• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zamorano in June

Joe McDonald

Time of past OR future Camino
CF14
F'stere14,16,18
P'uese16
Vdlp/Sanabres/Ingles17
Sureste/Invierno18
Lana/SanSal/Primitivo19
I hope to start the Levente from Valencia mid May 2023. It is my intention to follow the Zamorano route when I reach Zamora. Anyone who may have walked this particular section in recent times (last year or so) I would be keen to hear their experiences, particularly in regard to accommodation. I usually walk on average 30km a day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would love to walk the Zamorano. I think the system of donativo albergues is in place, at least that is what the CSJ says. I have walked the Levante, though, and loved it. Lots of castles, lots of wide open spaces. I think the castle in Xátiva is one of the most spectacular I have ever climbed around, well worth the walk up the hill for a visit. There are lots of nice towns with interesting architecture and history. I started in early May and it was perfect weather. Lots and lots of gorgeous emerald green fields, huge blobs of red poppies, you ave very lucky!

The first four days out of Valencia are essentially 100% asphalt, unless @JLWV and the amigos group have been able to find alternatives.

Sorry, none of this answers your Zamorano questions, and I know a few forum members who have walked it, but not since the covid lockdown. Good luck and buen camino, Laurie

I looked at it last year. Here is a link I reviewed and in Zamora we were able to get info from the Tourist office to have at the albergue for pilgrims when we served there as hospitaleros. There is an association in Zamora that updates the info, I believe. There were three different tourist offices in Zamora at that time. The one with Camino info was not in the old town, but just outside it near the park across Ave Alfonso IX from the old town.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Laurie for your response. I walked the Sureste from Alicante in 2018 and loved it. So enjoyed the castles and Don Quixote country! Looking forward to interweaving between the Levente and the Sureste.

Thanks J for the info regarding the Tourist Office in Zamora. I’ve been in Zamora a few times now and know where you are talking about. Will definitely call with them if/when I reach Zamora.

I looked at it last year. Here is a link I reviewed and in Zamora we were able to get info from the Tourist office to have at the albergue for pilgrims when we served there as hospitaleros. There is an association in Zamora that updates the info, I believe. There were three different tourist offices in Zamora at that time. The one with Camino info was not in the old town, but just outside it near the park across Ave Alfonso IX from the old town.

That document from the tourist office was quite up to date when I went that way. Markings were scant though, so it needed to be supplemented with a GPS. This may have changed. I would be happy to translate the guide to English if anyone wants it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That document from the tourist office was quite up to date when I went that way. Markings were scant though, so it needed to be supplemented with a GPS. This may have changed. I would be happy to translate the guide to English if anyone wants it.
I use GPS most of the time now so that’s not a problem for me. I can roughly translate main points of the document. Thanks again gsliver

Also might be worth looking at a facebook group about the route administered by Paul Garland (@Paul_Garland on this forum, not sure if he's active though). Don't need an account to see what's in it and it's quite active.

As you've probably read the section after Braganca is difficult in terms of finding somewhere to sleep. I think the group can arrange something but I don't know what.

Thank you Madrood. Don't do facebook but will look into it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've now reached Braganca on my Camino from Valencia. Thirty one days to here. Apart from one German pilgrim that I met in Gotarrendura, when I stayed in the albergue there, I haven’t met anyone. Has anyone any up-to-date information regarding accommodation in Edral or Segirei? I will be in Vinhais staying tomorrow and want to be in Verin two days later. Is the social centre in Edral the only option?

I can see from the facebook page that there is a new albergue in Vinhais, I assume you're going there?

Beneath that is an ad for a BnB in Segirei:

EGIREI: CASA ANABELA
Accommodation, dinner and breakfast.
Accommodation, dinner and breakfast.
🇵🇹
👇
🇬🇧
see previous post.
🇪🇸
'Segirei is a small village high in the mountains: there is no hostel, no wifi, no mobile signal. But you can stay at a local woman's house: ask for Anabela's house in the village. Accommodation is basic (one single and one double room in an outbuilding), but there is a hot shower, clean towels and Anabela provides an all-you-can-eat dinner and breakfast with mountains of local produce. Accommodation, dinner and breakfast is €30 per person.
Thanks to Dina Martins for the tip!'
Peter Barron of London.

Looks like a converted outhouse, very basic. You can find it by asking around the village, but you could also contact two people who have knowledge of the route. Worth scrolling through the facebook page yourself if you can.

Thanks Madrood for that. Much appreciated. Will be heading there then.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Unfortunately I had booked a hotel room before I knew about the new albergue Madrood. I called in to see it. Would safely say it’s one of the very best albergues I’ve seen! ( and that’s a lot!). Great new facilities and a view to die for. Amazing. It’s on the main road /street in the town. Still haven’t decided on tomorrow but leaning towards Segirei. Do hope Anabela exists!

Hi, @Joe McDonald,

Thank you so much for posting about your Zamorano. As someone who cannot resist thinking about next year’s camino as soon as this year’s camino is done, this one is calling me for next year! I have walked a small portion of it, out to see San Pedro de la Nave from Zamora, but I think making the connection to the Sanabrés in Verín from Zamora would be a wonderful walk.

Hoping that the rest of your days go well, and know that there are at least a few of us (or at least one of us, me!) who would appreciate any information on stages, accommodation, etc, when you have the time and inclination to post it. Buen camino, Laurie

Would safely say it’s one of the very best albergues I’ve seen! ( and that’s a lot!). Great new facilities and a view to die for. Amazing. It’s on the main road /street in the town.
Excellent news about the new albergue in Vinhais. The bombeiros was fine, but a little basic. I think the border crossing before Verín is one of the most spectacular days anywhere, on an old smugglers' route, and past a really lovely mare's tail waterfall. Disfruta.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd also be quite keen to here how it went!

For what it's worth when I was doing some planning the stages I had in mind were (albergue presence confirmed from facebook group):

Zamora (0 km)
Almendra + Ricobayo de Alba (32 km) (albergue in Rico)
Fonfria (20.1) (albergue)
Alcañices (22) (I had noted that the albergue looks good)
Quintanilha (24.9) (albergue)
Bragança (25) (new albergue I think, existing private hostel)
Vinhais (28) (albergue now)

Then a 52 km bedless gap to Verin. There are a few bus stops before there and I probably would have tried to use those and sleep 2 nights in Verin.

Now it seems there are not one but two offers in Segirei, a holiday home can be made available on weekends.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back