• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues versus pensions

Gilespenn

Hi Everyone,

I will be taking the Northern route starting in Bilbao Aug 18. My question is whether I should use mostly pensions for the route or should I use the public and private albergues?

I am 71 years old and have had extended dormitory experiences in my much younger days. But I can afford inexpensive pensions if need be. My daughter, who used youth hostels for a round the world trip in her mid-20's, is now, in her mid-30's and advising me strongly against albergues. She makes a good case (she's an Assistant U.S. Attorney) for pensions: privacy, convenience, and especially no bed bugs. A severe case of bed bugs half-way through her round the world trip ended her stays in youth hostels forever.

I, on the other hand, argue that staying where most pilgrims stay will enhance the experience of the Camino. In fact, staying in Alberques may be essential to the experience. Being a pilgrim seems to be different from being a tourist (as many of you have pointed out so often in this forum).

Of course, under cross examination, I admit to her that there probably is nothing wrong with a pilgrim staying in a pension...and maybe that "way" is best for me.

This is my first (and probably last) Camino so I'm wondering what all you long time Camino walkers have to say about this discussion between father and daughter.

Thanks ahead of time. As I prepare for the trip (I'm only up to about 12k a day!), this issue takes on more and more importance.

Giles

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
privacy, convenience, and especially no bed bugs
Two out of three isn't bad! Every bed bug I have encountered has been in a pension/hostal/hotel! Prepare for bed bugs even in pensions.

I've done both and can heartily recommend either. You need to balance for yourself what you require and want: privacy and quiet vs camaraderie and mutual support. However, you can get the camaderie and support through effort while staying in pensions.

Males of a certain age are challenged in terms of frequency and facility of toilet access, but I suspect that you migh already know this.

You might find that a mix of the two works for you. Perhaps, walikng into a pueblo, an albergue will call out to you and, in another, a pension might. Just enjoy your decision. Note, as well, that many albergues now offer private rooms with washrooms and you might be able to get the better of both worlds in that way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would play it by ear and see where the day takes you. There's nothing to stop you from using both along the way as depending on your needs and wants. Imagine meeting a fabulous group of people while walking and wanting to continue enjoying their company. That would be much easier to do if you head to the albergue with them vs going to a pension. I anticipate that I'll alternate on my own trip as there are times when I just want to be alone and anti-social. :)

Also, as noted above, bed bugs can be everywhere so staying at somewhere private/more expensive/off the beaten trail doesn't guarantee you won't meet them.

We have just returned from the Camino Primitivo rather than the Norte. We are in our 60s and for us it was important to comlete the Camino so we used private albergues and pensions rather than the pubic albergues. We could phone ahead and also create our own length stages. It worked well.
Buen Camino

We have just returned from the Camino Primitivo rather than the Norte. We are in our 60s and for us it was important to comlete the Camino so we used private albergues and pensions rather than the pubic albergues. We could phone ahead and also create our own length stages. It worked well.
Buen Camino
Hi, Tia. I just read your post after sending a message to you (I should have searched first!). Were the private albergues more expensive?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back