• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginning to lose heart.

Striderc8

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
12 years ago I promised myself to walk El Camino and over the years I have made many excuses not to go. Too scared I suppose. This year, since deciding to bite the bullet, my excitement has grown and I have loved planning my pilgrimage. Now, with just 3 weeks to go, I am losing heart. I know some of it is the anxious feeling many people feel but the weather reports mean that I probably won't be able to start from St Jean or Roncesvalles; that I will have to walk along busy roads in poor conditions; I will have to carry more stuff - hi viz etc. I am so grateful to the forum members for their up to the minute reports, they are invaluable but I confess I am on the verge of giving up my dream and not going. Is this my first test? :( Thank God for this forum, it would be a lonely prospect without it.

I am praying for all those pilgrims currently walking and hoping for dryer weather for all.
Cate

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A lot can happen with the weather in 3 weeks ! Maybe we will have a heat wave by then :)
At least you don't have unrealistic expectations about your walk, and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised when you actually start.
Buen camino to you, Helen .

Don't despair. This is normal last minute jitters and I'm sure we've all had them, I know I had. Once you take the first few steps all will be ok. Forget the weather, that will change regularly. Don't give up.
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too think it is a test.

And it's funny how different we see things. I was glad when I (here on this forum) found out one had to wear a vest on the road. It cost nothing and its 100 gram. I'm thinking that it may turn out be the most important thing in my pack, who knows? It may save my life.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Striderc8 said:
Thank God for this forum, it would be a lonely prospect without it.

Indeed this forum offers an invaluable wealth of information. However that can be a double-edged sword. Just about every conceivable difficulty and obstacle anyone has ever encountered is described here. It's not likely that they will all befall any one individual on their Camino. We all have different tolerance levels to pain, discomfort, uncertainty, etc. Persons of all different ages, fitness levels, travel experiences participate in this forum. Situations that one person may find a hindrance to another may be an enjoyable challenge.

And believe or not, some people just like to complain. As you can see, overriding all of that are the positive experiences that overwhelm those on this forum who have walked any part of the Camino. Rare is the person who comes to regret their decision to partake in the Camino experience.

All in all, yes, this forum is a wonderful resource. Don't let it be crippling by becoming excessively concerned about circumstances and experiences that may likely never apply to you. As the old Nike slogan says: "Just do it".

Buen Camino.

Hi Cate - It is understandable that you are nervous. The morning I woke up to leave for my first Camino, the moment I got up out of bed my heart immediately started racing. Today, eight months after my return home, I still miss it every day, and I long and plan for my next trip back.

This is your time to go. Forget the weather. It is beyond your control. Every day will bring challenges, and every day will bring blessings. Whichever you decide to look for, you will find.

One of my many favorite memories was when a new Camino friend and I huddled with others under a tree in Galicia waiting for a storm to pass. Or the day it was so hot and I found myself with an empty water bottle. A fellow pilgrim/stranger gave me his.

Buen Camino to you, Cate. - Monica :arrow:

I hope no one has more enthusiasm for the camino than I, but I would be quite content to be number 10 on that list in this Forum of helpful pilgrims. Unfortunately, I have seen quite a few caminos dashed on the rocky shore of expectations. If you are too pumped up, the least disappointment can seem unbearable. I have heard of pilgrims being very discouraged when they could only make it to Orisson instead of Roncesvalles; it was just too hard for them. They hated themselves for feeling like a failure. Several did not experience the comraderie as they had envisioned it (or as in "The Way"). If you have built the camino in your mind into something that it is not, you may not find the resources along the way to keep you going.

It is hard. It's primary reward is discovering that you can do it. It's mysticism, if there is any, comes from within, not from a starting point, the weather, other pilgrims, or the night sky.

