• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bringing your own bike

TimCanada

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP 2010 Leon 2012 Leon 2013 ;SJPP 2018 Porto2024
Can anyone share their experience of bringing their own bike on an airplane, and then taking it home again. Especially if you have used Air Canada. I would be flying from Toronto. I am planning on biking the Camino this May. If I take my own bike, then I will have a bike that I am used to and it would be so much cheaper - but is the preceived hassels worth it?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK. I have taken and returned with my own bike several times from Australia. My bike is an expensive
Scott carbon MTB. On earlier caminos I always rented, which was fine, but the bike was always much heavier than I was used to, with unfamiliar gearing.
Last year I flew with my bike in a soft-cover Evoc bag, which has wheels. All my gear was in the bag and it came in at I think 27kg. Unpacked at the auberge in St Jean, then forwarded the bag via Express Bouricot to Santiago, ($70). Absolutely no problems. To me it was well worth the extra expense.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Another point: the weight consideration (on camino) is a big deal for me. I don't carry side panniers (1.7kg), I have a super light (180g) Ortlieb backpack which I carry velcroed on to my rack. And bike hirers expect you to carry an accessories kit - spare tube, pump, puncture kit and a huge heavy bike-lock. It all adds up. I have tubeless tyres and don't worry about that stuff.

G'Day/Hola @TimCanada I brought my own bike (hybrid/mountain bike) from Oz back in 2015, obviously no experience with Air Canada. On the recommendation of my local bike shop we only removed the front wheel. This made the package around 1500mm in length, it made it difficult to transport on Spanish trains.. Having seen Peregrinopaul's package I would agree that removing both wheels will make for a shorter package (say less than 1200 mm), which can then travel on most Spanish or French trains. I needed to have a tube replaced and the local bike shop in Pamplona did this and also checked that I had reassembled the bike correctly. I think the tube was about E7 (certainly less than E10) and the service was free (me being a pilgrim cyclist. If you have your own bike pack then that will make it easier to pack up on arrival in Santiago. There used to be a really great bike shop in Santiago that did repacking and arranged transport to Madrid but I believe they have now closed. I have posted recently about guide books that provide more road info than Brierley (a Michelin and the Velo - in French). It might help if you can get either of these books as there are (imho) parts of the Frances that bikes should not use.
Best of luck

It's the packaging of the bike that will be the issue. Then forwarding it on.

Seems you may have to follow @Peregrinopaul and find a way of forwarding the case to Santiago if the Air Canada rules are to be followed

• The bicycle must be placed - with handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed - in a rigid and/or hard-shell container** specifically designed for shipping or in a bicycle suitcase (in the case of collapsible bicycles).
  • Tires must be partially deflated.
  • If packaged differently, the bicycle may be refused for carriage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My experience of taking a bicycle on an aircraft has been fairly straightforward albeit only from the UK to Spain and back.
We used a large purpose built cardboard box which costs about £20. This then gets put in a recycling bin before the Camino and we then purchase another from the Spanish Post Office, around €20, to get home again.
The one we used last year in in our loft ready for our upcoming flight to Almeria in February to have a go at the Mozarabe.

When I say we, I actually walk but my partner Sarah likes to cycle. The biggest issue, as other have said, is moving the box around before and after the flight.
But there is two of us so not to bad.
We only remove the front wheel and my walking poles get zip tied to the bike frame so that helps with not having to check my bag in….sorry, I’m rambling again.
EasyJet charge £45 from UK to Spain for those reading this that are not in Canada…or anywhere else for that matter.

Last thing, I totally get the OP wanting to use their own bike. I’ve done the same with motorcycles in North & South America..it’s just better and more rewarding using your own, set up for you, bike…be it pedal or motor.

There you go, I’ve finally stopped 😁

The post above from OnHellas is pretty similar to my own experience. I´ve taken my bike from Spain to France and Belgium by plane using a strong cardboard bike box which I got from my kindly local bike store. Airlines charge for oversize luggage and this should be on the website. I packed my bike with bubble wrap and it arrived with no problems. Disposing of the box at the airport may need some consideration.

I assume you might fly into Madrid or Barcelona so suggest you take a look at ALSA the Spanish coach service as they are bike friendly and will carry your bike in the luggage compartment to a suitable start point e.g. Pamplona. There are other bus companies depending on where you want to start and finish. The bike needs to be partially dismantled and I wrap mine in strong black bin liners again with vulnerable parts packed with extra cardboard. You can place it in the hold yourself and again my bike has always arrived undamaged. You will need to book a bike slot along with your seat.

Good luck

Thank you for your help and advice. My current plans are to fly into Porto and to ride up the coast to Santiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Late to this thread. Hope this helps. Besides flying with my bike, I have rented at locales around the world. I prefer to bring my bike. I agree with Peregrinopaul, and adding on, I have learned not to expect the same performance from a bike rental as my own bike. On a near top of the line Santa Cruz, I was riding downhill on a windy, gravel and scree trail. The bike fishtailed like crazy, so I slowed down until it subsided, then went at speed again. The bike fishtailed again. Neither of my IBIS Ripmos, Giant Trance, nor my old Trek Fuel bike, ever fishtailed on similar downhills.

AirCanada’s rules are much like other transatlantic airlines for bike bags, which require advance notice of any oversized luggage. From the AirCanada website on luggage/sports:
Bicycles are accepted on a space available basis only and should be registered at time of booking by contacting Air Canada Reservations. Each bicycle counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type.”

Keep in mind that some airlines count anything not specifically bike-related inside a bike bag as regular luggage, and the bike bag or box containing clothing will cost extra as oversized luggage. I have traveled a few times with my IBIS Ripmo I (carbon, Eagle Access, top of the line components, size M), packed in my EVOC Pro Bike Travel bag. Including my 5-10s and helmet, it weighed 16 kg.

My EVOC Pro, with its all-directional wheels, was a breeze in the long Customs lines. In contrast, I observed a traveler with a cardboard bike box, and along with his wheeled luggage, he struggled to wend his way through Customs.

Also, getting from the airport to your hotel requires a vehicle large enough to hold your bike bag. If I’m not renting a large vehicle, I book a van pickup in advance. Good to know, some countries require an ultra clean bike (New Zealand).

G'Day @SilentNight
"Also, getting from the airport to your hotel requires a vehicle large enough to hold your bike bag. If I’m not renting a large vehicle, I book a van pickup in advance. Good to know, some countries require an ultra clean bike (New Zealand).

This was my situation exactly - had to hire - in advance, a taxi van to carry the bike to and from the Madrid airport. As for cleaning - well the bike shop in Santiago gave me the tip and advised the nearest car wash facility. This did not stop Australian Quaranteen people from asking me to open the box and show them the bike. Thankfully it was cleaner than when I packed it.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and shared advice. I have decided that it will be much simpler to rent two bikes as ossposed to bringing ours from Canada. We will be starting in Porto and will be taking the coastal route in mid-May.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree.
I appreciate everyone's opinions and shared advice. I have decided that it will be much simpler to rent two bikes as ossposed to bringing ours from Canada. We will be starting in Porto and will be taking the coastal route in mid-May.
I agree. Not worth it for a short camino.

My bike is an expensive
Scott carbon MTB
Peregrinopaul, you've given us some high quality information here.
This has got me a bit more curious about cycling on the camino or touring more generally (I've long had a secret itch to cycle the Via Francigena...).
But I'm wondering... if you opt to use your fancy (and highly desirable) carbon fibre machine, how do security considerations affect your camino decisions, particularly about where you stay or even leaving your bike around during the day when you eat etc?
thanks, tom

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back