• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro ritual in the Cathedral of SDC

Time of past OR future Camino
FRuture: Camino Sureste (2022)
Dear Forum members,

I will be making the portugues route between the 30th April 2015 and 27th May. I will fly back to Malta in the afternoon on 27th May.

I have a slight doubt about the ritual of the Botafumeiro in the cathedral. As far as I know this is held at miday every day. But it seems that in 2014 this was held only on Fridays eveings. If this is still so I need to extend my date of return to Malta to watch the event.

Does anyone know if this is still the same in May 2015.

Thank you and buen camino,

Ray

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Friday swinging at the 1930 mass has been put on the calendar for 2015 starting on April 3:

http://www.horariosbotafumeiro.com/

By the end of May, many groups will have paid the fee for swinging the botafumeiro, but in the past the Cathedral has been very coy about announcing when it will be done. It can swing at any mass, so if someone has not paid for it at a pilgrim mass, go back for a later mass (or the earlier one).

I've seen it done many times a day, many days in a week. Pop in your head before the service to see if it is ready to be used, if it is not, come back for the next service until you see it will be swung.

The Friday swinging at the 1930 mass has been put on the calendar for 2015 starting on April 3:

http://www.horariosbotafumeiro.com/

By the end of May, many groups will have paid the fee for swinging the botafumeiro, but in the past the Cathedral has been very coy about announcing when it will be done. It can swing at any mass, so if someone has not paid for it at a pilgrim mass, go back for a later mass (or the earlier one).
I've seen it done many times a day, many days in a week. Pop in your head before the service to see if it is ready to be used, if it is not, come back for the next service until you see it will be swung.

Thanks for the information.... it seems there are no fixed rules although there is the official day (Friday). It all depends on the amnount of pilgrims. End of May should be a good time.

Regards Ray

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
During 2014 I think, the Cathedral authorities decided to only use the Botafumiero at Masses where a group or person funded the several hundred Euro cost of each use. Each of the tribulateros who pull the ropes are paid personnel.

The ONLY Mass where the Botafumeiro may be reliably used is the noon, "Pilgrim Mass" on Friday. At other times, it is strictly "pay-go."

One tactic is to visit the Cathedral earlier in the morning. If the Botafumeiro is hanging above the main altar, it is going to be used. It takes several personnel to hoist it up and fasten it, ready for use. So, they will likely not invest the effort if it is not to be used soon. Just an idea...

I hope this helps.

t2andreo,
does this mean that the days on the websites linked here, for example: May 23 (the apparition of the apostle)and Pentecost (May 24) are no longer days they will swing the Botafumeiro?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
During 2014 I think, the Cathedral authorities decided to only use the Botafumiero at Masses where a group or person funded the several hundred Euro cost of each use. Each of the tribulateros who pull the ropes are paid personnel.

The ONLY Mass where the Botafumeiro may be reliably used is the noon, "Pilgrim Mass" on Friday. At other times, it is strictly "pay-go."

One tactic is to visit the Cathedral earlier in the morning. If the Botafumeiro is hanging above the main altar, it is going to be used. It takes several personnel to hoist it up and fasten it, ready for use. So, they will likely not invest the effort if it is not to be used soon. Just an idea...

I hope this helps.
There are 12 scheduled swings as listed on the Cathedral website. In addition, the botafumeiro will swing every Friday at the 1930 mass starting April 3.

All other swings are paid swings, and there can be several per day. The monk-like swingers are tiraboleiros.

There are three or four botafumeiros, so in season one is likely to be hanging regardless of whether there is a swinging scheduled that day. If the "pineapple" is hanging, the botafumeiro will not swing at the next mass.

To mount the botafumeiro, the rope is lowered, the botafumeiro untied, and it is removed on a stretcher-like device on the shoulders of tiraboleiros that has brought in the replacement device. It is fast and easy, but takes several personnel. Since the botafumeiro must be loaded with smoldering charcoal before it is swung, it has to be loaded and attached before every swinging.

I would like to thank everyone for the amount of information given by all.

I will make it a point tho be there on Friday 29th at 1930hrs and still have a chance to fly back to Malta at 22hrs same night.

Two more days at SDC will give me a chance for a pssible bus tour to Finisterre.

Regards and Buen Camino,

Ray

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with what has been said about the unpredictability. Don't be discouraged - I spent 4 days in SdC at the end of my camino early last July, and the botafumeiro swung at 3 of the 4 pilgrim masses on those days.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
the botafumeiro swung at 3 of the 4 pilgrim masses on those days
It is just a technicality, but only the noon mass is a "Pilgrim mass." It is easy to devolve a pilgrimage to having everything about the pilgrim, but the Catholic Church, cathedral, and Santiago do have other lives!;)

Misa del Peregrino

La Misa del Peregrino se celebra todos los días a las 12,00 horas. Durante los Años Santos se aumenta el número de misas del peregrino, debido a la gran afluencia de peregrinación. Aquellos que deseen tener sitio sentados deberían llegar temprano, pues esta misa está siempre muy concurrida y no se reservan plazas.