Honestly, if weather, crowds, and roads can ruin your experience, you need to find a time and a way that will keep that from happening. The roads won't go away, so you may not be able to solve that problem. However, the crowds and weather come an go. Pick a time when you can minimize the perceived negatives of them. March will be good for small crowds, but winter and spring weather can deliver weeks of rain, as they are doing now. If you cannot mentally prepare yourself for them, I would suggest waiting until September. The crowds will have crested, and the chance of bad weather is much less.

If you can avoid the high expectations that can lead to high disappointment, it will serve you well. You will need to mind a mental place where you do not feel badly about yourself if you walk short days, take a bus or taxi, or make all the small accommodations that will be required of you. The camino will control and shape you, not the other way around. It is very primal in making you accept what is offered.

Whatever you decide, have a buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi cate
it would be strange if you weren't having second thoughts-I've walked on the Camino's every year since 2009 sometimes twice a year and I still get doubts,its a big thing we do. but please don't get put off by all the bad news thats being posted.
the road out of SJPdP is not a busy road-the Napoleon route is 3/4 tarmac-I have hardly ever seen people in high viz jackets and I have never seen any locals anywhere in Spain walking round at dawn or dusk in them either,the idea is just laughable.
Yes some of the Camino will fail to live up to your expectations and some will exceed them.
yes you are being tested and will continue to be so but your not on your own, nor will you be in SJPdP
So why not come and join the rest of the self-doubters including myself I also walk from SJPdP in 3 weeks time (4th April)
I will be the one not in a high viz jacket :)
Ian

Stop worrying! The Camino is really fun. Even the awful parts (especially the awful parts?) are looked back at fondly. The difficult pieces make the good segments all the more glorious. Just go without rigid plans and preconceived notions, and roll with it.

All the veteran posters here have had their hard times, and loved the overall experience. You will too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Even though I have walked the Camino several different times, I still get nervous when I am leaving. For me, it takes a few days to get rid of the worry....will I make it?, did I buy the right boots?, will there be beds at the albergue?, did I leave something undone at home?....

But after a few days, I find my rhythm and everything seems to even out. I always have to re-learn to trust the Camino, my fellow pilgrims and all the kind people along the way.

Will there be difficult times? Yes, there will be but you'll figure it out. Rainy days just make you appreciate sunny days even more.

Buen Camino,

Jeff

Hello Cate:

Your post struck a chord with me for two reasons:

1. Like you, I am scheduled to take my first step from Saint Jean Pied de Port in about three weeks (three weeks from tomorrow, to be precise)

2. Also like you, I have been worrying about my ability to do this. In my case, I carry far too much weight on me, and my efforts to lose it in the last few months have been unsuccessful.

I am not sure I have any great wisdom to impart here, I just wanted to say that you are not alone in having doubts. But come April 2nd, I will be there. And if takes me longer to reach Santiago than anyone who ever has walked it, so be it.

There are always going to be reasons not to do something. From what I have read, the high road to Roncesvalles can be closed even in July. One thing I have learned in past year is that we have very little control about things that happen in our lives. I suspect the camino will be the same. That is not a reason not to do it.

Don't give up.

Glen

falcon269 said:
Thank you Falcon for these past posts - they make fascinating reading, and in particular, the compassion and understanding many veteran posters, yourself included, have shown to those who have been in distress.

I believe that anyone who walks the camino is remarkable. Even if they don't complete it, or they only do some stages.

Let's not forget that most people sit at home and watch football or sitcoms on tv, and would never think of getting out in rain and sometimes snow or 35C heat, with a backpack in excess of 8-10kgs, and walk across a foreign country, up and down mountains, sleeping in circumstances that are way outside their norm, using communal showers and toilet facilities, eating strange food, possibly not understanding the language, getting blisters and pain in muscles and joints, yet getting up before sunrise the next day and pushing on.

I'm about to do my first camino and I'm excited, but I'm also as nervous as hell. Nervous that I won't meet my greatest expectation, which is to finish.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
billbennettoz said:
I'm about to do my first camino and I'm excited, but I'm also as nervous as hell. Nervous that I won't meet my greatest expectation, which is to finish.

