• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another newbie...

bokormen91

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, Via Podensis, Baztan, Coastal Portugese, sections on others...
Hi all

I'm planning to start my Camino around the 20th-25th of October (depends on estate agents as I'm selling up). I feel (a bit?!?!?!) nervous, but also very excited. I've been lurking in the forums for a while, but figured it was time to de-lurk.

I bought new hiking shoes a couple of days ago, so should have time to slowly break them in. Reading through what everyone else has brought with them has been a big help in planning what to bring. I will obviously need warmer and chunkier clothes than what is needed in Summer, but can also leave hayfever medication at home, which is a massive bonus. Doing the Camino in Spring or Summer is not really an option for me. I've been living in London for a while, but grew up on the coast in Northern Norway so I am quite used to wet, windy and foggy weather - and to thermal underwear...

Obviously everyone is doing the Camino for different reasons, for me it's a bit of a 'time-out'. Time to think and see if I can decide on what to do next in my life. By the end of October I will have just finished my degree (a late starter...). Belongings are going into storage, and home-owner no more - so the choices seem endless. Sometimes it is easier to make your mind for what comes next if there's only two-three options available...

To those starting before me, Buen Camino:)

Margrete

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Margrete and welcome. Sounds like you are in for a fantastic journey. I start walking on 22 October from St Jean so perhaps we will bump into one another.

Jacqueline

Welcome Margrete,
I'll be starting 29 Sept (my first go) and feeling excited and nervous as well.
I live in Sydney Australia so generally not much need for thermals but have come accross some made from fine Merino wool, they really are great nice to wear, warm and breathe really ell too. so you dont instantly cook the moment the temp rises. and a bonus you don't need to wash them as frequently as the "nylon" poly whatever ones because that don't stink up too quick. Not cheap but worth it in my opinion.
This probabaly isn't news to anyone from a colder climate but it was to me ... Laugh

Anyway welcome again and Buen Camino

Pablo

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi :)

Jacqueline - I hope it will be a fantastic journey, but then again I've found over the last few years that if you approach 'new things' with some enthusiasm and a positive attitude; then what might be a negative to others might be turned around as a positive for yourself if that is how you are inclined..,

Pablo; merino wool is worth every penny/ cent/ øre... As you say - they do not 'pong' quite as much as synthetics and they are more comfortable. I've not had much use for it lately, I'm more accustomed to trekking/walking in flip-flops/barefoot (I can just see serious trekkers/hikers shaking their head in despair...). I grew up with cold, damp weather, but think my genetics have played a trick on me! I cannot stand cold! Absolutely detest it!!! However, I've gotten really good at layering. I'm only bringing 1 'normal' T-Shirt - the rest are merino/ silk combinations (which might sound posh, but they came from an outlet shop from a fairly well known Norwegian mail order company).

I'm aiming for 2 of each... One in the pack, one to wear, but might increase that a bit for undies and thermal t-shirts. If that's not enough I might take an extra day somewhere and buy warmer clothes...

PS Do have a winter fleece as well, though. DS

Margrete :)

Forgot to mention - if you're doing the Camino at the same time as me; I'll be the one with a pair of knitting needles. I'm doing a hat at the moment, and thought I'd finish the scarf on the Camino.

Margrete :)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.