the albergue was not chosen as the successful project. In the facebook group Albergue Ricobayo Camino Zamorano Portugués, which I maintain and keep up to date, search with the magnifying glass tool for Segirei. In the screenshot you can see contact details. There is no need to contact Joana or Dina from Bragança although as pilgrims (and personal friends of mine) they are always happy to help.
Thank you Paul. This is very usefull information. Maybe we meet in Ricobayo!
Thanks!

Thank you Paul. This is very usefull information. Maybe we meet in Ricobayo!
Thanks!
Regrettably not Frans, I left the albergue in early summer 2020. I was ordered to become a reception centre for the Red Cross, an interesting 3 months, with the homeless from Zamora to get them off the streets during covid, and once movement was possible again the ayuntamiento decided the albergue would no longer have a resident hospi, I am now based on the Francés near Sahagún when not hospi-ing. The albergue in Ricobayo is open now, the number to call for the keys is posted on the door, it is Manuel's mobile number so you can call any (sensible!) time any day of the week. If you don't speak Spanish he, like all similar key holders, on hearing it is a non-Spanish caller, will just say something like 'I come 30 minutes'. You can also go into the bar Del Rio on main street and ask, Cinta speaks very good English, they also have rooms there, and it's your best bet for eating in Ricobayo. Opens early in the morning for breakfast for the workers from the Ricobayo dam and hydroelectric plant. There are albergues and other accommodations open all along the route now, nicely spaced out, including new municipals in Bragança and Vinhais, except for day 1 out of Zamora when it's a long day from Zamora to either Muelas del Pan or Ricobayo, although if you need or choose to, ask around in Almendra del Pan (visit the Visigothic church there, San Pedro de la Nave, St Peter's Boat, moved stone by stone to its current site as the Ricobayo dam was being built) where there is a rough and ready 'locale' where you can slum it. Bar there open now and then, no food so buy or use bar in Valdeperdices (Partridge Valley). Regrettably there is no uptodate map or guide for the route until you reach Verín, where the CZP joins the Sanabrés, and the brief notes handed out by Zamora Tourist Office are next to useless and ancient, even misleading. Gronze tell me they have no plans to cover the CZP, 'insufficient demand'. It would be really useful for me and future pilgrims if you join the facebook group and post any useful info as you go, thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Paul. Yes, I’m already a member of your group and I will write every day an update after leaving Zamora.
Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.