You have hit the nail on the head here. It's the great unknown, the greatest fear...
I think falcon picked some very apt posts to share. I think it's healthy to have questions and fears. The ones I saw who did not succeed were unlucky, yes, sometimes, but sometimes being arrogant and having unrealistic expectations leads to failure in completing the camino, but maybe gives important lessons when needed.
I hope you will let us know how it goes for you billbennettoz.

fortview said:
billbennettoz said:
I hope you will let us know how it goes for you billbennettoz.
:D - thanks fortview! I'm taking my iPad (630gms) and my charger (50gms) and my camera (630gms) so I damn well better use them!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have just read all your wonderful and encouraging posts and I am in tears...

I have spent the last couple of months 'worrying' about the practical things, what to take, where to sleep, what brand is best, what to eat etc. Now that I have a good idea about those things I am turning to my inner preparation which is much harder to manage, and yes, I suppose that does include what my expectations are from the Camino. Strangely I didn't think I had too many expectations as such, just to be able to complete it, but now I realise I was expecting some sunshine!

I find it difficult to share the Camino with my family and friends, no one really understands what it is or why I'm doing it and it is such a personal journey. I realise that fellow pilgrims are part of the journey and I am very much looking forward to sharing it with those of you also about to go. You will make my Camino special. You already have.

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I will set out at Easter as planned and maybe I'll just wait and see where it takes me.

Cate

Striderc8 said:
Thank you for your words of encouragement. I will set out at Easter as planned and maybe I'll just wait and see where it takes me.
Cate
Fantastic. I think you'll have the most amazing time, and you'll look back on this period of doubt and hesitation as being an important and integral part of your Camino. Good luck!

Striderc8 said:
12 years ago I promised myself to walk El Camino...I confess I am on the verge of giving up my dream and not going. Is this my first test? :(
Much of the fun is in the planning, and as one gets nearer the starting date a number of "what ifs" crop up and can spoil this fun. It is possible to soften such feelings if one can think of a "plan B". Nobody forces anyone to start the Camino Francés in SJPP (Annakappa and myself have refused to start there - that's another story :| ) nor are there specific rules as to how you are supposed to do the pilgrimage. Annakappa insisted to carry her backpack all the way, whereas I would have (secretly :oops: ) indulged. On our 5th Camino we were forced to send them off one day because the weather was just impossible. :roll:
On long stretches like from Roncesvalles to Santiago (the sign says 790 km?) you get all sorts of weather, terrain, company, accommodation, food and beverage, etc. conditions which you can plan for but which work out like Murphy's law: there's always something else needed. Ergo, one faces the situation and takes the most intelligent decision for that moment. The Camino provides: you'll be amazed :wink:
Have a good Camino; Ultreya! :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We flew in to Paris, took a bus to Leon and had planned to start there. Those last few hours on the bus.....everything looked so brown and uninteresting....we saw our first pilgrims and the heart fluttered a little, but deep down I was thinking this did not look so interesting after all. Was this going to go down as our first epic fail in travel?
We hopped off the bus at Leon and made the call to get straight on another one to Astorga (we had been planning to take the bus to Astorga, but a day later after seeing the cathedral).....I was disappointed at not even glimpsing the cathedral, but the welcome we received in Astorga was wonderful, the streets romantically beautiful, the food cheap and delicious, the history evident...and as they say, the rest is history.
We had a wonderful walk - one of the best things our family has done.
Take heart, be encouraged.

sagalouts said:
Hi cate
it would be strange if you weren't having second thoughts-I've walked on the Camino's every year since 2009 sometimes twice a year and I still get doubts,its a big thing we do. but please don't get put off by all the bad news thats being posted.
the road out of SJPdP is not a busy road-the Napoleon route is 3/4 tarmac-I have hardly ever seen people in high viz jackets and I have never seen any locals anywhere in Spain walking round at dawn or dusk in them either,the idea is just laughable.
Yes some of the Camino will fail to live up to your expectations and some will exceed them.
yes you are being tested and will continue to be so but your not on your own, nor will you be in SJPdP
So why not come and join the rest of the self-doubters including myself I also walk from SJPdP in 3 weeks time (4th April)
I will be the one not in a high viz jacket :)
Ian

