• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boat ride to Padron

PAK

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
We will be taking the boat from Vilanova de Arousa at 8am and getting into Padron late morning. Our questions to the Forum - do we push on into SDC or stay the afternoon/night in Padron? Is Padron worth the time? Padron is the final stop before SDC so is the vibe celebratory?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm planning to divert to the Herbon Monastery after riding the boat from Vilanova de Arousa, and seeing if I can snag a bed at Herbon. They are supposed to have a lovely communal meal!

Otherwise, if you stay in Padron, you can spend the day exploring Padron and get a Pedronia certificate!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I believe the boat moors in Pontecesures so central Padron is another 2km/20-30 min walk. There are a number of places you could push on to with accommodation (distance from mooring)
  • Hotel Scala at about 4km
  • A Picaraña at about 10km
  • Rua de Francos/Teo area at about 12.5 km
  • O Milladoiro at about 17km
Distances aren't exactly using the Camino route but using Google best guest at walking route but should give you a guide.

I would first say that Padron is a pleasant town to overnight in on the CP. When we walked the Central Route, we very much enjoyed staying there. When we did the VE, we, too, arrived late morning. We had decided to walk on from Padron after gathering our Pedronías at the municipal albergue and having lunch there. As we wanted to be sure to arrive in SdC for the morning Pilgrim’s Mass, we were told that the Botafumiero would be flying and it did, we walked another 10-12 km so as to make our final day on the Camino a bit shorter and which made getting to the cathedral by 11 am very doable. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with an overnight in Padron if that’s what you choose. Plenty of time to enjoy and celebrate in Santiago particularly if you’re spending more than one night there. Bom Caminho!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I had the same question, as I am currently in Armenteira and will be taking an early boat to Pontecesuras on Sunday morning, meaning I could conceivably be in Santiago that evening if I decide to push on once it lands. Based on a few responses here, though, it seems like it is worthwhile staying in Padron for the evening.

My question now is whether I want to walk those remaining 25 km the next day, or have a relaxed morning in Padron and bus/train to Santiago later in the day. I already have a compostela from my first Camino, so “cheating” and moving ahead more quickly isn’t much of a concern to me. It’s more a matter of avoiding what I remember of that last day from that first walk: a seemingly endless, crowded slog through dull suburbs. It made an already long walk feel twice as long and I’m not excited to repeat the experience.

I had the same question, as I am currently in Armenteira and will be taking an early boat to Pontecesuras on Sunday morning, meaning I could conceivably be in Santiago that evening if I decide to push on once it lands. Based on a few responses here, though, it seems like it is worthwhile staying in Padron for the evening.

My question now is whether I want to walk those remaining 25 km the next day, or have a relaxed morning in Padron and bus/train to Santiago later in the day. I already have a compostela from my first Camino, so “cheating” and moving ahead more quickly isn’t much of a concern to me. It’s more a matter of avoiding what I remember of that last day from that first walk: a seemingly endless, crowded slog through dull suburbs. It made an already long walk feel twice as long and I’m not excited to repeat the experience.
Have you walked into SdC on the Portugues route? I liked that last day’s walk far better than on the Frances, so if you haven’t done it before, I would encourage you to walk it.

I'm planning to divert to the Herbon Monastery after riding the boat from Vilanova de Arousa, and seeing if I can snag a bed at Herbon. They are supposed to have a lovely communal meal!
I slept a night in the Herbon monastery and that was one of the best experience that I have had on my Caminos. A friar showed us the monastery. We pilgrims had a communal meal. Fine organization.

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
I slept a night in the Herbon monastery and that was one of the best experience that I have had on my Caminos. A friar showed us the monastery. We pilgrims had a communal meal. Fine organization.
I wish I'd known about this in 2019 when I walked from Porto. I obviously didn't do enough research at the time, and have now learned something new in hindsight.

We are taking the 7 AM boat tomorrow, but already planned to stay at O Lagar De Jesus because of the communal dinner. We should get to the end of the boat ride by 8:30 AM so thinking leisurely breakfast, get the certificate, walk around… then show up early and hang out at the Hostal.

