• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bet you can't walk just one....

econodan

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Catalan, Aragones, part of Frances, Ruta del Salavador, Primitivo, and Finisterre (2012);
Cammino San Pellegrino, Italy (2013);
Lebaniego, Vadiniense, and Invierno (July 2014)
Greetings all,

We're heading back at the end of June for our second round. First pilgrimage was in the spring and summer of 2012, from Montserrat (outside Barcelona) to Finisterre, following the Camino Catalan to Jaca, then along the Camino Aragones to where it meets the Camino Frances near Puente de la Reina, along the CF to Leon, then northward on the Ruta del Salvador to Oviedo, the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo down to Santiago, and then onward to Muxia and Finisterre. (If you are interested in a blow-by-blow, you can check out the blog linked in my signature below.) This summer, we only have time to walk from the Norte south along the Caminos Lebaniego and Vadiniense to Leon, a few days west from there along the Frances to Ponferrada, and then following the Camino Invierno to Santiago.

When we started out on our first pilgrimage, we only had a rough sense (mostly from browsing this forum) of what to expect. What we didn't anticipate was the degree of personal transformation we both underwent along this journey, and the unexpected lessons we learned. (I'm being intentionally vague in writing this because part of the pilgrim experience is finding one's own lessons; yours are apt to very different from mine.)

Part of the reason we walked along a number of different caminos was grounded in one of my personal motivations, which is improved understanding of how the Camino affects the lives of residents in the many rural areas, towns, and cities through which we pilgrims pass. On the 2012 pilgrimage, I pursued many conversations with local residents (and fellow pilgrims) along the way, and gained a number of insights.

This year, I am following up that research project with a survey of pilgrims, focusing on their daily spending in a few key categories, in order to better understand how the Camino affects the local economies of the communities through which it passes. I'll be using a survey method based on text messaging, and it should require only seconds of your time each day. If you might be interested in participating in this survey, please reply via a private conversation here on the forum, or via email to caminosurvey@gmail.com, and I'll provide you more information.

Buen camino all,

Dan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Laurie,
No, any camino. Right now I have a few for other caminos, but mostly the Frances.
We leave here Friday, will be in Bilbao early next week and then starting on the Camino Lebaniego from San Vicente.
Dan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.