I feel sorry for you. Maybe you don't use a life vest in a boat either? And I do hope nobody think its a bad thing to put on a high viz vest, because you are ridiculing them.
Here is something to read:http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/discuss-news-from-santiago/topic10007

Today I have been driving 220 km on the roads in Sweden, and I have seen a Large number of people wearing clothes which made them visible on the road. I did not find that laughable.

...and, as the link don't seem to be working. All I did was google "death on camino".
And I found an old thread "Mass to honour those who died on the camino". From 2011.
And two pilgrims had died when walking on the highway. That's very sad.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
no matter which dreams in life are about to come true it is always shit scarry...

usually turns out well though

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"Indeed this forum offers an invaluable wealth of information. However that can be a double-edged sword. Just about every conceivable difficulty and obstacle anyone has ever encountered is described here. It's not likely that they will all befall any one individual on their Camino. We all have different tolerance levels to pain, discomfort, uncertainty, etc. Persons of all different ages, fitness levels, travel experiences participate in this forum. Situations that one person may find a hindrance to another may be an enjoyable challenge."

This comment really resonated with me. To be sure, I TRULY appreciate so much of what I read, especially from veteran posters. I haven't even decided when to go (September 2013 or May 2014) and I could already articulate a list of worries that would be longer than my arm. So while the prospect and opportunity are there for me (thankfully), and I've already learned so much from so many of you, the other edge of the sword is that I find myself debating every aspect of this trip. From blister treatment to where to start, I could feasibly drive myself insane trying to second guess every part of my plan. Obviously, my biggest challenge is going to be to stop trying to control every aspect and just try to go with the flow. I am so blessed to have the time, both in the fall and in the spring (I am an academic on sabbatical this fall, with summers away from campus). I am blessed to have family and friends who are supportive (yet already sick of hearing me talk about this, especially in light of the fact that I can't really articulate why I need to take this journey). So Cate, I really hope you stick with it. When I was talking to my dad, speculating about how hard it would be to take the Napoleon route, I said that my hardest day would probably be the day I got on the plane to fly to Europe. I actually think that's the case. Plucking up the courage to do this, in my humble opinion, is really hard. But there is no reason either one of us can't do this.
Keep the faith (and so will I).
SuzyQ

Hi Cate,

It is great to read you now have a change of heart. I'm genuinely happy for you.

You have already learned no one at home can really understand the Camino, and you haven't even started walking yet. This will be a challenge when you return as well. You won't be able to give the Camino the explanation it deserves to those who have not walked. That is one reason I value forums like this so much.

Some days you'll find yourself smiling for "no reason", but we know those days of remembering. Not only will you have new and meaningful connections and memories, you will also be able to contribute back to forums like this. You will encourage those with the same thoughts you are having now. I like that for you.

My friend tells me the Camino brings to us that from which we run. :wink:

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Striderc8 said:
. but now I realise I was expecting some sunshine!

Cate
Our next trip starts in England. Sun would be nice. I have my doubts.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did a lot of research before I set out on my first Camino in 2011. I opted to start a mere 15 days after my retirement, and I carried a load of emotional baggage but I felt I was prepared.
In the physical sense of the word "prepared" I was. In the spiritual sense of the word, "prepared" I was not. I changed from the physical of the Camino to the spiritual of the Camino on day 13 - this is the day I woke up, and my pack felt so much lighter, my feet didn't hurt in the morning, and my breaks were taken not because I needed them, but because I wanted them.

The spiritual side of my journey became more and more prominent as days went by. Once my worries about lodging, distance, directions dissipated, the journey was filled with amazing wonders.
I remember standing in downtown Madrid with my backpack on my back, and my internal words to myself were "What the heck am I doing here?" - those words were never heard again.

