• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone planning Camino Sept/Oct 2013 from Gold Coast/Bris

sandee22

Time of past OR future Camino
Have booked flights leaving Bris Sept 21. Hope to start walking from SJPP Sept 24. Getting into planning mode now. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
sandee22 said:
Have booked flights leaving Bris Sept 21. Hope to start walking from SJPP Sept 24. Getting into planning mode now. :D

I'm travelling with 5 other people (3 couples) in May-June. We live on the (not so) Sunny Coast....sitting at home through severe storms & flooding at the moment. We fly out of Brisbane & start our walk from SJPP 4 May. We won't be there with you, but you are very welcome to contact me during our journey if you want to know something in particular..

(not so) healthytoo.

Thanks so much for your reply healthytoo. Will keep this in mind. Heres to a happy & safe Camino for you & your friends

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have not yet booked but am planning to fly out early Sept - am from Brisbane (ust like not too sunny coast sitting through mini tornados and crazy storms) so may meet you on the way somewhere.
Sandi

sandee22 said:

Hi sandee22,
I'm from Brissy and hope to leave two days after you from SJPP. Glad to see you and SandiF will be on the trail. Will be taking same route as you to get there with perhaps a day or two in Paris to recover from jet lag. May catch up with you somewhere along the way!

Hi Rebell36

We are from the south side of Brisbane & also looking at doing the Camino Sept/Oct 2013.
As yet we have not booked any flights as yet. Can you tell me what airline you will be flying with
& how you will be getting their?
We are hoping to start from SJ to Santiago!!

Regards
Jan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi
Sole traveler leaving Coolangatta 22 April -> Singapore-> Paris (CDG} _> train south. I have 15 days of walking so probably as far as Burgos the fly out via Madrid. Very excited and already planning the return in September 2014 to finish through to Muxia.
Have fun all

Scoot from coolangatta to Singapore then air France to Paris. About $1360 economy. Good connections and arrive Paris 0630.

Hi, I'm from Brisbane and flights booked to leave 6th Sept - I starting my Camino on the 11th In Pamploma. I have 4 & 1/2 weeks to walk, getting very excited. 6 months to go.
Carla

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had dinner last night with a friend's French uncle who has walked a camino each year or the last 13 years. He is 85 ! He has spent a total of two years on pilgrimage.
The longest was from his home near Paris (2600km) and the shortest was last year from Madrid (700km). Including two caminos from Seville where he would rarely see other pilgrims until the end of the day.

His advice to me was go alone but meet and talk to people at dinner, don't take a phone, and don't take rest days, rather shorter days.

It's pretty inspiring.

Hi Jan,
So far I'm planning to book with Singapore Airlines which stops in Singapore to change planes and on to Paris CDG Airport. I'm so far planning to go alone and I know that they are great to fly with! Will train from there from Montparnasse Station to Bayonne and catch a bus from there into SJPP. Coming home seems to be a bit more difficult, I will probably fly Ryan Air from Santiago to London. The only problem is that I think all carriers out of Santiago fly into Stansted which then requires an expensive transfer to Heathrow or a convoluted trip in the underground! Have not booked anything yet so if you come up with a better plan please let me know!!! BTW found a great hotel on the Ile De Cite which is reasonably priced and a great place to unwind, close to all the most lovely things to see in Paris and not far from the train station!
Regards
Elaine

Hi Rebell 36 & Jan. Great to know there will be other Aussies starting the Camino journey around the same time I am. Have either of you booked the train from Paris to Bayonne? At present doing a little research on which train and where to catch it from. Any ideas?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Sandee22,

tried to book the train this morning on the Rail Europe site but it is way too early to reserve tickets yet, will try again in a couple of months.The station to leave from is Montparnasse and is about a 5 hour trip on a direct line. Thinking to book an early train 7.30am. Don't forget if you are using Ryan Air to get home that you have to pay for checked baggage when you buy your ticket or else it costs 4 times as much, also they don't allow walking poles in hand luggage so best just to check in your pack.
If you pick up anything interesting please give me a heads up! So excited already!
Regards
Elaine

Hi,
You can also get a train from Charles de Gaulle airport to Bayonne and then the local train to SJPP.
Leaving Santiago I got a bus back to Paris. 24 hour trip but I enjoyed it. Not for everyone but plenty of time to reflect on the journey.
Llew

Hi All,

I'm leaving Brisbane on 30th August flying Emirates to Madrid (with the obligatory stop over in Dubai) hoping to start walking from Burgos > Santiago from 2 Sept onwards and then flying out of Madrid on 29th September.

