• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro

Velvalea

Time of past OR future Camino
Leaving for Barcelona 3/2519 Starting in StJean Pied de Port a couple days later...
I am starting my first Camino in SJPdP on March 29. Will the botafumeiro be in use in 2019?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Botafumeiro operates during the following Solemnities:

• The Epiphany: 6 January
  • Resurrection Sunday
  • The Apparition of the Apostle-Clavijo: 23 May
  • Pentecost
  • The Martyrdom of Saint James: 25 July
  • The Assumption of Mary: 15 August
  • All Saints: 1 November
  • Christ the King
  • The Immaculate Conception: 8 December
  • Christmas: 25 December
  • Transfer of the remains of the Apostle: 30 December

And additionally to what @falcon269 wrote, every time a group or individual pays for it.

Important to know:
If the botafumeiro is used at solemnities (aka feast days of the church) - it will be used at the beginning/before the mass - as part of the liturgy.
If it is paid for on other days, it will be used at the end of mass, as that is not part of the liturgy.

BC SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Does anyone know if the Botafumeiro will swing on Fridays during the 2022 Holy Year? If not, how much does it cost to have it swing, and how can we arrange that. Thanks for your help.

“Fridays in 2022” is actually 52 separate questions! As part of the church liturgical services, there are dates that it will DEFINITELY be part of the service and periods where it will not. Do you have a date or time frame specifically?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
“Fridays in 2022” is actually 52 separate questions! As part of the church liturgical services, there are dates that it will DEFINITELY be part of the service and periods where it will not. Do you have a date or time frame specifically?
We will be in Santiago by May 12. Flying out of Lisbon on May 16, so there's not much of a window for us... If we could find another Pilgrim to split the cost for us, that would be doable.

The swinging of the botafumeiro will cost about 450€. Arrangements can be made by writing to botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es

The swinging of the botafumeiro will cost about 450€. Arrangements can be made by writing to botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es

Thank you, Rick andPeg!

Thank you, Rick andPeg!
Any idea how long it takes to hear a response? My friend send and email 3 or 4 weeks ago and she had not heard back. They will be arriving in Santiago in the middle of August after 7 days on the Camino and are willing to pay but have not heard back. Can they go to the Cathedral upon arriving and find out or request it in a short notice?
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back