Worries are part of the journey - they will leave your mind and make space for other thoughts...
Hang in there - and if the timing is not right for you, then it's not right. However, I would encourage you to put worries aside - and follow your heart!
Buen Camino, wherever it takes you!

Dear Cate, it is normal to get so nervous.

I am leaving in one week time from Holland for my first real camino. And some days I think I am crazy starting doing this. But now I organizing the last little things and love to follow my hart, not sure what will happen on my way.

The great thing of the camino is that is not only for heros, but also special for the weak to receive a great personal experience on your way. Stepping into the unknown.
It is not important where your start ... just take a safe decision listening to the weather advice.
But please go, you will not walk alone !!!!!!! :)

Wish you a great and special camino
Hans
'Wherever you go, follow your hart' (Confucius)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Cate-- what you are feeling is soooooo NORMAL!! What would not be cool is to give into it. For one thing, the weather is starting to get GORGEOUS, so your timing is good. Other than that (weather), EVERYTHING else you listed is under YOUR control NOT the other way around. Learn to cope with the trepidation but DO NOT GIVE IN. This is the first lesson the Camino is already giving you-- so, you ARE in YOUR Camino already!!

Buen Camino my friend-- stay strong, focused and determined! We are rooting for you!! :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cate,

I can really empathise with you. Before my first Camino I was downloading maps of every village I planned to stay in, even though there was sometimes only one street!!!

As others have said the hardest day can be the day you leave home. Six times I have left home for the Camino and I always have a sheet of paper that goes like this this
1. leave house 5.10
2. arrive airport 5.40
3. check in
4. flight departs 7.40
5. arrive xxx airport 10.10
6 .get bus to bus station --- have something to eat
7. get bus to xxx ----- bus times are 12.15 and 14.30

I think it is well worth while spending a little extra money if necessary to make this first day as stress free as possible and book in somewhere that first night so that you are not anxious about getting a bed. Once you arrive there it is like a weight is removed from your back. and one day follows another as night follows day, and by day three you will wonder why you were anxious at all.

Being anxious most probably means that you are being careful about being prepared as best you can, and that is good.

Buen Camino

Cate,

Be prepared for what will be one of the most memorable experiences of your life. I walked my first Camino last September (Camino Portuguese) and I can't wait to do the Camino Frances, probably next spring. My first Camino was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.

I belong to the "American Pilgrims on the Camino", the American association, and they had a haiku poem in their last newsletter that I may have stitched onto my backpack the next time I walk on the Camino:

Am I chasing you?
Or is it you, looking down
Smiling at my joy

Buen Camino

Dear Cate,

It is inspirational and igniting that you are taking this promise out into the world and following your heart. This is your first step into walking the camino. Continue to trust yourself and know that everything is unfolding in the highest possible way for you, and know that you are on the right track.

I will also be walking the camino soon. A year ago today like you I had it in the forefront of my mind and I had fear and self limiting beliefs over hanging me. This lesson has shown to trust myself no matter what, and to follow my heart to where it needs to go for the greatest discovery is the journey.

I am enthusiastically looking forward to booking my flight to Biarritz and know now that this is the way that I choose for every step brings us closer to who we are born to be.

Hope you have a blessed journey, and who knows we may see each other then xx

Have faith, stay strong and enjoy the journey :)

With love

Ana xx

€46,-
Lydia Gillen said:
I think it is well worth while spending a little extra money if necessary to make this first day as stress free as possible and book in somewhere that first night so that you are not anxious about getting a bed. Once you arrive there it is like a weight is removed from your back. and one day follows another as night follows day, and by day three you will wonder why you were anxious at all.

Being anxious most probably means that you are being careful about being prepared as best you can, and that is good.

