• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Any info on Woman attacked on Camino Norte

peregrinacheena

I hate to bring this up at the forum but i can't seem to find much information on this. I read in passing somewhere that a korean woman was attacked on the camino norte, does anyone know if she is alright and if they caught the creep? Any special areas to watch out for? I plan to walk alone most of the time and this news has weird me out a bit esp since this route tend to be much quieter than the frances. Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have no info about this, but I can tell you one area where you might see a "dick-swinger" (don't know the English word for it): I walked into one when I was walking from Ribadesella to the albergue in San Esteban de Leces. This was on july 24 in the evening around 20:00. A group that had arrived shortly before me had seen nothing, so maybe this man only shows himself to women walking alone. When I told this in the albergue the woman said that the same thing had happened two years ago, apparently he's not very frequent ;-) But if you want to avoid walking into him I would advise finding a companion for the stretch between Ribadesella and San Esteban the Leces or to take a bus.

On the norte it can indeed happen that you walk alone for many hours. I have walked alone a lot and have not had any other problems on the Norte, none at all. After the abovementioned incident (I 'solved' it by starting to walk back and stopping a car, asking the driver to take me past this man) I got myself a big stick but of course have never needed it.

I still very much recommend the Norte, also for women who walk alone. It's beautiful, I loved it. Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum