• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BORED IN ITALY

Eagle

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Franceis '07, Camino Portugues '10, Camino Franceis Sept '12
Hi there -
I have just finished the Camino Frances walking 36 days from Roncesvalles to Santiago. I had such a good experience that I talked to my friend about what a great thing it would be to do it together maybe in the Spring.....she was somewhat less enthusiatic. We agreed that we would try a mini walk with packs (staying in hotels) in Cinque Terre, Italy - her idea of place. Long story is I am now in Cinque Terre solo....

Cinque Terre is nice but it is not the Camino. I thought I might be able to get information on something called the Via Frangenia - the Italian pilgrmig route to Rome but the Italian information folks I have talked to think I am nuts to want to walk to Rome with a pack. The internet has not been very helpful either with statements like "it has not really been developed and there are only expensive hotels to stay at along the way".

I am going to stay here in Cinque Terra for a few days and see if any plan comes to me. Lack of a better idea, I am considering a trip to Portugal. I have until Dec 10th and may as well do something. I WILL return to the Camino Frances again in the Spring so I don't want to go back now.

I am open to suggestions, advice, and/or companionship. Bored in Italy Bill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ciao Bill,
I walked the via through Italy last year and you are right - it's not the Camino! The Italian folk are also right, it has not really been developed and there are only expensive hotels to stay at along the way.
However, just this month over 1500 way markers were laid across Italy from Gr St Bernard Pass to Rome.
Where exactly are you? The Via comes down from Fidenza to La Spezia all the way down to Lucca. Here are a couple of links for the VF - http://www.pilgrimstorome.org.uk (started by our forum member William) which has many other links to the Via Francigena. A really good website with maps, daily schedule guide, places to stay is:
http://www.associazioneviafrancigena.com
Good luck and cordiali saluti!

Thank you Sillydoll -
I am Monterosso in Cinque Terra but will go through Spetsia to Lucca where is a nice hostel I am told tomorrow. The sun came out and the trails of Cinque Terra are very nice for hiking.....I need a bit more than just a hike. The markers to Rome sound like a good way to spend a few week. I will have to figure out lodging.....there is always plastic. Any other guidance is appreciated. Bill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bill, can you email me at sillydoll@gmail.com so that I can send you a couple of docs with accommodation details and a few daily guides? I have emailed the VF Associazione in Fidenza to ask where you can get a credential from. You have to walk the last 100km to Rome to earn the Romea certificate.
Ciao,

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.