Buen Camino

I agree with Lydia here - make sure your first night is sorted, then you can recover from the stress of getting to the start, and enjoy the camino experience as it unrolls. I booked into L'Esprit du Chemin , at SJPdP for my first night, and , as it happens, it was the best time of my camino, as the following day was, across route Napoleon, on a beautiful day. On my second stage, again I booked into an albergue in Najera - again, I could wind down from the travelling, and enjoy the walk thereafter.
Bien camino.

After months of build up for my first camino, leaving London tomorrow, have just been informed that Eurostar is cancelled due to weather.

But il get there somehow. If it takes me a few days longer so be it,
Damn you snow.

Stu

hi Stu
from what I here they are offering refunds for today or maybe trains tomorrow,there are cheap buses from Victoria up till 9-30 tonight or from 10ish in the morning to Paris-7-8hour journey .
but you sound like your in the right mind-set.
your Camino has begun take it all in a relaxed way
have fun
Ian

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Cate
I empathise. Looking through my camino folder I see I started planning in 1999, so this year it will happen. Nervous? You bet. Apprehensive? A bit. Excited? Yes Yes Yes.
Ferry booked for 5th May. Bike serviced. Better get some practice in.
Have a good camino. Once you start all the nerves will evaporate.

Thengel1 said:
Hello Cate:

Your post struck a chord with me for two reasons:

1. Like you, I am scheduled to take my first step from Saint Jean Pied de Port in about three weeks (three weeks from tomorrow, to be precise)

2. Also like you, I have been worrying about my ability to do this. In my case, I carry far too much weight on me, and my efforts to lose it in the last few months have been unsuccessful.

I am not sure I have any great wisdom to impart here, I just wanted to say that you are not alone in having doubts. But come April 2nd, I will be there. And if takes me longer to reach Santiago than anyone who ever has walked it, so be it.

There are always going to be reasons not to do something. From what I have read, the high road to Roncesvalles can be closed even in July. One thing I have learned in past year is that we have very little control about things that happen in our lives. I suspect the camino will be the same. That is not a reason not to do it.

Don't give up.

Glen

I walked the way last summer and I walked all the way to Finisterre. I doubt it will take you longer then my to reach Santiago. The trip took 9 weeks, with the days from Iceland and back again and I walked for 53 days. I just took it easy and enjoyed taking brakes on the way and really suck everything in.
Don't worry so much, just take a deep breath and start walking.
Sigga Kj

Hi Cate -

Thank you for sharing your fears and anxieties. I too have had one of those days today as I am starting the Camino in less than 3 weeks on 1st April, leaving behind my husband and children to go on an adventure. The details of getting there and finding my way are taking over from my original desire to just do it!! So get back to your dream and take on board all the great advice advice given below.

Maybe our paths will cross....I hope so. I'm thinking of dyeing my hair red for the trip!! Unless I bottle out!

On my to do list tomorrow is book a bed in SJPP for 31st March.

Blessings
Ali
x
PS This is my 3rd attempt to post on this forum so I hope it works to boost my morale tonight!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with Monica, once one returns from the Camino after a few weeks of rest and forgetting all the hardships and enjoyments of the Camino you are ready to begin again. :p Myself not sure when or if will go this year but hopeful. I just had to put my mom in a home today so need to think about leaving for now. :roll: But hoping and God willing :(
chao
n+

Aaaahhhh - thank God you all sound so normal. I am comatose at the moment. I have 4 days to go, I am surrounded by piles of 'sorting', and 'weighing up the necessities vs the really-wants'. Instead I go outside and sit in my garden.
My friends and family having survived my monomania for so long can't understand why I've just suddenly stopped.
I'll move again, I know this pattern. I wait for the pressure to outdo the inertia.
I'll be on that plane on Monday morning and my doubts will wave me goodbye at the airport.

Hi Cate,

Remember Christopher Columbus ............off he went...and it was a big adventure for a young person
The people on the way in the space shuttle had butterflies and rightly so , what a journey

My wife's family got bombed for years in London so they boarded a boat [ around 1947 ] and landed DOWN HERE...we go back to the UK after each camino and there has been one each year from 07.....but she is eternally grateful for that long crossing in 47.