If anyone wants to go on any training walks over the next couple of months please PM me. I've been out and about with two soon-to-be pilgrims who start their adventure in April and we have had so much fun chatting everything Camino!

Cheers,
Lauren

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Lauren - I am planning to do pretty much the same as you travel-wise but sadly from Sydney, not Bris. I hope to meet up with you somewhere though. May I ask how many kilometres per day you are planning on covering? Also, how much training are you doing in preparation? Hoping to learn from you ...

sandee22 said:

Yes I'm from the Gold Coast and I too am arriving in September. Flying into Madrid from Naples around 22nd. Traveling alone but very excited!!

AusKaz said:
sandee22 said:

Yes I'm from the Gold Coast and I too am arriving in September. Flying into Madrid from Naples around 22nd. Traveling alone but very excited!!

I will be starting from Sarria on the 24th hopefully. :D :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
latch24 said:
Hi All,

I'm leaving Brisbane on 30th August flying Emirates to Madrid (with the obligatory stop over in Dubai) hoping to start walking from Burgos > Santiago from 2 Sept onwards and then flying out of Madrid on 29th September.

If anyone wants to go on any training walks over the next couple of months please PM me. I've been out and about with two soon-to-be pilgrims who start their adventure in April and we have had so much fun chatting everything Camino!

Cheers,
Lauren

Yes Id love to go training with someone. I started training last weekend. Was looking at walking trails in the area to start weekend day walks. be interested in teaming up?
Karen :D

Hi everyone,
I'm landing in Madrid on the 22nd or 23rd hoping to start walking by 24th from Sarria.
I fly out of Madrid on the 1st October to Paris.[Long way home on the milk run] :?
I would love to hear from anyone in Brisb/Gold Coast who wants to do a few walks on weekends to start training. Have started training in 5km-6km stints but have a long way to go if I want to make it to 20km. Very Excited!! Cant wait!! :D

fallow said:
Hi Lauren - I am planning to do pretty much the same as you travel-wise but sadly from Sydney, not Bris. I hope to meet up with you somewhere though. May I ask how many kilometres per day you are planning on covering? Also, how much training are you doing in preparation? Hoping to learn from you ...

Oh how cool, let's hope that happens :) Nothing quite like bumping into a fellow Aussie while you're on an adventure.

For my training at the moment I am walking 6-7kms a few times a week after work in my runners with a backpack (probably 3kgs with various work related items) and every 3 - 4 weeks am heading out on the weekend with some friends for a hike that varies. One time it was 8kms with some sloping hills, another time it was 9km road walk through the country, just yesterday we did a 7km mountain hike that was just straight up (ouch! so hard!) and I used my new camino shoes and hiking poles for the first time. My plan is to keep doing the same type of things and try and include some increasingly longer walks >10 - 15kms with my backpack weight also increasing.

My plan for the camino is to walk only around 15kms on my first few days and build up to the longer distances. I would hope the longest I ever walk would be 25kms in one day. My nicely set plans may fly out the window though depending on what the Camino throws at me.

I hope this helps!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Lauren, Thanks for getting back to me. Im not able to reply to you via the message...??? I've started researching walks that can be completed in a day. I will compile a list and flick you a copy and we can take it from there. I am finding it difficult to motivate myself on my own to walk everyday so it would be nice to have someone who is about to do the same thing as me to inspire me... I picked up my shoes for the trip so I'm keen to train in them. He he Karen

sandee22 said:
Hi. We're planning a Camino walk for just 7 days in September. Not sure which date yet as we are attending a wedding in France on 20th . I've got a problem deciding which Camino route to take and where on earth to start!! So many options, any advice for me? I don't know anyone who has done it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi also leaving September October from Goldcoast

regards

john

We are from the south side of Brisbane & also looking at doing the Camino Sept/Oct 2013.
As yet we have not booked any flights as yet. Can you tell me what airline you will be flying with

