• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking and Apps/Books

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Podiensis and Camino Frances 2023
Hello!
My husband and some friends of ours are walking from Le Puy starting in August.

We’ve heard accommodations are sparse, so we’re wondering if booking (at least the first few days) is a good idea.

Also, the Le Puy route on the Buen Camino app seems to be a bit lacking. Any suggestions for other apps?

This will be our 6th Camino, so we have an idea of how things work. ☺️

Thanks!
Laura

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The "miam miam dodo" is the classic guide book for the via podiensis, which most french walkers seem to use. It is in french but easy to understand since it uses symbols. There's no app, but a pdf version available.

Hello Laura,

You are in for a treat walking the Via Podiensis. As mentioned above, Miam Miam dodo is the guide book (2 if you are walking from Le Puy to SJPP) to get….easy to understand if you do not have French. My husband and I walked from Le Puy to SJPP, starting in August, last year. Spectacular. We did book ahead, due to comments here (and on the GR65/Via Podiensis facebook group)…and we were glad we did. We met many pilgrims/walkers who had not booked and they spent time every afternoon/evening, booking for the next evening…while we enjoyed our beer. The French tend to book ahead, so that was a hint to us to do the same. AND, as we were staying in places where the had the Demi-pension (dinner/bed/breakfast), the owners of the gites needed to know how much food to cook. Enjoy your chemin.

It depends how many you are, and if you have a precise idea of the stops you will do.
I suggest to book at last the first night in Le Puy.
Regarding apps, I think Gronze: Podiensis is the most convenient.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is my favorite online planning tool. https://godesalco.com/plan/podense . We walked late August - early October in 2018. I used miam miam dodo to find accommodation. At the time, there was an excellent miam miam dodo app and we did not carry the book which can be found in every gite along the way. Nonetheless, in most cases one must either email or call to book accommodation, so learn how to ask in French what you need in terms of beds/rooms. My advice is to book at least one day in advance. If you are unable to find a place visit the tourist office in the town; they found us a place to stay on more than one occasion. Of course, things may have changed since 2018.

I really like the Cicerone Guide in English. And the Wise Pilgrim map app which gives my location in real time. I am on the Via Podiensis right now. There was also a Forum posting listing all accommodations on the Via Podiensis. It was excellent. I am glad I have booked ahead as it is busy right now. And people are spending time in the evening finding beds as stated above. That being said I am tonight in a gite in the very small village of Chapelle Saint Roche ( a few km from Decazeville) and this gite has 4 empty beds tonight. I don’t know if it might be different when you go.

My understanding of that route is you are expected to book ahead - but I believe the day before is acceptable. If there are more of you, you might want to book a few days ahead to ensure you have enough beds.

On the VF in France it is usually expected that you book 1-3 days in advance, if not earlier.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Laura,

You are in for a treat walking the Via Podiensis. As mentioned above, Miam Miam dodo is the guide book (2 if you are walking from Le Puy to SJPP) to get….easy to understand if you do not have French. My husband and I walked from Le Puy to SJPP, starting in August, last year. Spectacular. We did book ahead, due to comments here (and on the GR65/Via Podiensis facebook group)…and we were glad we did. We met many pilgrims/walkers who had not booked and they spent time every afternoon/evening, booking for the next evening…while we enjoyed our beer. The French tend to book ahead, so that was a hint to us to do the same. AND, as we were staying in places where the had the Demi-pension (dinner/bed/breakfast), the owners of the gites needed to know how much food to cook. Enjoy your chemin.
Thank you so much! Really appreciate your input!

Hello Laura,

Thank you again :) Did you book all of your trip before going, or a few days in advance?

This is my favorite online planning tool. https://godesalco.com/plan/podense . We walked late August - early October in 2018. I used miam miam dodo to find accommodation. At the time, there was an excellent miam miam dodo app and we did not carry the book which can be found in every gite along the way. Nonetheless, in most cases one must either email or call to book accommodation, so learn how to ask in French what you need in terms of beds/rooms. My advice is to book at least one day in advance. If you are unable to find a place visit the tourist office in the town; they found us a place to stay on more than one occasion. Of course, things may have changed since 2018.
Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much! Really appreciate your input!
Thank you again :) Did you book all of your trip before going, or a few days in advance?
Hi Laura, I booked the whole trip…something I was quite averse of doing…not my style…BUT I’m glad I did, as I didn’t have to think about accommodation at all for a month. It did take a lot of time and energy…I did make a few calls to the gites (I live in Canada)….alas, a good plan. Make your reservations directly with the gites (on their websites/calls directly to them), not on booking.com (only used that system twice and issues with both of them…which I was able to resolve when I forwarded the confirmation emails). Keep all your correspondence in a file on your phone. So excited for you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back