• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving SJPDP Weds 17th September...!

oudduo

Hello all

Well, the flights and first night accommodation are booked! I'm flying from London to Biarritz on Weds, finding my way to SJPdP then starting the walk proper the following morning. I'm staying at the Gite Ultreia btw.

I'm not quite a complete Camino virgin - I did Léon to SdC with a group a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it a lot but couldn't help thinking that I'd like to come back another time as a raw pilgrim, rather than one insulated by a group...

I'm flying back from Santander on the 30th, giving me 12 full days. I've got a vague plan of how far I could get, but as I have a tendency to pack too heavy, get up too late and walk too far, it's going to be interesting to see how my Camino actually unfolds when I'm left to do my own thing... :)

Hope to see some of you folks along 'the way'.

Martin

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all

Well, the flights and first night accommodation are booked! I'm flying from London to Biarritz on Weds, finding my way to SJPdP then starting the walk proper the following morning. I'm staying at the Gite Ultreia btw.

I'm not quite a complete Camino virgin - I did Léon to SdC with a group a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it a lot but couldn't help thinking that I'd like to come back another time as a raw pilgrim, rather than one insulated by a group...

I'm flying back from Santander on the 30th, giving me 12 full days. I've got a vague plan of how far I could get, but as I have a tendency to pack too heavy, get up too late and walk too far, it's going to be interesting to see how my Camino actually unfolds when I'm left to do my own thing... :)

Martin
Martin, welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2014.
Since you haven't departed yet, and there's always time to "repack", allow me to suggest that many folks find the Camino life changing, while others just break a few bad habits.
May I suggest: Unpack your bad habit and repack the heavy pack. Remove anything you said to yourself, "I MIGHT need this!"
Repack.
The night before you depart (you probably won't sleep in any case) Unpack and really, really remove those "might need" items.
You are not going into the outback...Spain is civilized and abounds with shops, bars, pharmacies, bars, restaurants, oh, did I mention bars;).
Buen "I'm feeling lighter already" Camino,
Arn

Nothing wrong with getting up too late and walking too far, but no need to pack too heavy, especially on a twelve day Camino. Definitely re-evaluate the gear you are hauling. Ditto to what Arn said. It's not the outback.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nothing wrong with getting up too late and walking too far, but no need to pack too heavy, especially on a twelve day Camino. Definitely re-evaluate the gear you are hauling. Ditto to what Arn said. It's not the outback.
Hola,
Now in Logrono. Has been pretty warm n sunny since Roncevalles. Don't pack too much.
Slept in shorts n tee shirt the last 3 days, didn't use my sleeping bag.

Hello all

Martin
Hello Martin,
My buddy and I are arriving in SJPdP on the same day. We're planning on resting for a day before heading out on Sept 19th. We're staying at the Pyrenees on the evening of the 17th, the Beilari Alterpea on the 18th. See you on the trail, I'm sure. Dave

Thanks for the replies folks!

Yes, I'm trying to travel light, honest! I've cut the weight and bulk down; I just need to choose which of the following to leave behind:

Jeans (to walk in)
Jeans (fancy, for going out in)
Lightweight Rab Gore-Tex jacket.

I'm thinking I'll leave the jacket... ;)

But seriously, I am focused on keeping the weight down - the temptation to chuck something else in is ever-present though since my backpack is quite large (but fits me perfectly so I'm taking it!).

Jason, thanks for the weather info, that's useful to know.

Dave, good to hear from you! My plan is to start walking on the 18th but I might take a rest day like yourself, I'll see how I'm feeling. Are you taking the Stansted - Biarritz flight on the 17th too?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just need to choose which of the following to leave behind:

Jeans (to walk in)
Jeans (fancy, for going out in)
Lightweight Rab Gore-Tex jacket.
The jeans are heavy, hot, and do not dry when wet. I suggest leaving them! Take the jacket if it does not duplicate something else you are taking.

Buen camino.

Now in Santo Domingo now, still warm n sunny. Got some breeze ahead during the walk. Still need to sleep in shorts n tee. Walked in shorts first thing in morning; not cold. Strong sun helps the laundry a lot.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back