Regards
Jan[/quote]

Hi All

Just finalised all our airfares going Malaysian KL then direct to Paris we are not stopping in Paris getting another flight direct to Biarritz. then train direct to SJ want to start on September 2nd
we live on the Goldcoast and have been training every weekend 10k walks any one want to come with us this weekend its a great location Koala's and Kangaroo's along the walk at Coombabah lakes reserve.

regards

John and Madeleine

Hi Jan
John and Madeleine we are going also in September leaving Brisbane with Malaysian Airline really good price leaving on the 30th August hoping to start 2nd September have all flights booked and have worked out the train as well to SJ if you need a hand with arrangements please message

regards

John and Madeleine

Regards
Jan[/quote]

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anyone planning Camino Sept 2013 from Sunshine Coast/Calound

Hi All,
We have just booked our tickets flying out Sept 1 2013 to Paris via Seoul. We are going to walk the Portuguese route from either Lisbon or Porto, (it will depend on how our training goes over the next few months). :lol:
We are in Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast, and love to either train or even have a chat with anyone else from our area that has walked or is planning on walking the Camino.
This is question for the ladies, just wondering what you wore are planning on wearing to sleep in?
I'm trying to keep my pack to a reasonable weight as we are carrying them.
Julie

I am leaving around Sept 14th from Brisvegas- have not booked as yet- still thinking. usually fly Singapore. Will fly to Paris have a few days there then train to Bayonne and to St jean- a day there then start walk around 19th - have 8 weeks off work- last week will spend at home.

Getting Home:
will fly Vuelling ( hope they are safe ) approx 1 hr flight from Santiago to Barcelona and then fly out from there the next day via Singapore .

Not sure how far ahead have to book Vuelling- will need to leav Santiago on Oct 31st

Annie

Training :

The Border track from Binna Burra to Oreillys is 20 kms- I am considering doing it at some time. Would necessitate an overnight stay at Oreillys and walk 20 kms back to car at Binna Burra the next day.

Annie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We have found that Flying from Paris to Bairittz is Far cheaper than the train Ryian Air do it for about $80 the train is over $120 yes the train ride would be nicer but timing is all out for us

The Binna Burra track sounds good if you need some company my wife and i would be up for it we are going in September leaving 31st August

regards

John

johnvp said:
We have found that Flying from Paris to Bairittz is Far cheaper than the train Ryian Air do it for about $80 the train is over $120 yes the train ride would be nicer but timing is all out for us
I paid 32 Euros Montparnasse to Biarritz on the TGV August 2012 - Booked a couple of months in advance.

Regds
Gerard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am using train time to make sure I am over any jet lag - although do not usually notice it. and give me a rest so am ready and eager when start the walk.

Is Bayonne worth a day for viewing ??

Annie

Annie Little said:
Is Bayonne worth a day for viewing ??
Biarritz sure is. A relaxing seaside spot. Great walking along the rocky shoreline, good beaches.
I got off the train at Biarritz and got a bus outside to downtown, got accommodation thru the tourist office, wandered for a couple of days, then caught an early local bus (1/2 hour) to Bayonne train station in order to catch the train to SJPDP.

Buen Camino
Gerard

Hi Annie, my name is Carla and am flying out from Brisbane on the 6th Sept starting my Camino on Tuesday 10th from Pamploma. I have joined a group called Girls Trekking adventure (check Internet and Facebook), I have been doing Sunday walks once a month with them at Mt Cootha, with are free, and am doing a 3 day hike in Lamington the first weekend of June, just to see how I go. They have helped a lot with information about hiking and happy to answer questions.
Just thought I would let you know, maybe something you could be interested in.
From the second week if June I plan to do walking at Mt Cootha every week do get some hill work in, you are interested, usually early Saturday or Sunday about 6am start. I need to get some Km's on my legs (a saying someone said to me).

