• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Antacids

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
What antacids are available in Spain? I am assuming TUMS and ROlAIDS are not available. I did a quick google search and found Almax, but at 7 euros for a box of 20 it’s pretty expensive.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This page from a Spanish online pharmacy should give an idea of the range of antacids available. I live in the UK and I usually find over-the-counter medicines in Spain are more expensive than at home. Probably because they are not generally sold in supermarkets and general stores in Spain as they are here.

Tru dat...the number of farmacias in the Sarria Santiago route that had limited to no over the counter medications was...well, let's just say greater than one.

If you're a regular consumer of a specific brand, I suggest bringing them with you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tru dat...the number of farmacias in the Sarria Santiago route that had limited to no over the counter medications was...well, let's just say greater than one.
I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that the pharmacies in Spain tended not to have "over the counter medications" as opposed to "by prescription only." I don't think that is quite true, although the way they handle and dispense them is often different.

The pharmacies in Spain do not have shelves full of competing brand medications for customers to browse and select from. Rather, you are more often expected to ask the pharmacist for a medication, and they will advise you on what they have, then bringing it to you. (They often speak English.) A supermarket may have a selection of cheaper commonly-used products. A pharmacy carries a few items such as sunscreen but they may be higher-end products and quite expensive. A supermarket will have the cheaper products.

A very helpful link for the brandnames of antacids available in Spain. FWIW, I recognise two names: Rennie and Gaviscon. Gaviscon because I bought it once in a pharmacy in Burgos and Rennie because I've probably known about their existence for a good 50 years. I just googled it: Rennie® tidies up the stomach is a slogan that has been known since 1965 and is still one of the most prominent advertising slogans in Germany. Both of them are prescription free over-the-counter medicines (in Spain).

BTW and just confirming previous comments: In Burgos I did not ask for a specific brand. I just explained what I wanted something for and Gaviscon was what the pharmacist gave me. And I still remember how surprised I was during a first visit to the UK that there you could just grab medicine from the shelves yourself instead of it being given to you by the pharmacist who keeps their pills on shelves behind the counter or in their backroom! 🙂

Last edited:
A supermarket may have a selection of cheaper commonly-used products
But you can't buy ibuprofen, cough medicine or allergy medicine in supermarkets. (at least none that I've seen)
Toiletries like sunscreen, toothpaste, and lip balm are generally quite a bit less expensive in supermarkets than pharmacies.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What antacids are available in Spain? I am assuming TUMS and ROlAIDS are not available. I did a quick google search and found Almax, but at 7 euros for a box of 20 it’s pretty expensive.
I bring Pepto with me and take two each day. This helps me adjust to a change in diet. The food in Spain is great. Pepto does not translate bring your medications.

You are lucky. “Rennie” an antacid chewable made by Bayer, is available in several flavors, in most any farmacia in Spain.

I have seen them, in their bright red box, across most of Europe. It is not sold in food stores. It’s a Euro thing.

It is not currently available in the US. At least I have not seen it. The ingredients are common in many OTC antacid products in the US. But, not in this combination. I found it fast and very effective. Just follow the directions.

They are superior to any OTC antacid I found in the US. I had a bariatric lap-band on my stomach from 2005-2019. Antacids we’re almost a daily need for me.

Just ask the pharmacist for “Rennie.”

Hope this helps.

Tom

I brought tums with me as occasionally I do have issues with unfamiliar foods but I didn’t use any.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
An antacid is something that everyone should have in their personal medicine kit, no matter where you travel! Bring some with you. If you run out, I'm sure you can find something similar in Spain.

-Paul

An antacid is something that everyone should have in their personal medicine kit, no matter where you travel! Bring some with you. If you run out, I'm sure you can find something similar in Spain.

-Paul
I carry just enough of most everything essential in my med kit to get me to the next farmacia.

-Paul
Pain reliever/fever reducer, just enough to get you to the next farmacia. I've never traveled with antacid in my emergency kit in 40+ years of travel.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back