• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrived...2 days left over...and then what to do? #advice

MarcelWals

Walking a Camino = a way of living...
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances,Portugues,Finisterre-Muxia,Ingles,Primitiv
Hi ,

I need some help and advice from you. As it looks like I will be arriving in Santiago and still have 1 or 2 days left over before I will take the bus to Porto for my flight back home to Amsterdam. Even it's a beatifull place, and the feeling of arriving in Santiago is unbelievable, I know the place allready and I don have the feeling to stay in Santiago. It feels like waiting to go home. So can you help me? Can you give me some advice where to go (by bus, walking or taxi) for these says? I will take a look at all advices and will decide 'at the moment' when I'm there. Just like my whole Camino...no plans in front. Thank you all for the advices you will give me.Preciate.

Marcel

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Marcel,

A day or two isn't so long. With that in mind I think my best advice would be to jump on a bus to Finisterre and stay the night with a trip up to the lighthouse to see the sunset.

Whatever you choose, hope you enjoy it.

Rob.

Thanks Rob for the advice. I agree...2 days isn't that long. But I will stretch my Camino a bit, you know :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Kanga, enough choices which makes it more difficult :) But good to know. I will make my decision'at the moment'

Last edited:
@MarcelWals if Porto wins, worth visiting is the Palacio da Bolsa - here's what TripAdvisor has to say. Also the Livravia Lello Bookshop - said to have inspired many scenes in Harry Potter. You have to pay to get in, but get the price deducted from any books you buy. But the things I loved best about Porto was the lively scene - down on the water, fantastic sea food, and the dancing that everyone joined in, it took place in the evenings just outside one of the cafes.

When I reached Santiago I didn't feel like staying there at all. I got my credential stright away, then got on the bus to Finisterre, stayed overnight there, then walked all the way from there to Muxia, it's 30rm only. Could be done in a day but we didn't want to hurry and stayed overnight in Lires, just in between the two of them, there is an albergue there. The most breathtaking beauty, all the cliffs and the beaches to yourself. I had a feeling of completeness there, that the way was finally over, not in Fisterra or later in Muxia, but in Lires. Muxia was nice as well later. The most esthetically pleasing views there, if you decide to walk between Fisterra and Muxia.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@MarcelWals if Porto wins, worth visiting is the Palacio da Bolsa - here's what TripAdvisor has to say. Also the Livravia Lello Bookshop - said to have inspired many scenes in Harry Potter. You have to pay to get in, but get the price deducted from any books you buy. But the things I loved best about Porto was the lively scene - down on the water, fantastic sea food, and the dancing that everyone joined in, it took place in the evenings just outside one of the cafes.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I have to disagree with Kanga's usually fantastic advice.

Unless you're a massive Harry Potter fan, maybe even if you are, I wouldn't bother with Livravia Lello. It is a beautiful building but in no way worth the time and hassle queuing to get into a place so jam packed with other people that you can't appreciate it. Maybe it's less busy at this time of year but there are so many awesome things to see and do in Porto it would be low on my list.

Last edited:
Hi ,

I need some help and advice from you. As it looks like I will be arriving in Santiago and still have 1 or 2 days left over before I will take the bus to Porto for my flight back home to Amsterdam. Even it's a beatifull place, and the feeling of arriving in Santiago is unbelievable, I know the place allready and I don have the feeling to stay in Santiago. It feels like waiting to go home. So can you help me? Can you give me some advice where to go (by bus, walking or taxi) for these says? I will take a look at all advices and will decide 'at the moment' when I'm there. Just like my whole Camino...no plans in front. Thank you all for the advices you will give me.Preciate.

Marcel

To plan it again, I would repeat the end if my Camino:
Muxia e50 day tour and at least a day with a couple pitchers of sangria in the square to greet and enjoy the pilgrims you met along the way.

With only two days I would see Santiago...trade Camino stories with other Pilgrims and see the sights...having said that when I first arrived in Santiago I could not take all of the noise and confusion after my Camino...so I left Santiago the next morning for Finisterre and Muxia...and I returned to Santiago when I felt like I had accomplished what I started.

