• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Irugoienea : Espinal

Poshlloyd

Time of past OR future Camino
Sep 2013
Hi,
Walked on from Roncevalles instead of staying there. About 6.6 km after I reached Espinal and found a great little Albergue. It is €10 for the bed plus €10.50 for optional evening meal and €3 for breakfast. Free wifi, vending machines and very quiet. To find it you turn left on the Main Street instead if right for the Camino. About 600m down the road you will find it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Poshlloyd, You're off then! Buen camino to you. Sounds like on your very first day you followed the good advice to pace yourself to avoid the "obvious" ending points that you will find in Brierley and other guides. Keep in touch and may your camino be filled with quiet, unfilled, and peaceful albergues! Laurie

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Poshlloyd, You're off then! Buen camino to you. Sounds like on your very first day you followed the good advice to pace yourself to avoid the "obvious" ending points that you will find in Brierley and other guides. Keep in touch and may your camino be filled with quiet, unfilled, and peaceful albergues! Laurie
Sure, after walking 29 km to roncesvalles, kept walking for another 6.6 km, some pacing yourself

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well, though it's hard to tell intent when the words are written rather than spoken, no need to be snippy. For one thing, poshllloyd may have walked from Orisson. For another, I think it's presumptuous to assume that just because some or maybe even most people would find 35 kms with that kind of elevation gain beyond their reach, anyone who walks that distance is crazy or somehow not enjoying the Camino. There are plenty who would be well within their abilities to walk that distance comfortably, especially with the promise of an un-mobbed albergue. My only point was that there have been lots of threads here recently about crowds, and many have offered the sage advice to stake out the off-stage end points.

Last edited:
Hi,
Walked on from Roncevalles instead of staying there. About 6.6 km after I reached Espinal and found a great little Albergue. It is €10 for the bed plus €10.50 for optional evening meal and €3 for breakfast. Free wifi, vending machines and very quiet. To find it you turn left on the Main Street instead if right for the Camino. About 600m down the road you will find it.

Thanks so much for this info. It sound wonderful and just the type of place I will make an effort to search out. I doubt it will on day two, but it could be day three as we plan to walk slowly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for giving this info - it is nice to hear up to date accounts on off the trek places. I start in mid Sept and don't plan to walk the set stages (a slower pace than most) so this info is very helpful.

I walked from SJPP to Espinal this year and stayed at this albergue. If I remember correctly, the signpost for the albergue as you enter Espinal sends you across a crop field! The meal was good and the room (with 6 spacious queen beds and one bunk beds) was fantastic after the long trek. I think they had another room laid out with a similar amount and types of beds. Quiet village and definitely one I'd recommend - no matter if you start in SJPP or Orrison - if you're physically capable of making it there. Bonus is that you've a 6.6km start on the Roncevallians (?!!!?) the next day!

Do you by chance have the name for this albergue? My husband and I are doing the CF from SJPP in 2015 but plan on staying in Espinal.

Buen Camino!

This does sound like a lovely little find :)

Last year when we walked, we stayed in a few of the "off the stage" towns, and although really nice, found that most of the people staying in them were Spanish speaking people that only interacted amongst themselves :( I missed the social aspect of the Camino with English speaking walkers, so made our way back to the traditional stages. Hoping to go back, and would like to try that again...maybe another time, it wouldn't be like that....all depends on who is walking at the time I'm sure.

One of the big problems on the Camino is just that , people tend to mix with people from their own country, French with French, Germans with Germans ,native English speakers with native English speakers. The interesting part of the Camino for me is being able to meet & chat with people from all over the world.

Most foreigners use the same guide books and follow them as if they were the word of God.If the book says to stop in certain places most of them don´t dare risk discovering a quant little town with a lovely albergue.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One of the big problems on the Camino is just that , people tend to mix with people from their own country, French with French, Germans with Germans ,native English speakers with native English speakers. The interesting part of the Camino for me is being able to meet & chat with people from all over the world.

Most foreigners use the same guide books and follow them as if they were the word of God.If the book says to stop in certain places most of them don´t dare risk discovering a quant little town with a lovely albergue.

Buen Camino!

Well said Mendiwalker,
We love the little villages , and if you are interested in others communication is easy.
They all speak some english as you discover at the communal dinner.

The Le puy way is a bit different as you are in french countryside homes.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.