• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Grabbing lunch while walking Tui to Santiago

RussGianni

Time of past OR future Camino
April2024
My final question since I have asked sooo many.
Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking.
Not really interested in sitting in a cafe or restaurant. Perhaps a sandwich, a water and a piece of fruit.
Is this doable to find places like this on my route? I guess I’m asking about carry out food.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are quite a few bodegas and small shops along the way. It should not be a problem to buy a piece of fruit, some bread, cheese or jamon.

Great! I be prepared to have cash when I do this. I’m also curious about where I can sit down ? I’m mostly concerned with my O Porriño to Redondela portion. Tried to get a feel for this portion with google maps aerials . It seems very rural, maybe on paths through wooded areas? Is this correct?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@RussGianni, I regularly saw other pilgrims ordering a take-away bocadillo at the first tienda or bar. While I don't do that, I have sometimes been provided with a bocadillo so large that I have asked for half of it to be wrapped so that I can take it with me. Of course, one could ask for other things to be wrapped, it doesn't need to be a bocadillo.

I prefer to have a coffee when I take a break, so I was never looking for somewhere to sit and eat other than where I was getting my coffee, but my observation is that you are more likely to find somewhere to do that in villages and towns where there are more likely to be public seats alongside the road or in the parks.

I used a card most of the time. It was rare to need cash at a tienda, cafe or bar.

Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking.
Not really interested in sitting in a cafe or restaurant. Perhaps a sandwich, a water and a piece of fruit.
Is this doable to find places like this on my route? I guess I’m asking about carry out food.
As everyone has said you will have no problem finding a bar to buy a bocadillo or a shop to buy some cheese and crackers etc. You can also go to a grocery store the night before and make a sandwich and buy a few little snacks. As for where to sit. You can usually find a tree, a stone wall, patch of grass or just sit on your backpack. I have done this on many, many occasions over the years. Walking less traveled caminos it almost becomes a necessity. There is almost always a place to sit where the church in a village is. As @Flog said, don't overthink it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not sure if your plans later in the day include dinner but bear in mind that restaurants in Spain open fairly late for dinner, around 8-8:30. Many pilgrims choose to make lunch their main meal of the day. The menu del dia is usually a good deal.

Sure, you can always find a place to sit down and eat your lunch, but I think you should consider having lunch where you buy it. It usually just takes a few minutes, and it is a chance to meet locals as well as other peregrinos. Not to mention that the cafe will have a restroom--an important consideration on the trail.

Relax, the Camino provides in abundance!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great! I be prepared to have cash when I do this. I’m also curious about where I can sit down ? I’m mostly concerned with my O Porriño to Redondela portion. Tried to get a feel for this portion with google maps aerials . It seems very rural, maybe on paths through wooded areas? Is this correct?

Locals sit on local benches.
Pilgrims are allowed to do the same.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back