I like the dance part :) thank you

That's also a good one! Thank you for that. I have the same feeling....not to stay in Santiago. I've seen that before and know what to expect

Felt the same...and I know it: 2 days are too less...;)

Get your credential, walk around Santiago a bit, go to the bus station and on to Finisterre for a day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
... 1 or 2 days left over ...
... I don have the feeling to stay in Santiago ...
... Can you give me some advice where to go ...

Train to A Coruña for a day or overnight? Visit the Torre de Hercules & etc. when there?

Thank you for your advice.

Thanks. Probably I will be in Santiago about 20,21 April.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi ,

Marcel
Go to the lighthouse in Finisterre or the seafront in Muxia where the sea rolls in in impressive curls.

Take the bus to Finisterre to see the lighthouse (leave something that you carried behind) or go to Muxia (where the sea rolls in with impressive curls!), the end point in the movie The Way, which planted the seed for this peregrino to do the Frances in '17!

Marcel. Ga als een speer terug naar Porto loop ofer de Luis I brug-gebouwd door Ferdinand Eiffel naar de andere kant van de Douro rivier, Vila Nova de Gaia en ga naar portwijn huis Cruz, neem de lift naar boven en drink op het dakterras een glas port, kijk over de rivier en de stad en flash back op je net gelopen camino. Ik doe het iedere keer weer en kan niet wachten tot ik er volgende maand weer ben
Groeten uit Rotterdam

Marcel ,return as soon as you can back to Porto. Walk over the ponte Luis I bridge to Vila Nova de Gaia where all the famous portwine houses are .
Go to the port wine house Cruz, take the lift to the terrace on the roof and drink a
Good glass of port , overlook the river and the town and flash back your just ended caminho.
I am doing this always and can't wait till I will be there next month
Best regards from Rotterdam

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Het lijkt er bijna op dat dit het moet zijn he? Klinkt allemaal goed en zeer aannemelijk. Ik hou het in gedachten. Dank voor je antwoord. Wanneer ben jij daar? Ik zo rond 22,23 April.

ik looks like this is it,right? Sounds very ok to me. I will keep it in mind. Thanks for the answer. When are you around Porto? I will be there around 22,23 April

Het lijkt er bijna op dat dit het moet zijn he? Klinkt allemaal goed en zeer aannemelijk. Ik hou het in gedachten. Dank voor je antwoord. Wanneer ben jij daar? Ik zo rond 22,23 April.

ik looks like this is it,right? Sounds very ok to me. I will keep it in mind. Thanks for the answer. When are you around Porto? I will be there around 22,23 April
I will start on April 17th in Porto ,follow the coastal up to Viana do Castelo but then change to the central route where you will find us on 22nd ,23rd and 25th at albergue Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piäes (between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. We regulairy stay there to give a hand as hospitaleiro...will be back there in september too.
25th we return to Viana do Castelo and walk along the coastal as far as Valença do Minho. From there we return to Porto and fly back home on April 30th.

If you walk along the coastal and on April 25th you still are in Portugal, keep in mind that the 25th is a national holiday and it will be busy at the coast so try to reserve a place in advance.
Bom caminho

Hi ,

Marcel

Go to Porto right away. Lots to see there! Good food. Tour Port wine bottlers. Go to The Livraria with the magnificent staircase. Etc!!

Hi ,

Marcel
Take the train to A Coruña ir Vigo for a day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Cathedral rooftop tour
Museu de Pobo Gallego (wonderful FREE folk museum)
Open market
Hire a taxi to Finisterre and Muxia for the day - share the fare with other pilgrims (€100-120)
Pilgrim Museum
Walk the streets and window shop
Go outside the tourist area and have dinner
See the botafumero swing
Visit the OTHER churches in Santiago - lots of great art

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some of them I did see/do. Some are new. Thank you for the advices.

Hi ,

Marcel
I second the Finnesterre, notion, but for an alternative Lugo(on the Primativo) is nice. Killer Cathedral, lots of street life, it doesn't look like much at first glance but once inside the old part of town; it's a charmer. The albergue about 1.5 mm from center of town -a private, is very nice with homemade baked goods at breakfast!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back