• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April Fool?

vicquilterv

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (2019)
Hello forum,
I am a camino virgin, starting with the Via de la Plata. As I leave in 4.5 weeks, I have (after much to-ing and fro-ing) decided on footwear, raingear, guidebook or app (both). I have been planning this for 3 years and am over ready. I live in a very walkable city (Victoria BC) and do not own a car so I already walk everywhere. Now I walk with my pack on.
I fly into Seville on April 1st (after a weekend in England), have booked 2 nights at Hostal Pension Vergara. On April 3rd I will finally start out on the 1st leg. I am looking forward to exploring Italica that day.
I look forward to meeting others on the way.
Debbie

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sounds like you are more of a May Fool then, no? 😁. You’re training and planning will no doubt pay off. It’s especially good that you have a few days prior to walking to overcome jet lag. Buen Camino!

Hello forum,
I am a camino virgin, starting with the Via de la Plata. As I leave in 4.5 weeks, I have (after much to-ing and fro-ing) decided on footwear, raingear, guidebook or app (both). I have been planning this for 3 years and am over ready. I live in a very walkable city (Victoria BC) and do not own a car so I already walk everywhere. Now I walk with my pack on.
I fly into Seville on May 1st (after a weekend in England), have booked 2 nights at Hostal Pension Vergara. On May 3rd I will finally start out on the 1st leg. I am looking forward to exploring Italica that day.
Debbie
Hi Debbie,
Welcome to the forum! I am very impressed you have chosen the Via de la Plata for your very first Camino! I have walked four various caminos and my fifth is coming up this Spring and I still don't feel ready to tackle the VdlP!
Way to go! I'm sure you will be fine with all the research you have done.
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello forum,
I fly into Seville on May 1st (after a weekend in England), have booked 2 nights at Hostal Pension Vergara. On May 3rd I will finally start out on the 1st leg. I am looking forward to exploring Italica that day.
Debbie
Well done Debbie! You made me laugh, saying ‘now I walk with my pack on’ :D
I did too prior to my first Camino and I did get some funny looks!
Have a lovely time on the VdlP.:)

Living in South Florida, when I walk with a dummy weight loaded rucksack in the month before leaving for Spain each year, I sometimes get questioned by the local Sheriff's deputies... I suppose I look like an itinerant person...

Anyway, it is never a problem. Except that, as soon as I explain what I am doing and why, the officer invariably starts asking newbie questions.

The conversation shifts promptly from "where are you going and why," to "cool, I would love to do something like this..." Then I go into salesperson mode. My walk is ruined, in that my pace and meter has been disturbed. But, as I am always happy to spread the word, it is all good...

Sounds like you are more of a May Fool then, no? 😁. You’re training and planning will no doubt pay off. It’s especially good that you have a few days prior to walking to overcome jet lag. Buen Camino!
I can't believe I did that! I am actually leaving April 1st. I corrected my post. sheesh

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Living in South Florida, when I walk with a dummy weight loaded rucksack in the month before leaving for Spain each year, I sometimes get questioned by the local Sheriff's deputies... I suppose I look like an itinerant person...

Anyway, it is never a problem. Except that, as soon as I explain what I am doing and why, the officer invariably starts asking newbie questions.

The conversation shifts promptly from "where are you going and why," to "cool, I would love to do something like this..." Then I go into salesperson mode. My walk is ruined, in that my pace and meter has been disturbed. But, as I am always happy to spread the word, it is all good...
I have been amazed at how many folks do not ask me why I am carrying a pack.

April 1 ... right after Brexit?
Hopefully all Airlines will have their operations negotiated and secured. I am flying April 3, avoiding a connection via the UK which would have been the cheapest for me, but still the flight I chose is EASY JET (had to correct this, wrote Ryanair by mistake first) , based in the UK.So I guess we best keep our fingers crossed ;)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
April 1 ... right after Brexit?
Hopefully all Airlines will have their operations negotiated and secured. I am flying April 3, avoiding a connection via the UK which would have been the cheapest for me, but still the flight I chose is Ryanair, based in the UK.So I guess we best keep our fingers crossed ;)
Ryanair is an Irish based company and Ireland is, very sensibly, staying in the EU 🇮🇪 + 🇪🇺

Easy Jet is IMHO the better airline. I think you'll find they have set up a registered office in Austria to by pass Brexit woes. Fingers crossed (for us all).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi vicquilterv, welcome to the Forum. I hope you have a wonderful VdlP, I have not walked the VdlP but hope to do it some day!
All the best to you and buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.