A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Burgos to Ponferrada

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
I started my first Camino from SJPDP, on Sept 1 2016, by the time we reached the Meseta it was getting to a pleasant stage. It had been so hot initially. The days were still hot, but the mornings were cooler.
I always felt safe on the Camino regardless of which section. I think there are maybe slightly less people on the Meseta, than up to Burgos. You can always tag along close to others if you dont want to walk alone.
I loved the Meseta.

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
It can be quite hot. But, not impossibly so. You might take a brimmed hat along.

As a solo woman I never felt threatened.

September is harvest season. Seeing all the grapes on the bike was quite, quite nice.

Buen camino.

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Is september too warm to walk the meseta and is it safe?
Is it absolutely safe? No - of course not. There is always the potential risk of a fall, a traffic accident, becoming the target of a sneak thief, or indeed the very remote possibility of a personal attack. The Caminos are a part of the everyday world and not something completely remote and protected. You need to take normal everyday steps for your personal safety. But as others have said the Camino is likely to be far safer than the towns and cities where most of us spend most of our lives.

Mariu

Camino(s) past & future
Is it absolutely safe? No - of course not. There is always the potential risk of a fall, a traffic accident, becoming the target of a sneak thief, or indeed the very remote possibility of a personal attack. The Caminos are a part of the everyday world and not something completely remote and protected. You need to take normal everyday steps for your personal safety. But as others have said the Camino is likely to be far safer than the towns and cities where most of us spend most of our lives.
Thanks Bradycardipus, quite right! I wondered because it might be quite lonely.
I have walked the Camino from Ponferrada to Santiago with a group of friends in 2015, and from Pamplona to Burgos alone and had no problems at all, but had some doubts with the Meseta

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2011 Camino Frances 2016
I walked the Meseta alone in late August 2016 It was incredibly hot so do take enough water. I thanked God and the Spaniards for every tree that was planted alongside the senda for shade

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: 5 Sept - 25 Oct/2017
Starting to feel the itch again...
Is september too warm to walk the meseta and is it safe?
I walked the Meseta last year in September and, except for a couple of hot days (85F+), the weather was perfect. Cool mornings and warm days.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP to Santiago 2017
I walked the Meseta last year in September and, except for a couple of hot days (85F+), the weather was perfect. Cool mornings and warm days.
Ditto. It was great. Warmish days but not oppressive. Plenty of people on the trail so we were never feeling isolated. Mornings as the sun come up are especially beautiful.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 115 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%