Los sacerdotes que deseen concelebran deben dirigirse a la Sacristía de la Catedral al menos 15 minutos antes de la misa.

Al inicio de la misa, y como bienvenida especial, se lee un listado de los peregrinos llegados a Santiago que han pasado por la Oficina del Peregrino en las últimas 24 horas, mencionando los puntos de comienzo de su peregrinación y las nacionalidades o provincias de donde provienen.

I would like to thank everyone for the amount of information given by all.

I will make it a point tho be there on Friday 29th at 1930hrs and still have a chance to fly back to Malta at 22hrs same night.

Two more days at SDC will give me a chance for a pssible bus tour to Finisterre.

Regards and Buen Camino,

Ray

Ray, your plan is a good one. The Friday evening masses usually last about an hour, and if you catch a taxi to the airport (about a 15 minute ride) you should have time to check-in, go through security, etc. before your 10pm flight. The SCQ airport is small so an hour there before flying out is OK. The other option would be to take a bus to the airport, but that might be too tight as the bus will take about 45 minutes to reach SCQ after making other stops along the way.

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Faith

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ray, your plan is a good one. The Friday evening masses usually last about an hour, and if you catch a taxi to the airport (about a 15 minute ride) you should have time to check-in, go through security, etc. before your 10pm flight. The SCQ airport is small so an hour there before flying out is OK. The other option would be to take a bus to the airport, but that might be too tight as the bus will take about 45 minutes to reach SCQ after making other stops along the way.

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Faith

Thank you Faith,

That puts my mind at rest as I have never been in that area of Spain. My Flight to Madrid is at Hrs 22.20 and as you say if its a small airport I can make it in time.

Kind regards and buen camino.

Ray

Thank you Faith,

That puts my mind at rest as I have never been in that area of Spain. My Flight to Madrid is at Hrs 22.20 and as you say if its a small airport I can make it in time.

Kind regards and buen camino.

Ray

Ray - Nate just reminded me that we're not allowed to take packs into the Cathedral now. You can leave your pack at one of the bag checks (ours included), and then after mass collect your pack, go to a taxi stand ("parada de taxi" - there are two nearby), and go to the airport. If you feel anxious that an hour's not enough time at SCQ, you can leave mass a bit early - but you can play it by ear and see! Lots of details! Enjoy them all :).

Take care,
Faith

Ray - Nate just reminded me that we're not allowed to take packs into the Cathedral now. You can leave your pack at one of the bag checks (ours included), and then after mass collect your pack, go to a taxi stand ("parada de taxi" - there are two nearby), and go to the airport. If you feel anxious that an hour's not enough time at SCQ, you can leave mass a bit early - but you can play it by ear and see! Lots of details! Enjoy them all :).

Take care,
Faith

Thankyou Faith,

A valid point. Will be worth using the taxi. Do I understand well ? Will you be there the same day ?

Hope to see you there !!!!

Buen Camino

Take care,
Faith

Dear Faith, Thank you for the advice..a valid point ..it is worth taking a taxi and save time.

Thanks and hope to see you there.

Buen Camino & Regards,

Ray

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola Ray! Oh, sorry for the confusion - I meant you can drop your pack off in our pilgrim welcome center, Pilgrim House - we have a bag check and we´re close to the Cathedral. And since it´s Friday night, I do usually work then! We´d love to meet you here, whenever you get into Santiago.
Enjoy Malta for all of us and Buen Camino!

Hola Ray! Oh, sorry for the confusion - I meant you can drop your pack off in our pilgrim welcome center, Pilgrim House - we have a bag check and we´re close to the Cathedral. And since it´s Friday night, I do usually work then! We´d love to meet you here, whenever you get into Santiago.
Enjoy Malta for all of us and Buen Camino!

Thanks will do for sure ! Probably will have an extra day at Santiago de Compostela !

R

I really can recommend the Pilgrims Welcome House for all things a pilgrim might need and a really lovely welcome (cheapest laundry and drying in town also!) Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So we can book our nights there ?
Ray, SYates is right - we're a day center for pilgrims where you can hang out but we don't have accommodation. There are a lot of great places around, though, that we can recommend. Let us know if you need more info and we (and other Forum members!) will be happy to name some names :).

Faith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ray, SYates is right - we're a day center for pilgrims where you can hang out but we don't have accommodation. There are a lot of great places around, though, that we can recommend. Let us know if you need more info and we (and other Forum members!) will be happy to name some names :).

Faith

Yes will be glad to know of any names.

Meanwhile I will be away for the coming week and once back I'll be needing some recommendations inoder to finalise all necessary bookings.

Thanks and regards,

Ray

I went on my Camino and intentionally focused on NOT looking for "tourist-y" things, forcing myself, a non-religious person, to focus on the religious. It was a pilgrimage, for cryin' out loud!! I imagined the Botofumeiro ceremony to be more for spectators than for "penitents" and that it would bring out more iPads and cell phone cameras than all the hiking poles in the Cathedral combined at any one time.