T

Otherwise, if you stay in Padron, you can spend the day exploring Padron and get a Pedronia certificate!
There is a beautiful church there and town people are great, I'd stay the night. We took a train there from Santiago last fall.
We will be taking the boat from Vilanova de Arousa at 8am and getting into Padron late morning. Our questions to the Forum - do we push on into SDC or stay the afternoon/night in Padron? Is Padron worth the time? Padron is the final stop before SDC so is the vibe celebratory?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Padron is a nice place to spend the day, but you could also push on to Milladoiro and then have an easy last day, arriving in SdC early enough get your Compostela, attend the noon mass, and then relax.
In my experience you will need to be at the cathedral by 10.00 (or 10.20-10.30) at the latest to get a decent seat (or any seat); I would bear that in mind while scheduling.

We are taking the 7 AM boat tomorrow, but already planned to stay at O Lagar De Jesus because of the communal dinner. We should get to the end of the boat ride by 8:30 AM so thinking leisurely breakfast, get the certificate, walk around… then show up early and hang out at the Hostal.
We are doing the exact thing in a few days. This way we will arrive to Santiago earlier.

Last year we arrived in Padron at noon and hiked in to SDC. But on another hike, I stayed in Padron and loved it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, did you have to book places on the boat or du you just turn up?

We booked ahead ....
So did we in May 2019. The boat was a large, lovely double decker. I'd prior read that often a dingy was used if only a few people were scheduled to go so wanted to make sure we got on the dingy. It was a nice surprise to have the boat waiting at the dock instead.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
That is exactly what I did in 2022, it was perfect! One of my all-time favourite albergues, and a lovely walk into Santiago the next day.

How and where do you book that boat ride ? And how advance did you book? 🙏🙏🙏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The captain, Santiago, is wonderful. I think you'll enjoy the boat ride (dress warmly). Once in Padron, we continued walking to the most wonderful accommodation of our camino - Casa Rural Vella da Rivera (look it up on Booking.com). It is a small casa run by a a wonderful couple - Xin and Diego - who are caring and generous. Beautiful accommodations, an amazing dinner, and breakfast the next morning. I think it's about 13 km from where the boat lets you off, just a bit off the Camino but easy to find. Xin will lead you back to the Way the next morning. You should book ahead because it might be full. I think the town is O Sisto. So worth it! And then another 13 km to Santiago for an easy day's walk.

I haven’t heard of the Pedronia certificate- can you tell us about that?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Yes, that is what we did. Counted it as rest day. There is much of religious significance, especially walking up the 100+ steps to where Saint James preached on Monte Santiaguino.

As I understand it, you just have to get your Credencial stamped at the Church of Santiago de Padrón or in that of Santa María a Maior de Iria Flavia. It's advised but not required to visit the other sites related to St. James in Padron and around it. Then you go to the tourist office or the municipal pilgrim hostel and request a Pedronia.

The website I linked specifies that you must complete one of the following pilgrimage routes:

• The Way of St. James from Santiago de Compostela to Padrón
  • An itinerary from any locality of the Ria of Arousa to Padrón (sea–river route) or the Portuguese Way
  • An itinerary from any municipality that is at least 18 km from Padrón.
I have bolded the second line because it will be most applicable to the pilgrims walking the Camino Portuguese.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I recently walked the camino portuges and so enjoyed the time in Padron. I decided to stay and it was a great decision- had a good meal, met some good company on the boat and enjoyed exploring Padron. Was fresh for the remaining walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone have the map tracks in English for the Portuguese Coastal Senda Litoral and Spiritual routes?
Hi my friends! I just wanted to let you all know that me and my daughter are on our way! We arrived in Porto on June 5th and are in Baiona now! I received so much help from you all and am very...
I am thinking of walking Porto to Santiago staying as close to the ocean as possible. I believe it might be called the littoral path. Is there luggage transfer available on this route?
Has anyone completed the Camino Portuguese coastal in the summer months? I'm considering completing our camino quite slowly and enjoying some beach time with the kids on the way. They will be 13...
We are completing or Camino from Lisbon to Porto tomorrow. We plan to start walking the coastal route the following day but we are trying to find 2 locations along the coastal route that would be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back