• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Astorga to Fisterra in May?

warnerjd

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Spring 2020)
Hi,
I will be walking the Camino from May 7 to May 24 with my wife and son (18) and had originally been planning to walk from Astorga to Santiago and then on to Fisterra. I’m really just looking for input regarding this route as it pertains to the weather during May. While I’m fine to walk in the rain to some degree I’m also open to considering other routes that may have more favorable weather for this particular time of year. I know from what I’ve already read that there tends to be more rain in the spring months in Northern Spain. I feel a tension between wanting to follow the more traditional route of the Camino since I haven’t walked it before but also a little concerned about the prospect of walking 300km in the rain. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Jeff

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
HI Jeff and welcome to the Forum!
Every year is different - sometimes May can be really rainy, but sometimes it can rain on-and-off or be sunny. One never knows and it's hard to predict, especially closer to the coast.

Usually September and October are beautiful months to walk, but this past year it started raining in Galicia on Sept 17 and didn't really stop until January!

If you really want to walk the Camino Frances (a great choice, by the way, especially for your first time) I'd say don't worry too much about the weather but be prepared for rain so it doesn't throw you for a loop when it does come. Since you'll be on the trail for 14 days it's unlikely it will rain hard every single day, and even if it does rain sometimes, you'll still have a significant experience. If you check the weather before you come you'll have a good idea of what the first few days will be like and you can emotionally prepare for that, then take it as it comes as the days go on.

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
On my first Camino, we had rain almost every day for the middle three weeks. Until we figured out how to get everything dry overnight, it was pretty miserable being up with the sun to put on wet shoes and strap on a wet pack, and walk out into the rain. One of the group was from Oklahoma, including the accent, and would stand out in the rain as everyone else grimaced at conditions from the doorway. "yer not mada sugar, yer not gonna melt!" he would bellow. He was right. Nobody dissolved.

On my second Camino, after three days of torrential rain leaving St. Jean, the sun came out.....and stayed out. I walked the entire distance to Finisterre in pale spring sunshine, mostly in shorts and a T-Shirt. We left in mid April both times. I cannot say which of the two Caminos I enjoyed more.

Bottom line is that in all likelihood, you WILL get rained on at some point. It will not matter which road you walk, you are taking a chance on the weather. Prepare by having a rain suit or poncho, and take it as it comes. Its a necessary part of the experience.

Buen Camino

Please change the song to " The rain in Spain stays mainly in - Galicia" !
Galicia is on an upgoing shelf from the Atlantic and will reap any humidity from moisture in clouds going upwards.
So it will be true all other routes as well.. I pssed through Ourense from the south going to SdC and it got moist , too...
the quickest thing is donning a poncho....

Honestly, predicting weather is about the same as predicting lottery numbers...not so great!
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Even a wet cool day on the Camino is still a better experience than most things in life.
Don't get stressed about potential weather. Whatever you get is just all part of the adventure. You just deal with it and keep walking.

No way to know what the weather will be like. Just bring the lightest, most packable rain gear you can and give it no more thought.

At least in May the rain will be warm - mostly ;-) As others have said: No chance to predict the weather so far in advance, bring light rain gear and be prepared for all, from lovely sunshine to thunderstorms ;-)
BC SY

I have walked that route 3 times in May. Mornings are low 40s afternoons are high 70s. I start the day with pant legs on and sleeves down. Shortly after the sun is up, the legs zip off and the sleeves are rolled up.
You will generate plenty of body heat hiking with a pack on.
It rained two or three days, a light misting rain that was easily defeated with a poncho or rain jacket. I prefer the poncho as I sweat heavily under a rain jacket. Also, with a rain jacket, the water runs down your back, soaking the back of your pack (not protected by a pack cover), and down your legs soaking your pants and filling your shoes/boots (makes a good washing machine for your socks and a soothing sloshing sound).
I’ve also had two occasions for all day downpours. You can keep calm and carry on, or sit it out in a cafe or hotel. Telling the story of how you had a hot bath and Sangria is not as awesome as the one about how some ducks a geese took refuge under your poncho as you pulled yourself up the hill by your fingernails against the gale and driving rain.
My wife loved her poncho and thoroughly enjoyed hiking in the rainy forests and glistening streets. All part of the experience...

Hi,
I will be walking the Camino from May 7 to May 24 with my wife and son (18) and had originally been planning to walk from Astorga to Santiago and then on to Fisterra. I’m really just looking for input regarding this route as it pertains to the weather during May. While I’m fine to walk in the rain to some degree I’m also open to considering other routes that may have more favorable weather for this particular time of year. I know from what I’ve already read that there tends to be more rain in the spring months in Northern Spain. I feel a tension between wanting to follow the more traditional route of the Camino since I haven’t walked it before but also a little concerned about the prospect of walking 300km in the rain. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Jeff
Like California....the rain stops May 1st.......or there about. Galicia can be rainy anytime.

Astorga is a great place to start! Take the time to see the Gaudi Palace, the Cathedral, and go into the "pilgrim" store across the street from the Palace and get the 5 block walking directions to the best hot chocolate & churos cafe in Spain! Astorga is the famous capital of chocolate. Also, on way out of town, stop at modern looking church with mosaic wall.

Continuing rave re: Astorga. You don't drink the hot chocolate- it's too thick! You dip the churros into it and consume while smiling. In addition to the Mosaic covered church in town, there is a tiny ermitage built in the 1700's just as you get to the outskirts of town. Legend has it that a mom dropped her baby down a well at this site. She prayed, and the water level in the well rose so she could reach her floating baby. In thanks, she built the chapel here. (As told to me by a local while driving me back to the camino after I took a 30 minute wrong turn)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.