• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camera???

ZacM

I'm looking at a digital slr for around 300. I saw the Olympus 720UZ seemed pretty nice esp for $150-199. I also saw the canon G11used for around $320. I know past pilgrims have used that but if anyone could help me that would be great!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm using a little Canon Elph and I live it

I'm also using my iPhone which takes photos almost as good

Frankly I could have left the canon home.
Less to carry.

I love my DSLR, but it only comes out when photography is one of the major purposes of the trip.

As Annie said,the phones have become quite good for snapshots. My wife is shooting with a $120 Nikon S 01 which is really small and a cut above a phone. I'm using a Panasonic which is still pocket size with 20 x zoom.

All sorts of options, you just need figure out how important photographing the trip is.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did my last Camino with a Canon SX20. It was excellent.
In March I drowned it in a canoeing mishap so have just replaced it with Canon G1X.

I'm convinced that just a "point and shoot" with built in flash and 10X to 20X zoom is more than enough unless you are a serious photographer who wants to compose pictures and select camera settings.

Also keep in mind the battery type. If the camera you choose has anything other than AA type batteries then that's another charging system that will be competing for a wall outlet - wether you bring 2 batteries or not. That's increased weight also.

I think a point and shoot with decent specs and AA batteries would be the best Camino set-up for those who wish for something a bit more than a phone camera.

Damian

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

That is another concern. I was considering just buying AA batteries as I go. It's a tough call. I'm pretty good on weight so far so that is not an issue (was also considering bring my Mini Martin travelers guitar. Prob not happening though) I will check out your suggestions!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Damian27 said:
I think a point and shoot with decent specs and AA batteries would be the best Camino set-up for those who wish for something a bit more than a phone camera.

Using AA batteries was the prime criteria in selecting a Canon SX20 in 2010. I found 4 double A's would last me about 2 weeks and were available anywhere.

I don't know whats available now that takes AA batteries.

If you do end up charging batteries, choose a camera that you remove the battery from to do the charging. Less likely for a battery and charger to get stolen than a camera and charger.

I'm firmly in the camp that recommends cameras that use AA batteries, although new ones are getting hard to find. I normally use a Nikon DSLR for "serious" photography (not that photography on the Camino is not "serious"), but am taking only a compact camera to conserve weight and volume, plus not having to worry about recharging batteries. I have a Canon SX20 that I ruled against because of size and weight -- it's almost equivalent to a small DSLR. I was going to take my older Canon A590is, which uses 2-AA batteries and has 4x zoom plus PSAM manual control settings, but only does 640x480 resolution movies. However, I found a Canon SX150 on sale for US$120 which is probably what I'm going to take. The SX150 is slightly larger and heavier than the A590is, but it has 12x zoom and does 720p HD video, plus it uses AA batteries, and has PSAM manual controls.

Jim

So I fell into some money and got a pretty nice camera. Its the Sony DSC RX 100.

The thing that did it for me was the scenery pictures. It was suggested I check it out from a friend who does wedding photos and I am very glad I took his advice!!! I did not just buy this for my camino. I am very happy with my purchase and I cannot wait to use it!

Thank you for all of the suggestions, everyone! It was tough! We will see how it goes! I leave on Tuesday!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Glad you found your dream camera! An extra tip for people that are unsure about the image quality of one or more different cameras. You can do a search by camera on Flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/cameras and have a good look at the image quality that is achievable (or not) with different cameras. Buen Camino! SY

jmcarp said:
I'm firmly in the camp that recommends cameras that use AA batteries, although new ones are getting hard to find. I normally use a Nikon DSLR for "serious" photography

For those willing to live with the weight/cost I think all the Nikon add on grips take AA batteries. OTOH between the grip and camera body you can have 2 or 3 camera batteries (I don't mean the AA) . That's a lot of photos.

ZacM said:
That is another concern. I was considering just buying AA batteries as I go. It's a tough call. I'm pretty good on weight so far so that is not an issue (was also considering bring my Mini Martin travelers guitar. Prob not happening though) I will check out your suggestions!!!
Zac - bring the guitar!! I hope to cross paths with you and join in a few songs.....
Anna

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Zac - bring the guitar!! I hope to cross paths with you and join in a few songs.....
Anna[/quote]

I did not bring my guitar (turns out it I did something to my back a week in but still was able to continue my journey so a guitar was good just being home!) I was able to play a few times which made for some unforgettable moments at the albergues!

Burn camino!

Zac

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back