• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Camino arrow painter in the act :-)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
All arrows do not point the way!

2004 signage on the Valcarlos alternative out of SJPdP was miniscule yellow arrows painted on popsicle-like sticks and rather randomly attached to trees, logs, etc. Eventually I sensed that I was going north within a dense wood where the correct path should be basically west. Backtracking to the last marker nailed to a moveable stake I spotted with RELIEF a distant farmer; he walked towards me as I walked towards him. When asked the way to Arneguy he simply quarter-turned the stake and replied "Oh those children they just love to confuse you pilgrims". ...Luckily the signage has VASTLY improved over recent years and there are no more moveable arrows, but a basic sense of direction is still most helpful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is what we are experiencing on a few bits of the Via Francigena, after the Gran S. Bernardo, going down from Aosta to Ivrea. Maybe we're too used to Spain?

I tend to have a look at my GPS at least three times a day. It helps when I get lost, but irritates me every time I find out that the Camino is 17 km, while the shortest walking route is only 12...

Thanks for showing us the arrow painter!

Most read last week in this forum