• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BBC "Pilgrimage" series 6 - North Wales Pilgrim Way

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
With "The Way" debates fresh on my mind, and although I have not yet taken a look at this link, I will say that "seven celebrities" walking the Camino at the same time sounds like a very unrealistic Camino family to me. That said, I am sure I may find this series entertaining if available in the US.

With "The Way" debates fresh on my mind, and although I have not yet taken a look at this link, I will say that "seven celebrities" walking the Camino at the same time sounds like a very unrealistic Camino family to me.
A similar thought occurred to me, Chrissy. Not exactly a group of people coming together 'organically'. It may be 'reality' rather than fiction but, if faced with the choice, I think I'd opt to rewatch The Way. 😉

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In these series "celebrities" is a very generous term. I am a Brit. Not very plugged into popular culture though. I recognised only two of the seven names. Fans of UK reality TV might know more of them. I have watched all the previous series. They are quite formulaic. An artificially created assortment of religious beliefs or none. Usually at least one participant who irritated me hugely and invites the heaving of a bottle at the screen! On the plus side some of the participants have been genuinely interesting characters with intriguing back stories. The landscape photography is usually beautifully done. And it is always fun to spot familiar places. I would say that each of the earlier series has been a curate's egg in one way or another but with enough of interest to make viewing it once a worthwhile exercise. If it turns out particularly dire then I will consider it a Lenten penance... :)

A BBC press release about the latest of the occasional BBC "Pilgrimage" series. This time 3 programmes following a group of celebrities on a journey across north Wales to Bardsey. With a fair bit of deviation from the direct route!
https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2024/pilgrimage-north-wales
Thanks for alerting us to this upcoming BBC program. I guess that they will broadcast the last episode on Good Friday, as usual.

FWIW, the only participant that I recognised immediately is Tim Rosenthal from Friday Night Dinner which often had me in giggles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Bradypus: So it is Wales this time, is it? :cool:

What was it in previous years? Spain, Italy, Balkan countries, Ireland and Scotland, wasn't?
Sounds about right. One series went through Portugal to Fatima too. I think their budget may have been cut. :) I have walked the North Wales Pilgrim's Way in the opposite direction - starting with a visit to Bardsey and finishing up in Holywell. My navigation must be better because my route didn't take me over Snowdon/ Yr Wyddfa though.... :)

In these series "celebrities" is a very generous term. I am a Brit. Not very plugged into popular culture though. I recognised only two of the seven names. Fans of UK reality TV might know more of them. I have watched all the previous series. They are quite formulaic. An artificially created assortment of religious beliefs or none. Usually at least one participant who irritated me hugely and invites the heaving of a bottle at the screen! On the plus side some of the participants have been genuinely interesting characters with intriguing back stories. The landscape photography is usually beautifully done. And it is always fun to spot familiar places. I would say that each of the earlier series has been a curate's egg in one way or another but with enough of interest to make viewing it once a worthwhile exercise. If it turns out particularly dire then I will consider it a Lenten penance... :)
Agreed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I only recognised one too, and I'm also a Brit.
I watched the previous series too, and enjoyed them very much.
Whether its a pilgrimage, spiritual trip or just a really good walk, its been designed for entertainment as well as possible enlightenment.
Not to be confused with what the majority(?) of us do on this forum, but still good fun to watch.

Not to be confused with what the majority(?) of us do on this forum, but still good fun to watch.
The first series filmed on the Camino Frances attracted quite a bit of criticism for being misleading about the amount of walking actually done and scenes filmed in albergues where the celebs did not actually stay. Later series have been much more transparent about the mix of walking and transport and the selectivity of the parts of the route being shown.

The first series filmed on the Camino Frances attracted quite a bit of criticism for being misleading about the amount of walking actually done and scenes filmed in albergues where the celebs did not actually stay. Later series have been much more transparent about the mix of walking and transport and the selectivity of the parts of the route being shown.
It sounds to me like it has far more inaccuracies than "The Way", yet some of the purists among us seem to follow the series, so why give "The Way" so much flack...just sayin'.🙄

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first series filmed on the Camino Frances attracted quite a bit of criticism for being misleading about the amount of walking actually done and scenes filmed in albergues where the celebs did not actually stay.
I remember it well 😇.

