• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to SJPDP

ChristopherC

Time of past OR future Camino
August 25
For anyone trying to get from Bilbao to SJPDP, the bus system is fairly easy by way of Pamplona.

You do need to buy two bus tickets, both you can get at the intermodal bus station in Bilbao. I arrived in Bilbao two days in advance and bought my tickets on the day I arrived. Not sure I would chance it the same day.

I had to buy one bus ticket from Cuadra Bus Company to get to Pamplona. They had a 6:15am bus and a 7:15am bus. I got the 7:15am bus. The ride is approximately 2 hours. I also got an ALSA bus ticket from Pamplona to SJPDP for a noon departure. The ticket windows for these two companies are next to each other. I think ALSA only has that one bus a day, so make sure you don't miss it. Overall, the Bilbao Intermodal is brand new, safe, and easy navigate. It's in the center of downtown Bilbao.

The bus station at Pamplona is also easy to navigate. I had enough time to do a lap around the historic center between busses. There is a ticket window at the Pamplona station for ASLA, but again, I'd get both tickets in advance. The bus to SJPDP was completely full.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The only real downside of going by bus via Pamplona is that there is just the one bus per day to SJPDP. Leaving at 12:00. Which can often mean overnighting in Pamplona before taking it - a place you are going to be visiting again anyway in a few day's time! :) If you arrive in Bilbao fairly early in the day it is just as easy to travel to Hendaye by the local Euskotren light railway and switch to SNCF trains for Bayonne and then SJPDP. Or a slightly quicker alternative might be an ALSA bus from Bilbao to Irun and just walk across the border to Hendaye station. So you can overnight in SJPDP rather than Pamplona and save yourself a travelling day for use later in your walk.

Last edited:
Or you could just walk the Norte. Out of idle curiosity, where did you start your travels to end up in Bilbao?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back