Hope you find this interesting
Carla

Thanks Carla - I am checking out the group - am not sure the age range of the group though. Thanks for the info

Annie

Carla, thanks for th tip about girls hiking group- had a good workout to day and will be going weekly with them. :)

Annie

€46,-
Great to hear you enjoyed training with them. I will be attending the Saturday morning hikes as of next Saturday, hope to meet you there. Carla

Hi

Anybody doing training on the Gold Coast my wife and i are looking for training partners have already stepped up to 12km walks around the Runnaway Bay end of the Coast would love to join anyone in the area

Hi Folks

I am leaving Melbourne on Sept 17 via KL then TVG from Paris, I will stay a couple of nites in St Jean before the crossing I am 64 so if any of you young people see an old guy trudging along stop and say hi.

I lived in Qld on and off through the 60's my son lives on the Sunshine Coast.

All Have a great trip

Trevor

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Trev :)

I will be just ahead of you. Plan to start walking from St Jean on wed 18th- all going well. Arrive in Paris from Brisbane on 14th . May spend a few days either Paris or Bayonne or St Jean- not sure yet.. Might get itchy feet and wanna get on track sooner..

Annie

johnvp said:
Hi Jan
John and Madeleine we are going also in September leaving Brisbane with Malaysian Airline really good price leaving on the 30th August hoping to start 2nd September have all flights booked and have worked out the train as well to SJ if you need a hand with arrangements please message

regards

John and Madeleine

Regards
Jan
[/quote]

We have booked Malaysia Airlines they seem to be the cheapest and they go direct to Paris from KL they leave from Sydney we are on the August 31st Flight

Regards

John and Madeleine

I was intending to spend two days in Paris Before heading to St Jean.... BUT now think I may just head on down.... can do Paris next year.... will probably be eager to get onto the walk this time... may spend some time on way down to St Jean... will get train and stop along the way.. to get over long trip from Australia....

Annie :)

€60,-
Hi Trevor & Annie.

I will be arriving in Paris on Sunday morning 22nd September from Brisbane. At present I hope to be able to book train from Charles De Gaulle Airport train station to Bayonne train station and then a connecting train to St Jean Pied de Port all on that Sunday. If not connecting train will stay in Bayonne a night and travel the next day. Plan is to start walking on Tuesday 24th September. I will more than likely be seeing both of you and many other pilgrims on the way.

Happy Planning & Buen Camino.
Di :D

Hi Ross,
Where are you from and are you training anywhere at this time im confused in regards to the temp in sept oct the weather stations say its around this temp we are experiencing know but i hear other that say the temp can be in the 30 any info
regards

John

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, MrsMac and possibly 2 others from the Gold Coast are flying out in late Sept and hope to be on the road by Oct1

Hi All
getting close leaving in 4 weeks have been doing some long training walks 25km up at Binna Burra great location anyone leaving on the 30th August like to catch up before we go.
Also still debating liner or sleeping bag can any one advice for September and October do you need a Sleeping bag
Regards

John

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Annie Little said:
Training :

The Border track from Binna Burra to Oreillys is 20 kms- I am considering doing it at some time. Would necessitate an overnight stay at Oreillys and walk 20 kms back to car at Binna Burra the next day.

Annie

:D Hi There Annie,

Im from the Gold Coast and was hoping to hook up with anyone training for the Comino. I arrive in Sarria 23rd to start walking next day. [Spending 10 days in Italy first]
Joining the 16km Club Kokoda walking club this Sunday to get some walking in. I have about 5 weekends left so would love some walking company anyone?