The series got criticised on the forum before anyone had seen it. The word "celebrities" caused reactions like the proverbial red rag to a bull. Yet anybody who would have bothered to inform themselves on what the BBC had communicated about it would have known that an essential part of this BBC series are what they call interfaith dialogue - hence the selected participants who are usually a mix of Catholics or other Christians, Jews, Muslim, atheists and similar, whether lapsed or practising.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It sounds to me like it has far more inaccuracies than "The Way", yet some of the purists among us seem to follow the series, so why give "The Way" so much flack...just sayin'.🙄
Because in someone's opinion the movie deserves it? As do elements of the various BBC series. Neither the BBC series or that movie or someone's favourite guidebook are sacred texts and beyond any ordinary criticism. They are commercial products and legitimate subjects for individual expressions of personal opinion and taste.

Last edited:
hence the selected participants who are usually a mix of Catholics or other Christians, Jews, Muslim, atheists and similar, whether lapsed or practising.
I went through this year's list of participants and their religious backgrounds as published in the Radio Times.

They are: Christened Church of England; Spiritual but doesn't practise a particular faith; places faith in the natural world; Catholic; Lapsed Muslim; Raised in a Jain household; and Aregligious.

I had to look up Jainism.

So many things that I don't know ... 🫣.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Less than 85 miles over 14 days but they will still be taking buses etc. Hardly challenging. Yes, I know they are going slightly out of their way but they will be transported to "climb" Snowdon. As for the "pilgrimage", it was only created in 2011, as for the "celebrities, I am a Brit and I am asking "who" for a few of the seven

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just saw an article on a Welsh news website about the new series. A comment from one of the participants did raise my eyebrows a little. But as one of the great 20th century poets observed two out of three ain't bad... :cool:

"The celebrities shared their reasons for deciding to join this pilgrimage, with Spencer Matthews saying: “A pilgrimage is when you walk and sleep on church floors and eat dead rats and stuff, which I’m looking forward to.

“I’d be pretty low in the faith knowledge bracket, but I’m on a quest to broaden my knowledge and religious horizons."

I have just read a review in an English publication but unfortunately (who knows?) I cannot copy and paste, but it reminded me to set the tv recording device to record because it will be a while after Easter before I can catch the first and second episodes.
The attached is the best I can do to quote. Anyone who is interested, I would say it would be more worthwhile than the weather forecast...😈
IMG_5513.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I watched the first episode last night. It was interesting to see how any preconceptions about the "walk" quickly disappeared. Its great to see them opening up to each other and I liked hearing their opinions. Not unlike an albergue conversation........

@David with new Kit! I watched all three episodes last night as a binge session. I had the same thought about albergue conversations even though the process of filming obviously involves some artificiality. Overall I found this series and its participants more enjoyable than some of the previous ones. Chatting online with a pilgrim friend this morning his comment was "This programme seems to have matured". I felt the same. Of course spotting familiar places along a route I have walked myself in the opposite direction added to the fun.

Thanks @Bradypus for this thread. I’ve watched every one of the previous series and loved them all - they all had their own magic. I hope Lee Ingleby is doing the narration again - he’s done a fine job with each of the previous series.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I failed, but am watching a guy on his pilgrimage. A pilgrimage is a pilgrimage, and the sun is shining! 😇

I will try harder to record before I head off to Rome tomorrow. Not on a pilgrimage, exactly... but certainly a privilege.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I failed, but am watching a guy on his pilgrimage. A pilgrimage is a pilgrimage, and the sun is shining! 😇

I will try harder to record before I head off to Rome tomorrow. Not on a pilgrimage, exactly... but certainly a privilege.
Have a wonderful time in Rome, Kirkie.

Best wishes from Oz -
Jenny

I went through this year's list of participants and their religious backgrounds as published in the Radio Times.

They are: Christened Church of England; Spiritual but doesn't practise a particular faith; places faith in the natural world; Catholic; Lapsed Muslim; Raised in a Jain household; and Aregligious.

I had to look up Jainism.

So many things that I don't know ... 🫣.
I love these self categorisations. Now all the Beeb need to track down is a lapsed atheist, a couple of animists and a committed unbeliever…

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.