• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alison Raju - Le Puy to the Pyrenees Guide

OssieMate

Time of past OR future Camino
Hills of Girona 2016
Alto Teruel Spain 2016
Roncevalles to Santiago April (2015)
Le Puy-en-Velay to SJP'dP France April (2014)
San Leo to Assissi Umbria December (2014)
Cascais to Sintra Portugal (2013)
Obernai to Kaysersberg Alsace (2011)
Hi Everyone.

This is my first thread so I hope there is someone out there that can help me.

I leave for the pilgrim walk from Le Puy to SJPP in late April and need to get my hands on:

Alison Raju's guide, Le Puy to the Pyrenees.

I contacted the fraternity CSJ in London (pilgrim guide through the roads of France) but this is out of print and it is uncertain when the revised guide will be available for purchase over their website.

I was wondering if anyone would like to sell me a copy of the 2013 guide that they no longer need. Happy to reimburse for cost of the guide including postage.

Can anyone accommodate me, please.

Kindest regards

Ralph
Melbourne Australia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Raju guides seem to have become secondary in the marketplace. Some negative features were improved by Brierley, though it remains one of the few English language guidebooks for the Le Puy route. The 2011 edition is available on Kindle from amazon.com, so if you have a smart phone with a Kindle application on it, you can take an electronic version. I liked her guide, and the step-by-step directions helped me find some obscure turns on the Chemin du Puy.

Miam Miam Dodo dominates, so if you can muddle through the French, I suggest you use it. It is as close to comprehensive for accommodations as you will find,and is fairly self-explanatory in that regard. You can buy it from amazon.fr or at the Le Puy cathedral if you can find the office open.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Everyone.

This is my first thread so I hope there is someone out there that can help me.

I leave for the pilgrim walk from Le Puy to SJPP in late April and need to get my hands on:

Alison Raju's guide, Le Puy to the Pyrenees.

I contacted the fraternity CSJ in London (pilgrim guide through the roads of France) but this is out of print and it is uncertain when the revised guide will be available for purchase over their website.

I was wondering if anyone would like to sell me a copy of the 2013 guide that they no longer need. Happy to reimburse for cost of the guide including postage.

Can anyone accommodate me, please.

Kindest regards

Ralph
Melbourne Australia

Ralph I have a copy you can have. Contact me at oldspice2010@gmail.com and we can make the exchange. The Miam Miam Dode guide is better. I think you could get a copy in LePuy. I am going the same time you are, we should try to link up. Please contact me and we will work something out. Tom Halter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will be hard pressed to find a worse guide. Page after page of verbal description of a route which is well marked, augmented by sketch maps.

Hi Ralph,
Welcome to the forum.
Here is the link from the publisher (Book , eBook).
http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/608/title/the-way-of-st-james-france
I think you'll find the 2013 edition is just a "reprint" of the 2010 edition, with minimal updates.
As mentioned, Miam-Miam-Dodo (French only) is probably better for your accommodation.
We (Helen & I) are also planning to start from Le Puy in late April.
Bon Chemin
Colin

Hi Everyone,

love the forum, I wasn't expecting such a great response.

Thank you all for responding, I now have suuficient information gathered to purchase the guide needed including relevant books for our pilgrimage and for sorting out the accommodation etc. along the way.

Appreciate your time and effort in responding.

Looking forward to making a start In Le Puy on the 29 April 2014.

Kind regards

Ralph & Kathy
Melbourne Australia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My French is almost non-existant Miam Miam is in French but you don't need to know very much in order to read the name of an albergue when its open if there is food available or a meal and to find your way on the map. It remains the best there is and yes readily available in Le Puy and any good sized bookstore along the way, you may also find the Michelin map - Chemins de Compostelle - Du Puy en Velay à Saint Jean Pied de Port #161 helpful, it has better maps and offers topography (very important on the Le Puy route) but their lodging recommendations are less helpful. Do be flexible and check your map! The French Confraternity is very thoughtful planning routes always concerned for your safety, they have no hesitation to send a pilgrim crashing half a mile down a ravine across a swollen creek on slippery stones placed by those who went before you and then causing you to slip-slide clamber back up the muddy slope all in order to save 350 meters on the road-you have been warned.