AusKaz said:
latch24 said:
Hi All,

Cheers,
Lauren

Yes Id love to go training with someone. I started training last weekend. Was looking at walking trails in the area to start weekend day walks. be interested in teaming up?
Karen :D

Hi Lauren - Sorry I cant seam to reply using this chat thingy? Hows your training going? Not long now?

johnvp said:
Hi All
getting close leaving in 4 weeks have been doing some long training walks 25km up at Binna Burra great location anyone leaving on the 30th August like to catch up before we go.
Also still debating liner or sleeping bag can any one advice for September and October do you need a Sleeping bag
Regards

John

Hi There John,

Is it advised to walk with someone on this particular walk? Can I get info online about this walk?
Thanks Karen:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
AusKaz said:
johnvp said:
Hi John, I found I definitely needed a sleeping bag for Sep/Oct. What I used -
http://www.velogear.com.au/outdoors/cam ... g-bag.html

Hi There John,
Is it advised to walk with someone on this particular walk? Can I get info online about this walk?
Thanks Karen:)
Hi Karen, Not a problem as long as usual safety norms are followed. Heaps of info on this forum regarding women heading off alone. Find your way to the Camino Frances section of this forum and check the posts. Another option- Note the "Search Forum" section at the top right of this page. Open it in a new tab, enter 'Women alone', hit search.
Regds
Gerard

Hi Karen,

I have many female friends that do it alone you will meet many people on the way and im sure you wont be alone for long
regards

John

Hi, I'm from the Gold Coast and flying to Paris on the 29th August, then train down to Le-Puy-En-Velay to begin the Le-Puy route. Everyone seems to be doing the French way but I'm hopefull I'll meet some fellow Aussies along the way.

Enjoy everyone and buen camino.

€60,-
sandee22 said:
Hi Trevor & Annie.

I will be arriving in Paris on Sunday morning 22nd September from Brisbane. At present I hope to be able to book train from Charles De Gaulle Airport train station to Bayonne train station and then a connecting train to St Jean Pied de Port all on that Sunday. If not connecting train will stay in Bayonne a night and travel the next day. Plan is to start walking on Tuesday 24th September. I will more than likely be seeing both of you and many other pilgrims on the way.

Happy Planning & Buen Camino.
Di :D
Hi Sandee

I am leaving Melbourne on the 17th Sept. flying via KL to Paris then catch bus in Paris to connect with TGV to Bayonne the St Jean.

Spending 2 nites before taking off, hope we catch up.

Trevor

Hi everyone,
just stumbled across this thread. My hubbie and myself are arriving in Paris on the 23 sept and then taking a few days to get down to St J, walking from probs the 1st oct. We have 6 weeks all up but would also like to see a bit more of the country as well... who knows how long it will be before you can get back... so may not be able to complete the whole walk. We haven't had the time to sit down and work out what we leave out or just keep walking till we run out out of time.
AusKaz what is the kokoda walk that u r talking about? can anyone join? Im starting to think my 4k walk around the block (it is hilly :wink: ) with the dog might not be sufficient training - haha

Cherie, A few years back we literally took a wrong turn over a mountain range and ended up in Le puy en velay, absolutely gobsmacked by the massive statures and monastery on the volcanic plugs, tried looking up Lonely planet to see where in Oz we had ended up, not a mention of this magical town!

Buen Camino
Carmel

Port Macquarie NSW, my wife and I are leaving SJPDP on Sept 2nd.
Staying hotel Ramuntcho.
Keen to meet others along the way.

Booney

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Boon_Coon said:
Port Macquarie NSW, my wife and I are leaving SJPDP on Sept 2nd.
Staying hotel Ramuntcho.
Keen to meet others along the way.

Hi John from Brisbane also leaving on the 2nd

Booney

Annie Little said:
I am leaving around Sept 14th from Brisvegas- have not booked as yet- still thinking. usually fly Singapore. Will fly to Paris have a few days there then train to Bayonne and to St jean- a day there then start walk around 19th - have 8 weeks off work- last week will spend at home.

Getting Home:
will fly Vuelling ( hope they are safe ) approx 1 hr flight from Santiago to Barcelona and then fly out from there the next day via Singapore .

Not sure how far ahead have to book Vuelling- will need to leav Santiago on Oct 31st

Annie
Hi Annie sorry im not good at bloggs just noticed all your bloggs and noticed you have been walking in Lamigton as well its a great place to walk love the countyside

regards

John (hope you get this

€60,-
Hi All
I live on the sunshine coast -will be flying out of Brisbane with Malaysian Airlines on the 31st August and plan to start walking from SJPP on the 3rd of Sept- Ist night at Orrison. Hope to meet up with some of you.
Jo

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back