• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

August 13-16 Holidays in Spain

ParistoCapeCod

"Come on mom this 14k isn't going to walk itself."
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese, Primitivo, Norte. Hospitalera
Monday is a legal holiday and in some places Tuesday as well. Closures or delays should be expected.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tell me about it! Here in Santiago, we are eyeball deep in Spanish pilgrims from Sarria. There were more than 2,500 pilgrims on Friday AND Saturday. Sunday is looking huge too.

Everything except cafes and restaurants closed early on Saturday. Most retail places will not reopen until WEDNESDAY, 17 August. So much for economic concerns...

Living in Belgium for a few years, I have experienced "bridge holidays" but this is ridiculous. Fortunately we were warned, and laid in necessary provisions to see us through the nearly four-day hiatus. The cafes are open, and my favorite place has my pintas of Franzikaner Weissbier, so I am a "happy camper."

Many, MANY pilgrims of all European nationalities, are leveraging the Spanish national holiday on Monday (Catholic Feast of the Assumption of Mary into Heaven) AND the Tuesday Feast of San Roque, also a "bank holiday" in Galicia, to make their five-day stroll from Sarria with minimal charge to accrued personal or holiday time.

On one hand I understand this pattern. I would likely do the same.

On the other hand, LORD HAVE MERCY! The Pilgrim Office staff are working as hard as they can to process the pilgrims for Compostelas as fast as possible. It is incredible!

I do not know how they manage to stay focused day-after-day, year-after-year. I am here for one-month and after three weeks I am "whipped."

In the new Pilgrim Office, at Rua das Carretas 33, there are 13 positions "puestas" with networked computers, plus another three in the group office. They even pressed some seminarians and local Jesuits into "volunteer" duty to do Compostelas manually, with data entry occurring after the fact. I am told this is "old school," but it DOES work.

So, the Pilgrim Office is cranking on FIFTEEN processing positions for Compostelas, PLUS another three in the group office. This manages to keep the queue to less than an hour, at most times, and days. Still, without volunteers, they would not stand a prayer of a chance.

As an aside, if you want to give back, consider volunteering. You just go the the Cathedral of Santiago welcome page, in English, and drill down on the Pilgrim Offce. On their home page there is a "seeking volunteers" blurb and link. Just do it!

Exceptions occur when the morning surge to make the noon Pilgrim Mass hits at about 11:00, and again at about 13:15, when the Cathedral "flush" occurs. It is much like toilet use at half-time in a football match. At these times, the queue regularly peaks at about two-hours.

It is amazing to see a wall of pilgrims surging down Rua das Carretas towards the office, shortly after the noon Mass lets out. But it occurs, to varying degrees, everyday.

I hope this helps.

Bless all their hurting hands after writing Compostelas (and other certificates) for hours on end! Buen Camino and please be gentle with those volunteers (or even bring them a little surprise gift!)! SY

Most read last week in this forum

When I go to the pilgrim office website at the moment I am receiving a warning about the website's security certificates. Same on both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers. And if I disregard...
The Santiago pilgrim office issued 3,171 Compostelas today. The second time so far this year when the total has been over 3,000. The first was on Good Friday when 3,193 Compostelas were handed out.
Hi, I’ve got 3 1/2 days in Santiago at the end of my camino, and I’m thinking to go to Vigo to watch the football on the 15th. It is a 10 pm kick-off, so I am wondering if it is likely to get any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back