• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bordeaux Train Transfer

Laliibeans

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
I know I've seen people here discussing this but I can't find it in the search, so just wondering if anyone can help me out.

How long will I realistically need at Bordeaux to transfer on the way to Bayonne? Given that I'm unfamiliar with the station and that I'll be with my mother who has a tendancy to panic, I'm assuming it will be safest to go for the 1.5 hour transfer instead of the 13 minute one?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If my memory is correct 13 mins should be fine.In 2007 I was surprised when everyone got off the train at Bordeaux and I was directed to a nearby train to continue to Bayonne . I had booked to Bayonne(now come to think of it the first train was Hendaye. ) First Camino,hadn't a clue.o_O

Given that you are traveling with your mom and she can be quite anxious, I would plan on taking the later train. You will have lost nothing and you will be able to take your time to get off the train and identify exactly where you are going. Further, Bordeaux is a nice city to look at and stretch your legs with a bit of a walk. No need to increase the anxiety quotient for either of you. If you don't have any pressing need to arrive 1.5 hours early, then take your time.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thirteen minutes will be ample. You get off the train and then the platform, then look on the board for which platform your next train is on. Truly, 13 minutes is plenty.
Margaret

I know 13 minute sounds a bit rushed, I still get a bit "thingy" when I have to do it, but it's quite the normal thing in France (Bonjour France suggests that 7 minutes is plenty of time).
I'm not sure you'll enjoy sitting at the station for 1.5hr when you don't need to.
My suggestion would be to take the 13 minute connection, I think you'll find all those changing will do so, and you should be able to follow them.
I think for your peace of mind, it will be good for you to get organised before the train arrives at Bordeaux, get up organise your bags so your ready to go, not that you'll have to rush, but I think you'll probably enjoy having the full 13 minutes.
As Margaret mentioned look for the "board", check your tickets as the trains usually have clearly defined numbers which will be displayed on the board along with the platform number.
I've always found the stations in France have attendants meeting your incoming train, if you fell a bit lost have your ongoing ticket in hand and go to the attendant.
I'm sure you will both be fine.
Buen Camino
Colin

Hi Laliibeans, my plane arrives in Paris at 6.55a.m. I will catch either the 8.19 (if there are no holdups!) or the 10.16 TGV from Paris CdG to Bayonne. I find that they will select the manageable changes automatically for you. I have looked at 2 different places and and though the times are slightly different they both allow plenty of change time, and whats more from what I can work out I think I will be able to catch the last train to SJPdP. Cheers, Janet

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know I've seen people here discussing this but I can't find it in the search, so just wondering if anyone can help me out.

How long will I realistically need at Bordeaux to transfer on the way to Bayonne? Given that I'm unfamiliar with the station and that I'll be with my mother who has a tendancy to panic, I'm assuming it will be safest to go for the 1.5 hour transfer instead of the 13 minute one?

Hello lalibeans,

Bordeaux station is a small train station. You should not have any problems taking the earlier train. As mother has a tendency to panic, i will take the later train to relieve her anxiety. I worked in bordeaux for 2 years, i don't think the area has changed that much. Just go for a walk around the block.

Buen camino. God bless.

13 minutes is plenty of time. Can I reinforce the advice to look at the board in the main hall. For reasons that I have never understood, the platform for each train is announced on this board only about twenty minutes before the train is due. Since in every other respect French trains run like clockwork I don't understand why they can't announce the platform well in advance, but they don't.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll show mum these replies and let her decide which she'd be comfortable with. I'm used to navigating foreign stations and airports, but she's not, so I need to make sure I'm not dragging her around too much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I find the internet has maps for most airports, train stations, etc. They are useful to consult prior to travel if you are on a tight schedule. Its called a map recce.

Here is a map of Bordeaux train station.
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frboj/acces-gare/quartier/

It should not take you longer than ten minutes to get off the Paris Bordeaux train, find a destination board for the train from Bordeaux to Hendaye (which stops in Bayonne) to find the platform number, and, then get to the platform to board the train.

Gare Bordeaux website:
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frboj/accueil/

Here is sample schedule. Note "Voie" is the platform number which likely won't show until 20 minutes prior to departure.
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frboj/horaires-temps-reel/dep/

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...
I was looking at Alsa bus tickets to get from Pamplona to SJPDP. We plan to take 1 carry on bag to send from SJPDP to Ivar. The bus ticket mentions size restrictions for an extra bag, etc.. What...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back