• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another Camino newbie

Jen Fawkes

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking 2017 August
Hello, another newbie here.
Firstly I have to say thank you to all of you who patiently answer peoples questions. Your site has been so helpful and so respectful of everyone asking questions.
We (hubby and I) will be starting our first Camino Frances next week (10th or 11th) from SJPDP. We have been travelling for several months now and need to have some luggage transferred to the end of the walk. I have heard that there is a service located next to the Camino registration office who can do this for us.
Does anyone have any experience of this or have any other suggestions.

Secondly, I keep hearing how busy the Camino Frances route is this year, but we are now in September, will it still be necessary to book our first night in Roncesvalles? or can we still take a risk that there will be a bed for us oldies!

If anyone else is starting out at the same time it would be lovely to meet up with you.
regards to you all
Jen

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
September is one of the busiest months of the year. For peace of mind it would probably be worth booking beds in Roncesvalles in advance - especially if you think that the hordes of sprinting youngsters might get there before you :) Ultreia!

need to have some luggage transferred to the end of the walk. I have heard that there is a service located next to the Camino registration office who can do this for us.
Most luggage transfer is stage-by-stage on the Camino Frances. You can ship your luggage to Santiago by post, which might be expensive from France. Check out the service from Ivar in the link at the top of the page. His storage in Santiago is fairly near the cathedral.

we are now in September, will it still be necessary to book our first night in Roncesvalles?
Probably. The first half of September is still quite busy, though the numbers arriving in Santiago drop from over 2,000 per day to about 1,000 per day. Roncesvalles has an artificial bed shortage, so a reservation will help you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you're going to Santiago, another option is Express Bourricot, which will pick up your bag / package at any albergue or hotel in SJPPP, and ship and store in Santiago. Expensive, though. www.expressbourricot.com.
You could also ship your bag forward one day to Roncesvalles in Spain, then use the Spanish post office (Correos) to ship a bag or package to anywhere on the Camino, and then hold it for you. They have a special Pac Peregrino. Instructions at: http://www.caminoconcorreos.com/en/envio-maletas.php.

Hello, another newbie here.
Firstly I have to say thank you to all of you who patiently answer peoples questions. Your site has been so helpful and so respectful of everyone asking questions.
We (hubby and I) will be starting our first Camino Frances next week (10th or 11th) from SJPDP. We have been travelling for several months now and need to have some luggage transferred to the end of the walk. I have heard that there is a service located next to the Camino registration office who can do this for us.
Does anyone have any experience of this or have any other suggestions.

Secondly, I keep hearing how busy the Camino Frances route is this year, but we are now in September, will it still be necessary to book our first night in Roncesvalles? or can we still take a risk that there will be a bed for us oldies!

If anyone else is starting out at the same time it would be lovely to meet up with you.
regards to you all
Jen

Hi Jen,
Just a thought.

To make your Camino a little less fraught with logistics, less stressful and cheaper, have you considered starting from Pamplona. No cross border expense to have your things transported, and only a single transfer to SDC.

Buen (little luggage) Camino

thank you all for your replies. I will be starting from SJPDP early next week. We have been travelling UK and France for 10 weeks and so are looking forward to the next adventure in our travels.

One final question, my son will be joining us in Leon to walk from there to Santiage with us. Can he pick up a passport there or should I get him one in SJPDP?

I hope that I can catch up with some of you starting around the same time as us. Thank you all for your information and support.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is easier if you have the passport when you meet up with your son. They are available in Leon, but having one in your hand will save you a trip out to find one.

thank you, you have all been really helpful. I have enjoyed reading the threads and will return the favour when another newbie asks a question. Buen Camino...

interesting, I cannot find any accommodation in Roncesvalles for 11th 12th or 13th September. not sure what to do now.This is so against what I thought the Camino pilgrimage would be - I didn't want to have to think and book ahead.... (I can almost see us bedding down on some hay in a barn!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
interesting, I cannot find any accommodation in Roncesvalles for 11th 12th or 13th September. not sure what to do now.This is so against what I thought the Camino pilgrimage would be - I didn't want to have to think and book ahead.... (I can almost see us bedding down on some hay in a barn!)

You might try in this camping which is down from Roncesvalles through Burguete passing several small pensions which probably will also be full. Continue straight through the town on N 135 to this camping which has a special rate and cabins for pilgrims.
http://www.campingurrobi.com/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camping-urrobi-5ks-ish-out-of-roncesvalles.24095/

Last edited:
You might try in this camping which is down from Roncesvalles through Burguete passing several small pensions which probably will also be full. Continue straight through the town on N 135 to this camping which has a special rate and cabins for pilgrims.
http://www.campingurrobi.com/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camping-urrobi-5ks-ish-out-of-roncesvalles.24095/

Thank you MSPATH, we have secured accomodation at the camping ground. Had trouble booking online but when we rang they were very helpful. Feeling relieved that I can see to the end of day1!

We've made it to the end of day 1. I am very tired!!!!! We are in the Camping Urrobi. They have bunkrooms for pilgrims and have given us a room to ourselves. Everything is spotless and the showers are wonderful. There does not seem to be any other pilgrims here.
Burgette also seemed empty so I'm wondering if all the hype about not finding a bed has settled somewhat. The track did not feel particularly crowed either. Anyhow, this is a great find, thanks th MSPATH, and now I have 5 kms less to walk tomorrow.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We've made it to the end of day 1. I am very tired!!!!! We are in the Camping Urrobi. They have bunkrooms for pilgrims and have given us a room to ourselves. Everything is spotless and the showers are wonderful. There does not seem to be any other pilgrims here.
Burgette also seemed empty so I'm wondering if all the hype about not finding a bed has settled somewhat. The track did not feel particularly crowed either. Anyhow, this is a great find, thanks th MSPATH, and now I have 5 kms less to walk tomorrow.
Buen Camino!

I take back what I said. Apparently everyone who arrived at Roncesvalles after 4 pm seeking a bed missed out. But they did organise group taxis to take people to surrounding villages including Camping Urrobi, where we stayed.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back