In 07 we walked with a young boy [ 15years] from Canada . He wanted to be a ice hockey star after he finished school....by the end of his camino he was going to Environmental Engineering or Enviro. Law.
This he gained by talking to young people he met who were taking a ""gap year"" after deciding at a very young age.....with the help of teachers to select a course in uni.
Some of these kids were going back to the same degree after completion of the first year others a big left or right turn to another stream.

Enjoy this trip Cate, you will love it.
It's not rocket science......start slowly , a good room once a week, and all will be ok
And do your OWN thing.
Every day/night you will have a new family and if you decide to walk to Muxia and Finasterre then you will find 95% of your family have deserted you.

I was more nervous when i went to The Fuhrer's home to ask her parents for the right........

Have a wonderful time Kate and we hope to see you next year on the Norte or Le Puy
Buen Camino
David

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
800km? You've got to be joking. :?

1. Some wise guy once said the hardest step on a thousand mile journey is the first one.

2. On the road I met a fellow who had walked from Rome while I had walked only from SJPdP. He put it in perspective; We are doing the same thing, that is walking 20-25km today. The only difference is he has been doing it for more days.

So try to think of your first day as a 25km walk. Tomorrow is another day. I can do 25km :) . Piece of cake.

"Thank you for your words of encouragement. I will set out at Easter as planned and maybe I'll just wait and see where it takes me. Cate"

Cate! Now THAT is what I call a pilgrim! :D

Your pilgrimage will be unlike anyone else's pilgrimage - it will be specifically yours, because of you, and who and what you are. If your family and friends did understand then there would be about 25 of you going and your pilgrimage would be ruined - so all is well...

the most common feelings just before setting out from home are anxiety and "why am I doing this?" - this is normal. Your chattering brain wants certainty and you are stepping out into uncertainty, where the next day cannot be predicted, so it becomes scared ... this is fine, we all get this - and as Sagalouts mentioned, that honest man, not just on the first one either.

Sure, you will get down, might get a blister or two, but the external is a necessary part of the internal and there are many many highs too.
I think that the only problem you will have is when you get home and are trying to explain your experiences to those who didn't understand why you needed to go in the first place - but the joke is on them as you will return strong and confident (but unfortunately addicted to the Camino) :wink:

All is well Pilgrim - remember, just about everyone you meet on the first few days will be feeling just like you ...

Buen Camino :wink:

There is a lot of wonderful wisdom in this thread. The words of falcon especially resonated with me. Remember, the Camino is a pilgrimage, not a hike, and so by definition it is an inner journey or quest. Yes, you need to make the physical preparations, but that’s not really what you are bringing to the Camino. You are carrying doubts and fears which weigh you down more than anything in your backpack. And they are beginning to reveal themselves to you now – which is a good thing – because they are giving you the opportunity to heal them, not be debilitated by them. There is a reason the Camino is called the “Way of the Sword”. It’s the place where you battle your demons and find your strength. And you stepped on that Way the moment you decided to make this pilgrimage.

So take heart. IMO - Stop preparing the physical. I’m sure that’s more than ready. Take time now to prepare your heart, your soul, to walk. Meditate, pray, journal, make peace with your fears. Your heart is what will lead you on the Camino. IT is the yellow arrow that you truly following. And the destination outwardly may be the Cathedral at Santiago de Compostela, but the true destination of this pilgrimage is the temple of your own inner self.

Wishing you, Cate, and all pilgrims here, a muy buen camino. :)

€46,-
Thank you so much for such wisdom and generosity.

As Monica said, this is my time to go. Best heed that then. It's calling...

I begin my first Camino on April 8th at the age of 66, and sure, I have a few concerns about the hike between SJPP and Roncesvalles, but one way I look at it is, if "they" have been doing it large numbers since 800, then chances are I can do it in 2013.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back