• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any October Starters?

JodyB

I am from Seattle, Washington USA and will be travelling from SJPP around Oct.6th or so. I saw that there are a few people starting mid-October and was encouraged to see this considering that some of the refugios may be closed.

My decision to do this was inspired by an opportunity to meet up with some friends in Paris around Nov. 21st and I thought to myself that maybe I could do this walk before meeting them. I have a picture of the Camino de Santiago map taped to a board in my bedroom that see it everyday. ...so I can't believe I willed it to be true!

I haven't bought my ticket yet, but plan to fly into Paris and take the train south to Bayonne.

Can anyone tell me how they are training to walk?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My husband and i will be starting from Roncevalles on about Oct. 3, so we'll be ahead of you. We're from the Sierra Foothills in CA. For the past couple of weeks we've been walking up a steep hill by our house with our backpacks on and using our trekking poles. However, we're only going 1 to 2.5 hours per day. We plan to ramp up and start longer walks soon. We've taken some summer hikes in the mountains, but only about 8 miles. We need to get going soon! Maybe you'll catch up with us along the path. Our names are Holly and Rick.

Holly/Rick,

Great! I hope to run into you out there. I walked 12miles over varied urban terrain on Sunday and have to say that I definately wasn't feeling like doing that the following day. I'm also trying to walk to the store for groceries and incorporate walking into my daily life.

When I hike in the Cascade Range its usually never more than 8 miles roundtrip so I will need to really get into gear soon :!:

Jody

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jody, Holly, and Rick

My travel companion and I hope to start our walk from StJPdP on Oct 1.

I come from Asia and the weather and walking conditions will be vey different for me. I walk with friends with a reasonably sized watermelon in my backpack, and as incentives, we feast on the watermelon at the end of the walk :) I normally walk 10 to 12k on Sundays and cross train with stairs climbing and running during the week. Where I live now, there are not many hills to climb.

Our names are Pat and Rebecca. Happy planning and training. I hope to meet with each of you along the journey.

Rebecca

RestlessRose said:
I walk with friends with a reasonably sized watermelon in my backpack

That sounds like a great idea! I just got back from a nice walk to the store. I should've bought a watermelon.

Jody

Hi Jody

We try to walk in a pack. The leads will be the ones carrying the goodies ie the melons and the 100 Plus. Others will follow behind, keeping an eye on the goodies. Sometimes when the going gets tough and we groan at yet another flight of seemingly endless stairs, we would chant "melon" "melon" "melon" :) little ways to lighten the mood. We sometimes have younger people in the group and this makes the walk less tedious for them (and as much for us !).

I have bought my ticket to Paris. So this is for real now !

My walking partner and I have yet to decide if we will start from Roncesvelles or SJPP. Regardless, we will start, come Oct 1 !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HI Jody,

I've got my own treadmill and ealk about 10km a day during the week, and then normally about 35km per day on the weekends. I've done a lot of walks, mainly at altitude. I did Everest Base Camp and Annapurna Region in the Himalayas last December, and I find that it's mental training that is most important. You need to realise that your body will hurt, and you will feel tired, but you need to just get up and go the next day. The body is definitely capable.

I'm also taking 30 protein bars with me to consume throughout the walk. It's a healthier alternative to chocolate bars, and the extra protein helps the tired muscles. My bag will be about 15-16kgs at the start (also holidaying in London and FInland after the tour) , which most people will say is too heavy, but I'm 6'3" and tip the scales at a tad over 100kgs, so it's only 15% of body weight, which is easily done. I carried the bag throughout Nepal, so I know I can cope with it.

Bien Camino all!

Hi there, I am from Oslo,plan to start walking in oct from SJPD but I am worried about the weather conditions in the mountains,Cold?Snow? Have done the Via Podensis, France in oct last year and had to stop walking due to snow, tor otto

Hello - I too will be starting in October, though haven't quite decided which route I'll walk or where I'll start. Leaning towards the Frances starting in SJPP at the moment, though - I just love that town!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello all,
I also plan to walk the Camino Frances, starting from SJPP on October 3rd. My training
was going well until a few weeks ago when I fell from a ladder, injuring my ribs and shoulder.
I am improving now and managed around 15 miles on Sunday, with no ill-effects, which was
a great morale booster! Looking forward to meeting some of you on the trail.
Andy.