I had Maim Maim and then Raju on my iPhone, I found the Raju guide useful as a means of understanding what lay ahead i'e in providing a description of the walk ahead. Also suggested some really useful alternative routes and short cuts. I didn't have a separate map.

I am a wandering soul and will quickly go off track at the mention of an interesting church or monestary, beautiful village, prehistoric cave vineyard offering tastings-the Michelin map I mentioned is very good for that since it covers a wider range-it is a pocket sized handbook of small maps and also readily available at any bookstore often right next to the cash register-give it a look over there and decide;.

Welcome Ralph and Kathy,
We used Miam Miam Dodo which is invaluable for accommodation; as everyone says it's in French but very easy to understand. We often got our hosts to phone ahead to book the following night for us. And had the "Demi-pension" whenever possible - dinner, bed and breakfast - it was such good value and we had some wonderful meals.
For maps we used the FFRF Topo guide for the Chermin de St Jacques GR 65 - topographic maps for the route in a handy form. It's available from the Cathedral and newsagents along the route. If I was walking this year I would probably download the route onto my smartphone.
We didn't find any need to use guides in English.

Welcome Ralph and Kathy,
We used Miam Miam Dodo which is invaluable for accommodation; as everyone says it's in French but very easy to understand. We often got our hosts to phone ahead to book the following night for us. And had the "Demi-pension" whenever possible - dinner, bed and breakfast - it was such good value and we had some wonderful meals.
For maps we used the FFRF Topo guide for the Chermin de St Jacques GR 65 - topographic maps for the route in a handy form. It's available from the Cathedral and newsagents along the route. If I was walking this year I would probably download the route onto my smartphone.
We didn't find any need to use guides in English.

Hi Kanga,

thank you for the information provided particularly on the maps.

The demi-pension is more of what we are looking at for accommodation, or even hotels if they are close by in the villages. Not going for the hostels or places that are packed with people, I need restful sleep.

The Miam Miam is in the mail and I should get this shortly.

Just to let you know, we are meeting up with Tom H from Minneapolis who answered an earlier blog, he will be in Le Puy in April when we arrive and has kindly offered to mail me the guide book I was originally looking for, must shout Tom a few drinks along the route.

I am impressed with the number of walks you have completed so far - are doing the Camino in stages?

Take care.

Ralph

I am a wandering soul and will quickly go off track at the mention of an interesting church or monestary, beautiful village, prehistoric cave vineyard offering tastings-the Michelin map I mentioned is very good for that since it covers a wider range-it is a pocket sized handbook of small maps and also readily available at any bookstore often right next to the cash register-give it a look over there and decide;.

Hi Scruffy,

thanks for the info provided so far.

We are also interested in the architecture of the countries we hike in (both of us have architectural backgrounds) and often seek out interesting buildings and sampling the local wine.

I will endeavour to source the Michelin map over the net.

Appreciate your advice.

Kind regards

Ralph

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had Maim Maim and then Raju on my iPhone, I found the Raju guide useful as a means of understanding what lay ahead i'e in providing a description of the walk ahead. Also suggested some really useful alternative routes and short cuts. I didn't have a separate map.

Hi 3kings15.

The Miam Miam on the iPhone is impressive and my colleague, who is joining us on the Le Puy route, has the Raju guide book.

Appreciate your comments,

thanks.

Ralph

Dear Ralph,
I walked the Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago end to end 3 times, and now try to walk each year for at least 4 weeks on one of the other routes. Since 2009 we've mainly walked in France. We've walked Le Puy to SJPDP (in two years), walking both the traditional route and the Cele Valley route, another year from Beziers through Carcasonne to Toulouse via the Canal du Midi and then on to Ste Marie de Oloron via the Arles route, last year from Orleans to Tours and south - but still have quite a bit to walk on that route. Haven't walked the Vezelay route yet. And lots of routes in Spain!
When I walk by myself I am a pilgrim and live simply. With my husband it is different as he needs a bit more comfort and privacy. His preference is to stay in Chambre d'hôtes which are great value - the French equivalent of bed and breakfast, and often a much higher standard of accommodation than far more expensive hotels. There is a good smartphone App called "Gites de France" which includes chambre d'hôtes; it's what I use on routes that don't have a Miam Miam guide. Some gites offer both types of accommodation (gites usually have dormitory bedrooms, chambre d'hôtes you get your own room). In less travelled routes we've also stayed in gites and been the only occupants so had the dormitory to ourselves.
Send me a private msg if you want more info.

