• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boat to Pontecesures: which company to choose?

rgutena

Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Via Gebennensis?
Hello All! I am looking to book my boat trip from Vilanova to Pontecesures online. What is the difference between Bahia (€25 one way) and Amare (€30 one way) in terms of quality of service and reliability? And do the boats to Pontecesures all depart from the same spot in Vilanova, or do different companies have different embarkation points? Just curious as to whether it is worth paying the €5 extra.

Also, will they need my phone number to advise me of any last minute changes in departure time? I don't have Whatsapp, so would they email me instead? I do plan to get a local SIM card but I won't know my number until I am in Spain.

Would love to hear your experiences about the above. Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm pretty sure they leave from the same location. I went with Amare, which left an hour later than the other company (9 a.m., I believe, although I think it varies with the tide). I can't speak to the other company. Amare ran two boats. My friend was in the other boat and snapped a picture of me during the ride, which was a nice keepsake.

I went with Bahia last August 20th. We set off at 7:00 am. A small breakfast was served on board and nice explanations were given by the captain about the 17 crosses on the way, how important the tide is to navigate and the mussel farming in the waters of the estuary. The explanation is in Spanish and in English.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This last June we went with Amare, booked on whatsapp. Ours was at 1200 due to the tides - open boat but we had a sunny day. Enjoyed the ride and commentry.

I have the same question. I thought Amare runs speedboat and Bahia operates slower bigger boats. I'd prefer going by leisurely speed and the big boat would be more stable. Correct me if I'm wrong

In 2021 i went with Bahia Sub contact by email or phone

http://www.bahiasub.com

+34 607 911 523
They gave me departure time on the day i wanted to travel months in advance.
Communicated with Olga by email very helpful lady.
I ended up buying a ticket from their office on the day in the end.
Office Cross this bridge and on the right about 30 metres is their office.
To the left about 100 metres is the boat landing by a building with a 5 metre yellow arrow painted on it you cant miss it!
Just listened to first vid it defo is the bridge to Villa nova de Arousa not Viana do Castelo; brain fog or maybe just old age 🤣

Attachments

• OVER THE BRIDGE VILLA NOVA.mp4
    5.5 MB
  • VILLA NOVA BOAT LANDING.mp4
    5.4 MB
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have travelled twice with Bahia and they have been superb.
Olga in the office is a pure delight and gave me sailing times months in advance.
Captain Santiago (yes, that’s right) is equally lovely.
Bahia operate a bigger boat and a smaller boat simply depending on numbers wanting to travel. The bigger boat is similar to a cruise on the Thames in London with seating inside and outside, free coffee and cake.
Great trip.
If you PM me I can send you a photo of the departure point.

Can I ask why no WhatsApp? You’re clearly tech savvy with your plans for a Spanish SIM so why no WhatsApp? i Have found it invaluable for booking places to stay, restaurants and boats!

Thank you all for your super helpful responses and even photos!
If you PM me I can send you a photo of the departure point.

Can I ask why no WhatsApp? You’re clearly tech savvy with your plans for a Spanish SIM so why no WhatsApp? i Have found it invaluable for booking places to stay, restaurants and boats!
Oh, if you have a photo of the departure point, I'd love to see that too, thank you! I will PM you later. :) Let's not have the 'To WhatsApp or Not To WhatsApp' debate here; I'll just say I have my reasons...

I was totally defeated by the PM route as I could not find the 'attach file' link!
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Vilanova jetty.jpeg
    Vilanova jetty.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • Vilanova office.jpeg
    Vilanova office.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 20
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This last June we went with Amare, booked on whatsapp. Ours was at 1200 due to the tides - open boat but we had a sunny day. Enjoyed the ride and commentry.
Do they run mornings and afternoons? I wasn’t planning on being there till about 2:00..

Depends on the tide at the time - you can look up a tide chart for the area. Or contact them for a time for the day you want.

Do they run mornings and afternoons? I wasn’t planning on being there till about 2:00..
I think you posted an hour ago on another thread about boat times. I think it has all the information you are asking for here. Can I suggest you take a look and come back if you still have questions?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In 2021 i went with Bahia Sub contact by email or phone

http://www.bahiasub.com

+34 607 911 523
They gave me departure time on the day i wanted to travel months in advance.
Communicated with Olga by email very helpful lady.
I ended up buying a ticket from their office on the day in the end.
Office Cross this bridge and on the right about 30 metres is their office.
To the left about 100 metres is the boat landing by a building with a 5 metre yellow arrow painted on it you cant miss it!
Just listened to first vid it defo is the bridge to Villa nova de Arousa not Viana do Castelo; brain fog or maybe just old age 🤣
Bahiasub.com doesn't display the route we want. I found: https://www.labarcadelperegrino.com/variante-espiritual3.html with the right route. Their phone numbers are the same and both sites show the photo of their bahiasub boats. I will make an enquiry about my trip in October.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Kay! Sorry I haven't replied earlier I'm on the Camino . As MaxHelado said as far as we both know there it's only one route. Where are you going to? Woody

Hi Kay! Sorry I haven't replied earlier I'm on the Camino . As MaxHelado said as far as we both know there it's only one route. Where are you going to? Woody
Don't worry. The website you quoted is for mussel fishing. I found another website of the same company which had the boat we want. As I found it, I thought I'd share for the benefit of others. Also, I didn't get a response to my email despite the praise by the others. However the reserve button lead me to the information. I booked my boat now.
Bon Camino 😃

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Haha! I see where you're coming from. The mussel beds are a stop on the way where the guy tells you about them. It's defo the same trip honest!!! Have a wonderful Camino. They were exceptionally good at responding to emails when I went but that was 2 years ago. But I suppose that's the same as when reviews say a hotel or hostel is amazing and you stay there and think this is rubbish!

Here's my experience. The 8am boat by bahia sub was fully booked. I had booked it a month in advance. Other passengers who tried a few days before the date couldn't do it at first, but eventually they received a message that they will operate another one at 11am. It would have been better to go on 11s as it was still dark at 8.
Nevertheless it was a pleasant experience. It came with the free breakfast of croissant, a piece of cake, coffee and orange juice. And I got a stamp.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back