• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos to Santiago

Jdonnellan

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
I am planning on biking from Burgos to Santiago toward the end of October. I would like to bike it in 6 days. I am also giving myself an extra 3 days in case of unforeseen problems. Is 6 days enough time to cover the distance? I can't spend more than 9 days on the trail.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi and welcome to the forum @Jdonnellan ,

The distance from Burgos to Santiago is ~500km, only you know if you are used to bike ~80km per day. Also, end of October there is a good chance of rain aka mud meaning you will be slowed down by this or have to take the, sometimes very busy, roads. On the other hand you might be lucky and have wonderful sunny and dry weather. Buen Camino, SY

PS Also keep an eye on http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ to see which albergues are open.

Hi and welcome to the forum @Jdonnellan ,

The distance from Burgos to Santiago is ~500km, only you know if you are used to bike ~80km per day. Also, end of October there is a good chance of rain aka mud meaning you will be slowed down by this or have to take the, sometimes very busy, roads. On the other hand you might be lucky and have wonderful sunny and dry weather. Buen Camino, SY

PS Also keep an eye on http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ to see which albergues are open.
Thank you for the advise!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am in agreement with SY - Burgos to Santiago is a "long way" even for Spain. If your intent is to try to follow the walkers Camino path then 80 km a day is in some places going to be difficult. That said it is possible to follow the walkers from Burgos to Rabanal, after that I, for the majority, stuck to the roads - often the Camino was 10 or 20 metres off to the left or right. You should factor in that you have two significant hill/mountain climbs - Astorga/Rabanal/Cruz de Ferro (and from here a really "interesting" descent) and again from Ruitelan/Herrerias/Laguna de Castilla/O'Cebreiro - and here you will have to follow the sealed road - the walkers track totally unsuitable for bikes. On other aside - doing 75 km per day you are not really going to get that Camino feeling/experience (imho) - I rode at half your predicted distance and still missed a lot hence I am going back to walk it next May. Best wishes.

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back