Hi Ralph,
I ordered and received my copy last month (Dec) but was disappointed to see that it was the 2006 edition. Looking through it I think it will be of limited value for the walk but I will take it along anyway. The Miam Miam guide seems like the way to go.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Dan.

Thanks for your comments.

The Confraternity Of St james emailed me last week and advised that they were not sure when the revised 2013 Edition would be available, however they offered the 2006 Edition that was still available but as far as I am concerned it is too old too rely on - things change and I need up-to-date information, I 'll give the guide a miss.

I just received the 2014 Miam Miam Dodo from Abe Books and it contains all the information I need, shame it is all in French. When will the authors realise that more and more english speaking pilgrims are doing the Camino and an english version should be published to make it easier for all to plan for the pilgrimage.

Might see you on the trail, we start on the 29 April 2014 - my wife and a friend.

Good luck on your upcoming journey.

Ralph
Melbourne
Australia

When will the authors realise that more and more english speaking pilgrims are doing the Camino and an english version should be published to make it easier for all to plan for the pilgrimage.
The numbers are not that large, and it is expensive to annually translate and publish a travel guide. It is much more likely that an electronic version will become available that will use a Google Translate-type program to give a usable literal translation. Having walked a half dozen pilgrimages in France, I can assure you that the number of English speaking pilgrims is small, and Miam Miam Dodo is unlikely to publish in English. As much as we may think that English dominates on pilgrimages, I have gone a week in France without hearing English.

The numbers are not that large, and it is expensive to annually translate and publish a travel guide. It is much more likely that an electronic version will become available that will use a Google Translate-type program to give a usable literal translation. Having walked a half dozen pilgrimages in France, I can assure you that the number of English speaking pilgrims is small, and Miam Miam Dodo is unlikely to publish in English. As much as we may think that English dominates on pilgrimages, I have gone a week in France without hearing English.

Hi falcon269

Point taken.

I am sure that using Miam Miam Dodo will improve my French.

Regards

Ralph

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Dan.

Thanks for your comments.

The Confraternity Of St james emailed me last week and advised that they were not sure when the revised 2013 Edition would be available, however they offered the 2006 Edition that was still available but as far as I am concerned it is too old too rely on - things change and I need up-to-date information, I 'll give the guide a miss.

I just received the 2014 Miam Miam Dodo from Abe Books and it contains all the information I need, shame it is all in French. When will the authors realise that more and more english speaking pilgrims are doing the Camino and an english version should be published to make it easier for all to plan for the pilgrimage.

Might see you on the trail, we start on the 29 April 2014 - my wife and a friend.

Good luck on your upcoming journey.

Ralph
Melbourne
Australia

Hi Ralph
I bought the Alison Raju guide to the Le Puy route published in 2010 and reprinted 2012 with updates, available on Amazon and most likely other places too. You should be able to get this rather than the 2006 copy.
Megg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1852846089/?tag=casaivar-21

Hi Megg

Thank you for the link. The book is now ordered and on its way.

Kind regards

Ralph

Ralph,
I’ve just seen this thread. I have a copy here in Melbourne (Beaumaris) of the 2006 reprint if it’s of interest to you. Some of the route info may be out of date, but the historical stuff of course is timeless.
Msge me an email address or phone number and we can arrange collection/delivery
Donovan

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ralph,
I’ve just seen this thread. I have a copy here in Melbourne (Beaumaris) of the 2006 reprint if it’s of interest to you. Some of the route info may be out of date, but the historical stuff of course is timeless.
Msge me an email address or phone number and we can arrange collection/delivery
Donovan
Hi Donovan
Not sure if my earlier reply got through, so here it is again.