Wildrover1 said:
Hello all,
I also plan to walk the Camino Frances, starting from SJPP on October 3rd. My training
was going well until a few weeks ago when I fell from a ladder, injuring my ribs and shoulder.
I am improving now and managed around 15 miles on Sunday, with no ill-effects, which was
a great morale booster! Looking forward to meeting some of you on the trail.
Andy.

Be Careful! You wouldn't want anything to ruin your trip. I just purchased some Travel Insurance yesterday. It was kind of expensive because of the length of the trip. Everyday, I'm trying to do a few things to prepare for October besides training walks.

I'm curious how prepared people are feeling with their trip about a month away.

Jody

Hello Jody B - I'm not in the least bit prepared, and I was never prepared when I did stages of the camino before. Usually for me it's a sudden compulsion to get on to the path, and then I'm booking my tickets and off I go! Physically that's never had any ill effects, though admittedly I never walked for more than 3 weeks at a time. The great thing about the camino is that you can only do it one step at a time anyway, so making plans (other than practical ones, like your travel insurance!) doesn't come into it.
Anyway, you certainly seem prepared in spirit!

Can I just add I also walked from SJPdP to Santiago (and then on to Fisterra) in October last year and I never trained for it as I only decided 2 weeks before the trip that I was going to do it! I was 44 years old, a 60lbs overweight woman who does not work and therefore sits at her computer all day long (ie extremely unfit).

I obviously was not able to walk as fast as some of my fellow pilgrims on the way, and was unable to complete anything like regular 30k days. My daily distance ranged from 15km to 28km - I completed the Camino in 6 weeks rather than the 4-5 weeks it takes other people but hey so what! I am not saying that people should not prepare physically for the walk - obviously it's an advantage if you do. All I am saying that if you have not trained, it's not the end of the world! If you are determined to walk the Camino you will still walk the Camino!

Good luck!

Thanks Isabelle, that takes the pressure off! I'm leaving SJPP around 17th Oct, haven't read of any others leaving then, most will be ahead of me.

Buen Camino to you all,
Brenda

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
HI, i'm starting the camino from SJPP on October 14th or 15th depending on how late I arrive there after catching the train from Bayonne. Is anyone starting then? and do you need to book the first night in SJPP if the Refugio is closed? Ultra

That time of year is fine for SJPP. I arrive on 18th and start walking , flying out of Santiago to London on 19th November. Hope to see you all fit and well on the pathway!

Hello,

My name is Maria and I am an Irish pilgrim embarking on my first Camino. Although I am flying from Dublin to Bilbao on Saturday 26 September en route to my starting point at Roncesvalles, I intend taking it at a pretty easy pace, especially at the beginning, so October starters may well meet me at some stage.

While this is my first posting, I have been using the forum for some time and I would like to offer my thanks to Ivar and to all who have shared your wisdom, experience and encouragement on this site. You have made a great difference to me and, I am sure, to other newbies.

Gracias y Buen Camino.

Maria

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sadly my walking companion fell seriously ill and will not be able to make it for the camino.

Reading the postings from this forum, I am however encouraged by the number of women attempting this on their own and feel that perhaps I too can do it.

I have come this far. My bag is almost all packed. My flight to Paris is on Sept 28. The timing for the trip, at this point in my life, is perfect.

I dont deny feeling some apprehension but I had committed myself to this trip, so I will push ahead.

(by golly, am i really doing this !?!)

Buen Camino, October Starters. I hope I will be meeting some of you along the way.

Rebecca

RestlessRose said:
Sadly my walking companion fell seriously ill and will not be able to make it for the camino.

Reading the postings from this forum, I am however encouraged by the number of women attempting this on their own and feel that perhaps I too can do it.