When I finally arrived in Santiago, I felt gratitude for all the people I had met, all the adventures I had survived, and all the wonderful moments. I felt grateful to the pack of Saints I had "carried" along with me and hoped they had enjoyed the journey.

When I got to the Cathedral, I prayed.

Amazingly, through no fault of my own and without any intention or investigation, I saw the ceremony 3 out of 4 random times during my 4 day stay in Santiago.

And, yes, more iPads than I had ever seen in any one place except maybe the Mona Lisa at the Louvre.

Of course, I took videos, too. ;)

Climbing off my high horse,

Kathy

I went on my Camino and intentionally focused on NOT looking for "tourist-y" things, forcing myself, a non-religious person, to focus on the religious. It was a pilgrimage, for cryin' out loud!! I imagined the Botofumeiro ceremony to be more for spectators than for "penitents" and that it would bring out more iPads and cell phone cameras than all the hiking poles in the Cathedral combined at any one time.

When I finally arrived in Santiago, I felt gratitude for all the people I had met, all the adventures I had survived, and all the wonderful moments. I felt grateful to the pack of Saints I had "carried" along with me and hoped they had enjoyed the journey.

When I got to the Cathedral, I prayed.

Amazingly, through no fault of my own and without any intention or investigation, I saw the ceremony 3 out of 4 random times during my 4 day stay in Santiago.

And, yes, more iPads than I had ever seen in any one place except maybe the Mona Lisa at the Louvre.

Of course, I took videos, too. ;)

Climbing off my high horse,

Kathy

Thank you Kathy for sharing your experience of the camino.

I am looking forward for a similar experience as I currently need a spiritual experinec.

This will be my highlight at this stage of my life... just started retirement.

Meanwhile it is great to know that the Btofumeiro ceremony is more than a tourist attraction.

I come from a highly religious country where many religious manifestations have also become tourist attractions!

Thank you,

and kind regards,

ray

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Dear Forum members,

I will be making the portugues route between the 30th April 2015 and 27th May. I will fly back to Malta in the afternoon on 27th May.

I have a slight doubt about the ritual of the Botafumeiro in the cathedral. As far as I know this is held at miday every day. But it seems that in 2014 this was held only on Fridays eveings. If this is still so I need to extend my date of return to Malta to watch the event.

Does anyone know if this is still the same in May 2015.

Thank you and buen camino,

Ray
If you can make it to Santiago for the 23rd May and attend Mass on the 24th I think it is Pentecost and the Botofumeiro will be used as part of the Mass, rather than at the close. There was also a procession as part of the service when we were there at Pentecost in 2009. Things may have changed, but worth checking.

If you can make it to Santiago for the 23rd May and attend Mass on the 24th I think it is Pentecost and the Botofumeiro will be used as part of the Mass, rather than at the close. There was also a procession as part of the service when we were there at Pentecost in 2009. Things may have changed, but worth checking.

That's's true and best to check which Mass is being celebrated for the Feast of Pentecost. Often on major feasts it is the 10am Mass which as has been said begins with a procession with the relics of Saint James accompanied by medieval instruments and the botafumeiro.

There are 12 scheduled swings as listed on the Cathedral website. In addition, the botafumeiro will swing every Friday at the 1930 mass starting April 3.

All other swings are paid swings, and there can be several per day. The monk-like swingers are tiraboleiros.

There are three or four botafumeiros, so in season one is likely to be hanging regardless of whether there is a swinging scheduled that day. If the "pineapple" is hanging, the botafumeiro will not swing at the next mass.

Hi falcon269,

What did you mean when you said the rest were paid swings? I would happily pay to get to see this ceremony (depending on the amount of course!). Do you have any idea how much it would be?

Thanks!

Ron

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am not @falcon269 but the price I heard was Euro 300 which sounds a lot, but if you get a few pilgrims together it might be manageable. Buen Camino, SY

Yes will be glad to know of any names.

Meanwhile I will be away for the coming week and once back I'll be needing some recommendations inoder to finalise all necessary bookings.

Thanks and regards,

Ray

Ray, let us know if you'd prefer a hotel, hostal (usually cheaper than hotels but still with private rooms), or an albergue. Also let us know what your approximate budget is and we all can help you zero in on something.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello,

The last post on this thread previous to this post is Feb 4, 2015 - more than 1 year ago. My wife and I are planning to do the Camino Frances this year starting May 1 in SJPP. We are giving ourselves a maximum of 6 weeks to get to SdC. So if things go as planned, we expect to be in SdC 2nd or 3rd week of June. Like everyone else, we would like to see the botafumeiro in action, so we want to understand the schedules so we can work it into our other activities.

Is the information presented earlier in this thread still correct? In other words:

The guaranteed dates/times are:
- there are fixed dates when the botafumeiro will be used - http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/services-for-pilgrims/the-botafumeiro/
- Every Friday at 1930

And then, there are times when there are additional swings (i.e. "paid swings")?

Thanks in advance.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back