This is great news.

Email me on rkdomino@bigpond.net.au
&
I will forward my mobile to you.

Regards

Ralph

Ralph,
Start with no more than 15-18km the first 4 days and then start getting good distances.
Enjoy these villages, markets and people.
It is 10000% different from the Frances Camino.
You will be amongst people who don't care to much for Parisians and big city folk.
They live amongst the fields and we were very happy eating the fresh produce served in the way only the french can.
Have a look at some of the older run down homes in the little villages in the latter stages.
No one came home from the war thus the farming is by the neighbours.
No foreign companies produce food in france..........i love their way of life and friendship offered.
Need any advice or notes give us a call [ Carlton]
You will love this camino and when you get to StJPDP walk to Biarritz [ 3 days]
David

Last edited:
Ralph,
Start with no more than 15-18km the first 4 days and then start getting good distances.
Enjoy these villages, markets and people.
It is 10000% different from the Frances Camino.
You will be amongst people who don't care to much for Parisians and big city folk.
They live amongst the fields and we were very happy eating the fresh produce served in the way only the french can.
Have a look at some of the older run down homes in the little villages in the latter stages.
No one came home from the warn thus the farming properties is by the neighbours.
No foreign companies produce food in france..........i love their way of life and friendship offered.
Need any advice or notes give us a call [ Carlton]
You will love this camino and when you get to StJPDP walk to Biarritz [ 3 days]
David

Hi David,

Thank you for your take on the Camino, very interesting. WE are all looking forward to getting away from the hectic pace of the city and into the countryside and hopefully meet up with locals and fellow pilgrims.

Do you have an itinerary of the days and places you walked to, how long did it take you to complete your route?

Looks like you are part of the Lyon scene.

Regards

Ralph

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi David,
...when you get to StJPDP walk to Biarritz...
Is there a "way marked" path from SJPP to the coast (Biarritz) or is it a "road walk"?
Col

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Ralph

I will also be on the Le Puy route this year but from mid April :)

I've some good news for you - the book is available on this website: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Way-St-James-France-Alison-Raju/9781852846084
Postage is free worldwide :)

I buy books from this website alot and find them great :)

Eilish

Hi Eilish

thank you for the link to the guide book.

It's great to see you that you will be doing the Le Puy Route mid April. We are planning to walk the route on the 29th April and I am meeting up with Tom H from Minneapolis USA, who responded to my original request, looking forward to catching with Tom.

I do have the guide book you provided the link to, but the guide I was chasing is the:
Alison Raju - Pilgrim Guides to the Roads through France to Santiago de Compostella - sold via the Confraternity of St James on their bookshop site (2014 updates version not currently available).

Would you believe that Donovan, who lives in the same city as myself, has posted me a 2006 copy, what luck! You may want to try and track one down for yourself, it has descriptions on transport, baggage moves, accommodation, credentials etc.

Good luck on your up and coming journey.

Kind regards

Ralph

The CSJ have had an update to their Le Puy guide since Oct 2012, but are waiting on Alison Rajou to check it!
In the mean time the most up to date guide is the Miam Miam Dodo 2014. It's not hard to follow!
The is also a very good Le Puy-StJean guide from Rother, it's a German guide, but available in English. It is the same size as the Cicerone guide, so fits in your pocket easily. They have also got a small map and topography for each day. It is handy to have!

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Hi David,

Is there a "way marked" path from SJPP to the coast (Biarritz) or is it a "road walk"?
Col
The CSJ have had an update to their Le Puy guide since Oct 2012, but are waiting on Alison Rajou to check it!
In the mean time the most up to date guide is the Miam Miam Dodo 2014. It's not hard to follow!
The is also a very good Le Puy-StJean guide from Rother, it's a German guide, but available in English. It is the same size as the Cicerone guide, so fits in your pocket easily. They have also got a small map and topography for each day. It is handy to have!

Hi pilrim82

Thanks for the info on the Rother Guide, I will source this over the net.

Have a great day.

Ralph

Look up Montbonnet heading Ralph.
Margaret and Peter are very good with info and advice.
David

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back