Rebecca

Don't let the loss of your walking companion put you off. It's no problem walking the Camino as a woman on your own. In fact, you won't be on your own very long as you'll make acquaintances faster this way. I know you must be feeling a bit nervous right now but don't worry, the feeling will evaporate after..... oooh.... about 10 mins of walking! :wink:

Your flight to Paris is on the same day as my birthday :mrgreen: so I'll think about you that day. I myself am flying the day after to Sevilla to walk the Via de la Plata and I'll be on my own too.

Have a great and rewarding Camino, and don't forget to post on this forum during the journey!

Isabelle

You're not alone in your nervousness Rebecca, me too! But we'll be fine, as everyone says, we won't be alone for long.

Buen Camino,
Brenda

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Isabelle. Have yourself a wonderful camino too. And in case I get caught in last minute rushes, a very happy birthday to you in advance. I am hoping I will reach Santiago in time for my birthday, on Nov 1st. We shall see.

Brenda, thanks for the assurance, and yes, you are right. We will be fine. Does not quite remove the nervousness at this moment but it is alright.

Buen Camino
Rebecca

Hi all,

I'm starting from Roncesvalles on the 13th of Oct and am very encouraged to hear of others being on the road at this time. I was a little bit apprehensive about doing the walk solo this late in the season as I certainly don't want to be lonely!!

Safe travels- Amy

I will be arriving in Paris morning of Sept 29th, and intends to take the TGV to Biarritz. I am hoping to overnight in Biarritz before heading to Bayonne to catch a train to St Jean on Sept 30th.

Do anyone have a recommendation for a decent and not too expensive hotel in Biarritz ? Ideally it should also be not too far from the station.

Thanks a bunch.
Rebecca

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rebecca,
I'm staying at Hotel Paris Madrid on Oct. 6th... right next to the train station in Bayonne. It looks like its easy to catch a bus from the Biaritz airport as it is only 5km away to Bayonne.

The other hotel I looked at was called Hotel la Marine in Biaritz. The pics online look nice and not too far from the water.

Hotel Paris Madrid in Bayonne is a great place to stay.
Clean, polite proprietors and not expensive.

I hope you enjoy it.

This spring we stayed at Hotel Amaia - the family that owns it were so friendly, very helpful and the location great.

HĂ´tel Amaia
35 av Maréchal Joffre
BIARRITZ
telephone : 05.59.23.09.49
fax : 05.59.23.22.07
email : resa@amaia.fr

lynne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,
I'm starting October 6 from Burgos (I've decided to go French way). Also on my own, but hope everything'll be ok. This is my first trip where I go alone, I'm a little bit nervous, but only a little.
I've been travelling quite much in my life and have a good praxis how to heal blisters. So in case, maybe I can help you.

See you soon
Daiva

Thanks Jody.

I have decided to travel through the day on to St Jean. And take my rest there.

My plane arrives in Paris 6h55. I will catch the 10h10 train to Biarritz arriving 15h06. My connection from Bayonne is at 18h12, arriving in St Jean at 19h35. Kind of back-to-back but with sufficient time to not stress and not too long in-transit time to be tiresome.

Buen Camino,
Rebecca

Hi all!

I'm staring from Leon on October 5.Only have three weeks, so hoping to make it all the way to Finisterre. I'm also very glad to see that there are many others (and other solo women) walking at this time. Hoping to meet some of you along the way!!

Hola from Australia!

Anastasia

I know you will be starting soon, so JodyB just wanted to wish you Buen Camino.

I started my walk on Sept 30 to Orisson, and have reached Burgos as of yesterday evening.

It has been an incredible experience, and I have met people from so many countries. It is not at all a problem for women to walk alone. So many I have met along the way are doing so.

***** I would recommend walkers to stop in Granon and Espinosa, each, for the night. The experience is very well worth it, even if from the outside, the places appear dubious.

I always seem to run out of internet minutes !

Buen Camino all !
Rebecca

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back