• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April Camino

Seamus68

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Apr 2017
Camino Del Norte April 2018
Camino Frances - St Jean to Burgos 2019
hi hope to travel Camino in April any advice appreciated Jr. Seamus..it's the caminofrances ..from st pied de port.. Looking for lightweight shoes..it's my 50th in March so will do walk in April when weather bit warmer..

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Seamus and welcome!

It would help if you state which Camino (assume the Francés) and where you are travelling from.

In the meantime there is a section on the Forum just on Travelling to/from the Camino which has lots of useful information for you.

well, since in April rain (and depending on location, even snow) is probably possible to probable on all routes (and on some routes inevitable and daily) I would say make sure you have some sort of rain gear and tested it. There is much debate poncho vs jacket (pro's poncho, can take it off without removing pack, cons--wind can blow it; jacket pro's--can be used just as a jacket, or to wear while washing everything else...cons, have to take off pack to remove, and will need a pack cover). in either case (I liked my jacket, and got a dayglo bright pack cover to aid visibility in poor weather ) i suggest a light weight ball cap (I took one of my runners caps) to wear under the hood of poncho or jacket...neither is as good for keeping rain out of your face as a ball cap--this was one of my surprise favorite most used items). then pants vs gaiters (pros gaiters--not as warm--not a pro to me, but to many, cons the rest of your legs will get wet; pants-pros for me, warm, and you can wear while washing everything else, cons...some think they are too warm); then there is waterproof vs non water proof boot/shoes...the debate is endless...I chose waterproof because I was walking very wet routes in april but there are endless pros and cons to each. I also appreciate the extra warmth of gortex in shoes and clothes in April...i tend to be cold. I would read though as many debates on all of these as you can tolerate, look at precipitation predicted for your route, then test your gear in the rain this winter (or if need be, a shower or under a sprinkler)...test test test for how comfortable you are wet-wise, temp-wise, etc if possible by walking in the rain. Make sure you love your wet weather gear long before you get on the airplane.
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
SS makes some great suggestions..the one key is which Camino and for how long.
I've walked the CF in Spring and Fall, the CP in early Summer and the CI in October. My first Camino I carried Way too much: "might needs". From then on my pack has weighed under 18 lbs/ . The difference being that a sleeping bag might be needed in April/Oct, but you can do quite well with just a silk/polypro sleeping bag liner. Another is a poncho rather than a rain suit...it's light weight, the Altus brand also covers your pack, can be used as a tarp/or a ground cloth if you picnic. Dri-wick t-shirts, fleece vest and a good quality wind breaker should suffice. I also recommend you take a "lifesaver", this homemade item, when worn properly provides an additional vapor-barrier retaining body heat around your core. Has been known to save a life or two. It's simple a black trash bag with openings cut for your head and arms. It weighs nothing, absorbs nothing, stores anywhere and can save your life.

well, since in April rain (and depending on location, even snow) is probably possible to probable on all routes (and on some routes inevitable and daily) I would say make sure you have some sort of rain gear and tested it. There is much debate poncho vs jacket (pro's poncho, can take it off without removing pack, cons--wind can blow it; jacket pro's--can be used just as a jacket, or to wear while washing everything else...cons, have to take off pack to remove, and will need a pack cover). in either case (I liked my jacket, and got a dayglo bright pack cover to aid visibility in poor weather ) i suggest a light weight ball cap (I took one of my runners caps) to wear under the hood of poncho or jacket...neither is as good for keeping rain out of your face as a ball cap--this was one of my surprise favorite most used items). then pants vs gaiters (pros gaiters--not as warm--not a pro to me, but to many, cons the rest of your legs will get wet; pants-pros for me, warm, and you can wear while washing everything else, cons...some think they are too warm); then there is waterproof vs non water proof boot/shoes...the debate is endless...I chose waterproof because I was walking very wet routes in april but there are endless pros and cons to each. I also appreciate the extra warmth of gortex in shoes and clothes in April...i tend to be cold. I would read though as many debates on all of these as you can tolerate, look at precipitation predicted for your route, then test your gear in the rain this winter (or if need be, a shower or under a sprinkler)...test test test for how comfortable you are wet-wise, temp-wise, etc if possible by walking in the rain. Make sure you love your wet weather gear long before you get on the airplane.
Buen Camino!
Many thx it's the Camino France's from st pied de port to Santiago for my 50th birthday I'm jacking in my job will think more about my rain gear thx for your help

SS makes some great suggestions..the one key is which Camino and for how long.
I've walked the CF in Spring and Fall, the CP in early Summer and the CI in October. My first Camino I carried Way too much: "might needs". From then on my pack has weighed under 18 lbs/ . The difference being that a sleeping bag might be needed in April/Oct, but you can do quite well with just a silk/polypro sleeping bag liner. Another is a poncho rather than a rain suit...it's light weight, the Altus brand also covers your pack, can be used as a tarp/or a ground cloth if you picnic. Dri-wick t-shirts, fleece vest and a good quality wind breaker should suffice. I also recommend you take a "lifesaver", this homemade item, when worn properly provides an additional vapor-barrier retaining body heat around your core. Has been known to save a life or two. It's simple a black trash bag with openings cut for your head and arms. It weighs nothing, absorbs nothing, stores anywhere and can save your life.
Thx lifesaver good idea I have a lot of the gear trouble finding lightweight shoes..it's the Camino France's for my 50th birthday..I'm really looking forward..if I don't get time off work I'll hand in notice

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Seamus, you are a man on a mission. Once the Camino becomes part of you...it never becomes less...always more!
Keep us up to speed on your adventure along the Way.

Arn

Thx lifesaver good idea I have a lot of the gear trouble finding lightweight shoes..it's the Camino France's for my 50th birthday..I'm really looking forward..if I don't get time off work I'll hand in notice

Seamus68

I met a PCT hiker who recommended Altra Lone Peak NeoShell mids to me, and so far, I love them. Big toe box, light-weight, and the soles are grippy enough for rock scrambling and easy rock climbing, about 140$US. They are waterproof enough to hike in the rain, but I wouldn't slosh through a puddle in them. I spent a long time in the shop deciding what size to buy- I went the larger size, and am still experimenting with socks and footbeds. I will start walking April 29, so, I'll break in a new pair of these a couple weeks before I leave. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back